1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreamworks Controversy Meme: TAKE YOUR PICKS!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

Favorite Character: Po and Shifu had a good inter-panda unity buddy dynamic. It's hard to pick between the two.
    Favorite Movie: Kung Fu Panda 3 had the most pandas in it.
    Favorite Scene: Panda party in KFP3

Despised Character: Tigress was a poor guest in the Panda village.
    Despised Villain: Shen, he is a genocider of pandas!
    Despised Movie: KFP2, panda genocide!
    Despised Scene: Panda genocide.

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Response to Oscars

I'm not sure how Coco stands up to other animated movies in general, but in my opinion it is definitely the best of that year.

I believe this is a deliberate snub for . If you go by quality of animated films, Disney and/or Pixar would win roughly 75% of Oscars for animated films. They are trying to prop up Disney's competitors so there can be a competition and the Oscar Academy has a clearly evident bias that they like everyone to get their turn.

Also the Oscars have a bias against movie franchises and Dreamworks best movies are frequently part of franchises, so this tilts things towards Disney and Pixar even more (though Pixar is going through a sequel phase right now).

I agree with a solution Cracked.com proposed that will never ever happen. Wait, three, maybe five years, so the 2019 Oscars would cover 2014 or 2015 movies. Which movies, scenes, and actor's performances are still being talked about? Which movies are part of the cultural zeitgeist? Which movies will stand the test of time. Considering the Oscars are supposed to to be the most prestigious award a movie can receive, they seem to have a poor track record for picking timeless movies.

But then it's harder to have a big party with all the contemporary stars of the current year....

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Exactly why I made my point. I’m sorry but I just think Coco looks especially bad.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

LOL

By the way, you missed out ‘favourite villain’

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  5. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

You should give it a go. It’s a great film and perhaps one of the more heartfelt Pixar films in recent years (the trailers weren’t great however, so I can see why you might think that).

6. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Did you now Mr. Sherlock :p

I have not read the books, so that might in part be why I like the movies so much. In general I think it's the case that if a book is adapted to become a movie, you will be best of watching the movie instead of reading the book (where movie-enjoyment is concerned).

I will admit that the villains were not the best, but I never saw the movies because of them; For me it is all about the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless (and others, but that is not as central) and I think the movies delivered on that front. Furthermore I love the soundtrack; Not that it is necessarily the best on its own, but I feel it suits the setting and mood quite well all the way through.

Now the question is: Will there be a similar thread with Disney Movies? (If there isn't already)

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

[​IMG]

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Dream Works has been making animated movies for about 20 years. Disney has been making animated movies since 1937.

It probably would be best to compare what has to be around 100 movies in subgroups. Besides vast amounts of time separating films. Disney animation has two tiers. If you want to work in Disney animation, they don't let you start on The Lion King or Frozen. They put their newbies to work on their direct-to-TV movies, then if they do well they get promoted to working on major theatrical releases.

9. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

There sure is a difference there in the age of the companies. Maybe just have the main movies and skip any direct-to-TV movies. Then one should of course also consider whether to only consider their animated movies.
    Or maybe just smash it all together and let everyone pick as they choose, I don't know How would do you propose to group them?
    Either way I will wait for what will be.

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

OK, I'm not sure but:

Despised Movie:
    i think I will name Bee Movie.

The best one(s): the trilogy How to train your dragon

Best song: Livin' la Vida Loca - Shrek

Top Scene: Kung fu Panda, the fight with Tai Lung, when he realizes.

11. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Infinity Turtle Well-Known Member

I had to write a grade seven essay on the Prince of Egypt comparing it to the original Biblical account. Looking back, I'm impressed by how much remained the same. A good movie and I would recommend.
    ... I also sung When You Believe as an item at my Middle School Graduation, so I may be biased...

Euh. I really enjoy this movie. This one and Prince of Egypt both had really nice 2D animation (or at least I think so) and I find them both visually appealing. I wish Disney would make some more 2D animations (after watching Mary Poppins Returns and the absolutely stunning 2D animation section, I'm frustrated that there is always a push for realism that isn't really realism in animated movies these days)

*Gasp*
    I absolutely love Wallace and Grommit. The animation, the humour, the detail, the spin offs (shaun the sheep is absolutely faaaaabulous) and perhaps being from Australia or maybe my utter superiority is genetic, but I prefer British humour substantially more, particularly in these cases. (the Australian sense of humour walks a dangerous line if you don't understand it, but is worth it...) I would definitely recommend watching the other short films in the Wallace and Grommit circle (chicken run also included).

Growing up I've been equally exposed to Disney and Dreamworks movies, but many Disney films were made in an era that I particularly love (eg. Robin Hood, 101 Dalmations, Bambi, The Fox and the Hound) and Dreamworks wasn't exactly doing much in the 50s and 60s.

There are many dreamworks films that I haven't seen or that I watched when they first came out, so I was to young to remember (Madagascar 3 was apparently good, but I saw it on a plane when I was little so I can't confirm)

As a kid:
    Favorite Character: Probably Astrid... cause viking + girl
    Favorite Movie: How To Train Your Dragon
    (Dunno... I guess that was when I started remembering things...? Mind you, I felt my dad probably didn't have to explain all of the jokes to me at 7 years old...)

Nowadays as a grown-up-completely-mature-non-emotional-biased-teenager:
    Favorite Character: Grommit (Ginger from chicken run was nice as well)
    Favorite Movie: *violent indecisive screaming*
    Favorite Villian: Rameses from Prince of Egypt would have been pretty good, but he could have been scarier (which kids movies try to avoid i guess...?) and he had a back story that was understandable, etc. but Shen from King Fu Panda 2 has always been a stand out and a fave. Mrs Tweedy from Chicken Run is nightmare fuel... shut up I don't want to talk about it...
    Favourite Scene: I always enjoy the training montage from HTTYD and the When You Believe scene when the Israelites are freed from Egypt (Prince of Egypt). Though the scene in Kung Fu Panda 2 when Po starts to swishy-swish/swingy-swing the flashy-flash/flamey-flame things from the canons back at the bad guys etc.
    Despised Character: Honestly Monkey didn't really do anything... ever...
    Despised Villain: I guess Drago (or whatever his name is...) from HTTYD 2. He just got to look grumpy and yell for a bit. Didn't really have a motive... or personality... or pants i think...
    Despised Movie: I haven't seen enough Dreamworks to have seen a bad one, so I'll just say the Bee Movie for meme's sake

12. Infinity Turtle
    Temple Guard

Infinity Turtle Well-Known Member

Well worth the watch for anyone who’s interested. Every dreamworks film ranked.

13. Scalenex
    Slann

My biggest complaint about the Kung Fu Panda franchise is the Fiercesome Five. Dreamworks spent a lot of money to get a star studded ensemble and also Seth Rogan, but each of the Five only had like four or five lines. I really like Jackie Chan. I have no problem with other three major stars or Seth Rogan, but apart from Lucy Liu, none of them are particularly well known for their voices. Jackie Chan (who played Monkey) is known for his stunt work and facial expressions, not his voice. I like his movies a lot but I never watch his movies to hear him talk.

In Kung Fu Panda 2 and 3 tried to up the role played by Tigress. Why couldn't Lucy Liu have voice acted Tigress? Angelina Jolie doesn't have much acting range, at least not vocally. She did okay in Changeling but for the most part she seems cast for being eye candy and not for her acting talent.

Pixar usually does a great job finding C-list or D-list actors with great vocal range whereas Dreamworks usually tries to snag famous names. Craig T. Nelson was not a big star but he was a great Mr. Incredible. He can certainly convey anger, boredom, despair, and warmth.

Shariffilas Productions is one of my favorite critics. I have never disagreed with any major part of his analysis. I can say I don't dislike twist villains as much as he does. I also think he was a little too harsh on Nicholas Cage and The Croods.

Look at all of his criticism of Matt Damon, a good looking A-list actor who is not a great voice actor. Like a male version of Angelina Jolie.

I skipped out a lot of Dreamworks movies. Based on this I need to watch some movies I skipped such as Peabody and Shermin and The Rise of the Guardians.

I use him to tell me whether I should watch an animated movie or skip it. Just like I use Critical Drinker to screen action movies for me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Infinity Turtle likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I've found Rise of the Guardians to be pretty good, indeed

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.