1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Drougen's noobie thread

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Drougen, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Hey I just recently started getting into AoS from scratch and got the seraphon start collecting pack, Saurus guards, and skink starpriest. I recently am finishing up priming them and have been reading and trying to figure out what to get next, compositions, etc. and have been seeing people talk about certain units mounted on certain models, etc.

Is there anything I need to know before I start gluing these all together? Because if there's a way to mess up something small and have to re-do it, I'm likely to do it on accident for sure...:p

Also some side info, my girlfriend picked up the Sylvaneth starter kit so any small tid bits of info to help her would be great, too.

Tips, general information, or hlepful discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Okay here is my recommendation for starter build.
    Build the Carnosaur, use the skink oracle as a skink priest or starpriest.
    Take one of your knights and maybe give him one of the scar-vet heads, and embellish it to make it a scar-vet on cold one.
    If you want to make a lot of guard, you should be able to convert the warriors into guard with the bits left over from the guard box.
    After that get bastilladon, chameleon skinks or skinks, and ripperdactyls/terradons. Having a shadowstrike is a good starting point. Then eternity warden because shadowstrike combined with eternal is also great.
    A second start collecting set should gibe you enough knights for a fire lance, and bulk out your warriors. Also another carno or a troglodon.

Seraphage, Slanputin and Drougen like this.
  3. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

YMMV, but I always paint most of my models before I glue the shields on. Also, make sure you know whether you want hand weapon or spear before you start using plastic glue on them. Other than that, have fun.

Qupakoco, Drougen and Bowser like this.
  4. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Thanks for the information, so the carnosaur can also be built as a troglodon? But that's not good or at least you want a carnisaur first? (I was totally gonna build trog because I thought it looked cooler) What would be the advantage of converting the warrior's into guards? Are guards just all around better? I mean, would I ever be like "Oh man I need warriors, but all mine are guards" or something?

I was definitely going to get a bastilladon next and likely ripperdactyls after that. I was reading a 1k army composition and someone said a battlemage would be good in it and was thinking about getting one of those is there a way to make a seraphon version of one?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  5. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

How do you decide that? Would it be a good idea to go half and half or something?

Bowser likes this.
  6. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

The general consensus is if you plan on fielding large numbers of them (which usually works best for saurus warriors) then give them spears, if not, stick with swords.

Drougen likes this.
  7. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Well my girlfriend got the Sylvaneth starter kit so it's likely going to just be her and I playing against each other for now in small fights, so probably swords for now and then maybe buy a second starter kit and give them spears? Or if I don't buy another starter set I could just break them off and replace them with spears?

8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

As far as it goes, I would keep about equal amount of guard and warriors. The guard are elite, but the warriors are cheaper and very effective. Rule of thumb for converting a serapjon into a battlemage would be to ensure it is clear that that's what it represents.

Drougen likes this.
  9. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Do you know of any specific sites or anything that are good to look through to get ideas from for color schemes and custom stuff? Like pintrest maybe or something? I want to make my army black and red but am not exactly sure yet...

10. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

If you're only playing with your GF for now, you can get away with not glueing the arms on until you've playtested which you prefer. You could even play your warriors as Guard until you get some. Not sure on paint sites, but if you can find the fifth through seventh ed army books, they have some paint scheme suggestions in them, iirc.

Drougen likes this.
  11. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Hm, that's a good idea! Just glue on the shields but keep the weapon off until I figure out which one I prefer? Thanks for the suggestions! :) 5th - 7th are the only ones with seraphon in the?

12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Slanputin and Drougen like this.
  13. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Fifth through seventh edition Warhammer Fantasy Lizardmen army books had some paint scheme suggestions that you can base your scheme off of. If you are set on black and red, black skin and red scales would look good. I use a similar paint scheme on my Tyranids. Khorne red base, Wazdakka layer, then Evil Sun scarlet, followed by a wash of Carroburg crimson.

Drougen, Bowser and scubrat like this.
  14. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Bowser likes this.
  15. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Yeah, if you google bastiladon someone painted it with a black shell with red parts on it, I really like that! Thanks for the suggestions! :)

I was thinking about black skin with red scales, but was worried they would look too bland and was thinking maybe red skin with black scales?

Bowser likes this.
  16. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

Either will work. Maybe you can try both out on different models and see which you prefer. It won't be that difficult to repaint the one you don't choose.

Drougen and Bowser like this.
  17. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Which should I put on the carnisaur. Old blood or scar veteran? Probably the old blood so I can mount the scar veteran on a raptor, right?

Bowser likes this.
  18. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That works, I find the Oldblood and Scarvet are a bit interchangeable, as most people don't care as long as you use the set of rules for the warscroll you're taking, then absolutely set up one of the scar-vet heads on a Knight body and bulk him up a bit.

Slanputin and Drougen like this.
  19. Drougen
    Saurus

Drougen Member

Yeah, I'm putting old blood on instead because he looks bad ass.

Okay so I'm cutting out pieces so my girlfriend can have something to do tomorrow while I'm at work and was basically going to put all the stuff from an alpha knight and just put the scar-vet head on and make that the scar-vet on cold one, can you do that? There's two cold ones with gold helmets in the start collecting set, so technically I could make the alpha knight and that head for the scar-vet's mount, right?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  20. Zheddikus
    Chameleon Skink

Zheddikus Well-Known Member

That is absolutely something you can do!

Bowser and Drougen like this.