1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS eBay question

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by PadawanNinja, Jan 30, 2020.

1. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

PadawanNinja Active Member

Hopefully this is in the right place. I'm looking to get into the hobby, but I must admit that shelling out ~$800 for new models for a 2000 pt list is a bit intimidating. Looking thru eBay there seem to be some good deals, but I'm unsure of what specifically to look out for. Meaning square bases, out of print models, etc. Any tips on what to avoid and what to panic and buy now?

Tks!

Dr.Doom and LizardWizard like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome to lustria!

To buy List:
    • Slann
    • Razordons
    • Skinks
    • Engine of the Gods
    • Terradons/Ripperdactyls
    • Saurus Astrolith Bearer
    To Avoid:
    • Skink Chief
    • Skinks with Bows
    • Skinks ridding Cold Ones
    Most of the Lizermen units from WHFBs made it into Seraphon. Several units didn't however. Skinks with Bows, Skink Chiefs, Skink Cold One Riders and Jungle Swarms all got left behind. If you find lots with these models they can still be worth buying though. Most players would not be upset with your skinks not being wysiwyg, ect.

3. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

Well, that was fast!

Ok, all good tips, thanks. What about those with square bases? Get and just rebase if possible? Or is that more of an aesthetic thing?

4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

It is event and group specific. Officially AoS is on round bases. Most players won't mind you have squares in my experience. You can find a full list of base sizes here. Bases are pretty cheap though. So I would worry about the content of the lot more than what it is based on.

Dr.Doom and Imrahil like this.
  5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

if you want to plat AoS your guys need to be on rounds

6. Schwaaah
    Saurus

Schwaaah Active Member

One thing to keep in mind is that we ARE getting a new book soon. What is and is not competitive may be shaken up soon. With that in mind, it may be best to hold off on buying anything until the new army book comes out and seeing how things change.

7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

That being said. Stuff with be cheaper before it release vs after.

8. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

Ok, so rebase anything on squares, got it. If worst comes to worse I can always 3d print out a few and go from there.

I do know there is a new Tome coming out, and that's why I haven't gone as far as to buy one yet. I won't go wild buying stuff, just stick with the SC box, some Skinks, and maybe an Astrolith. Will wait on the rest for the book. I need at least this to get started on learning painting and such as the last time I picked up a paint brush for minis Checkpoint Charlie was still in use.

9. Schwaaah
    Saurus

Schwaaah Active Member

If you pick up the start collecting box, check out the guide by @Crowsfoot here. In it, he tells you how to kit bash an Astrolith bearer, which will save you chunk of change.

10. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

Thanks, I saw that. Right now it may be a bit beyond my skills, and I just bought one off of eBay for ~$18. The real pain is going to be the Razors. $30 per!?!?

11. Schwaaah
    Saurus

Schwaaah Active Member

I think just about everyone on this forum is hoping that the new tome will bring about new plastic razordons. As of right now, they are damn expensive AND you have to fight with finecast.

Personally, if GW doesnt come out with plastic razordons, I am going to try converting some Khorne Flesh Hounds. They're about the right size, and with some greenstuff I figure I can make a decent enough stand-in

12. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

13. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

you can kitbash knight into them fairly easy. not as hard as one would think

Dr.Doom, LizardWizard and Schwaaah like this.
  14. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

<Googles "finecast">
    Yes, I am that new and completely missed that reference. Ok, good to know. Have to be careful with what I get.

I appreciate the thought, but while I'm still learning I'd kind of like to keep to a wysiwyg format. I can already see my confusion, "Ok moving the Razor to, wait... Was this the razor or was it the sallie..." I am that scatterbrained.

Thank you for the confidence in my abilities. Nice to know one of us has a high opinion of me. I probably will at some point, but think I have enough on my plate just relearning painting. And back in the 80s we never cared about this level of detail. Testors paint on lead miniatures, so I have a lot of stuff to unlearn so I can relearn. Going to be an adventure, that's for certain!

15. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

well more luck to ya if you need help just give us a yell

16. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

Oi, who has something against skinks with bows!?

Just give them shields and say they're blowpipes. That's what I'm doing with mine, since I'm more of a fan of the older sculpt than the new ones.

17. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

Oh, sure, that's a totally valid way to play. It just helps me with immersion to have the model be what it is. WYSIWYG and all that.

I may pick them up just to do a recreation of the Battle of Thermopylae with the Seraphon playing the part of the Persians, just dunno yet.

Dracorex and LizardWizard like this.
  18. Dracorex
    Cold One

Dracorex Well-Known Member

A lot of older units have compendium rules, and are still playable in open play or casual games. If you don't want to use those, you can always play them as similar units, like using a skink chief model for a skink priest. If you aren't using them for base decorations, the snakes from the Cold Ones kit can be used to make jungle swarms. If you really want to save money, you should use Blue Stuff. It may take a little practice before you get used to it, but I can't praise this enough!

LizardWizard likes this.
  19. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Fleshhounds make good razors too.

LizardWizard likes this.