1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"easy to build models"

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Canas, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Anyone else not a fan of the new "easy to build" models that you build by shovin the parts in eachother and don't necesarly need glue? I feel like they're much less forgiving and make for a much tighter fit which frequently means I end up with gaps or stuff just not fitting nicely together, like an arm not neatly fitting down the shoulder cuz the stupid attachement is just slightly too thick thus leaving a noticable gap.

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I never assemble them without glue, always put a good amount of glue in the crevices and afterwards fill the holes, then they work fine.
    I see how it makes sense for starters since you don't need glue and can more quickly put all the stuff together, but I prefer the regular ones.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The issue I keep running into is that the various bits seem to fit so tightly that if you're even slightly off they won't fit nicely. For example I can't get the soul shackles from the new box to actually touch the base unless I simply cut off the bit that slots into the base and just stick it them on their bases. And the purple sun had a horrific amount of gaps, presumably cuz I didn't put one of the things in straight or far enough, but by the time it's noticable it's far too late to fix. It's quite annoying.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The purple sun was the worst so far.
    We used a lot of glue (and pressure applied with the hands despite of that thing being spikey) to keep the gaps small, and then still had to fill some with liquid green stuff.
    Beautiful model though!

The shackles fit decently for me, but finding the angle isn't easy.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yea, I ended up using some of the crappy modelling clay I still had laying around, doesn't look too terrible thanks to how rough the surface of the thing is to begin with. But it's just annoying. And it isn't the first time I've had trouble getting these "easy" models to actually fit in their slots.

Got the shackles to mostly fit together, but they're all slightly hovering above the base as I can't get them down any further. It's annoying as hell.

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Dry Fit??