1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Elite Guard of Texustria (painting stuff)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by rychek, Mar 9, 2013.

1. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Now that I have taken possession of my new army, I need to start painting it. Very few of the models are currently painted, so I can do just about any color scheme I want. I figure I'll paint the skinks many different colors, but the saurus are driving me crazy. I can't decide on a color scheme. :(

I've mostly been experiementing with blues (it is my favorite color after all) and purples, but it just feels wrong. I think I want to use black as the skin/underbelly color (haven't tried this yet), or maybe orange. Part of me wants to use blue, but my Elves are largely blue and I'd prefer something different. Green is flat out not an option as I also have an Orc & Goblin army. Besides, to me, green lizards are too "normal". :)

I've hit google image search as well as several posts in this forum, but haven't found anything that really resonates with me or my army. Any thoughts or sources of inspiration would be greatly appreciated!

I'll try to get some pics of my current efforts posted tomorrow....

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Need Army Theme Color Help

Wow! Now that is a handy tool! Thanks for the link.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

No problem,
    oh there are links to some color wheel type tools later on that that link.

5. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I've decided on a blue/orange scheme. Blue on the skin, orange on the scales. I'll post some WIP pics in a new thread once I get going on it.

I changed my mind on starting a new thread. This one will work well enough. :)

6. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Need Army Theme Color Help (Colors Chosen)

Here a few pics, with and without flash, of my test models. Sorry about the poor depth of field. I didn't really check the settings when I was snapping these pics. dSLRs can be great, but they can be a pain when you're in a hurry. I don't have a really clear plan for these colors. I'm mostly experimenting as I go, so they may turn out hideous. Then again, I may end up loving them. Time will tell.

IMG_9526_zps1690ae04.jpg

IMG_9524_zps2c084bfb.jpg

IMG_9525_zps67ea001d.jpg

IMG_9527_zpsed179985.jpg

7. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I spent a few hours working on these three tonight. I'm still not completely satisfied with how they are turning out, but I'm getting there.

I did a black wash then added lighter orange, red then the original orange again. On the skin I added a light brushing of turquoise blue. I painted the bronze on the crest and spine as well, though it doesn't really stand out next to the orange scales. I may need to rethink my metal color a bit.

IMG_9536_zps45e94bfb.jpg

IMG_9535_zps48247aba.jpg

I was going to take more/better pics, but my camera battery died as I was taking these. I'll get some better shots next time I have the camera out.

8. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Black wash definitely did good to the models, but I think orange and blue washes would be even better. I like your colour scheme, it's interesting. Blue could use some more highlighting, though. Maybe you could hit your current blue with couple of washes of blue and then paint the raised areas with the blue again, to get more depth and variance. Also, I think the spikes on the back would look great in bone colour, together with your orange backs. Hopefully this helps, I think your Saurus Warriors are coming along nicely. I'm curious to see your Skinks, also! Good luck with your painting and hopefully you'll keep the pictures coming!

PS. You can change the subject that everyone sees on the topics list by choosing your first post and editing the Subject there. This way you could change the subject to let people know that it is your actual paint log and not a help thread.

9. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've only ever used black for washing, so I'll have to try using different color washes. You can't really tell from the pictures, but the baby blue base color has been hit with a light layer of turquoise. Though I think I'll wash it with a darker blue then highlight with baby blue/turquoise again.

I haven't started on the skinks yet, but I will once I finish the first unit of saurus. Though I might slip a slann in between.

Hopefully I can try the washes tonight.

10. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Elite Guard of Texustria (PLOG).

I had my first 2500 pt game with the lizards today. Faced off against Dwarves. I don't have the entire list details, but we ended the game at the end of turn 4 and the dwarves were pretty much done for. He only had a cannon, organ gun, two smallish (<15 models) units of elite dwarves and 10 miners remaining while I had two units of Saurus (>20 models) and a Skrox unit with all three Krox and ~20 skinks as well as my skink priest and slann. Comet of Cassandora was pending a drop in the middle of what was left of his artillery section as well. I don't have enough detail for a true batrep, but suffice it to say I am very pleased with how well my lizards performed. Despite my miserable dice rolling skills. :) Since it was my first battle with lizards, first battle at my local GW store and my first Lizard victory, I celebrated by purchasing a new Old-Blood model.

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Congrats on the victory! Castleing dwarves deserve a meteor to the face.

12. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

That was the plan, but he couldn't castle. He was spread out due to the Dawn Attack Scenario. I did manage to land a 4 marker comet on his Rune Smith/forge thing. But with T10 it didn't do a whole lot. I had a second comet pending on his cannon and organ gun when we called the game though. I'm finding I really like the comet.

13. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I've been tinkering again. I decided to focus one of the three saurus I've been working on and, so far, I like the result. Here are a few quick shots of a nearly complete saurus:

IMG_9564_zps87e4fde7.jpg

IMG_9562_zpsee71c354.jpg

IMG_9561_zpsd58c8279.jpg

I feel like I need to do more work on the spines, claws and teeth. They feel too light at this point. However, I like the way the shield and metal came out. I'm not good with really fine detail, so I probably won't do much more to the face and what not, but it more than good enough for the table top.

What do you think? Thoughts, suggestions, critiques? I'm all ears. :)

14. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I've had the table setup today, so I decided to take a full army shot. I feel like I have two small armies, what with all the duplicates, but I like it that way. :)

IMG_9566_zps0e9a0cc8.jpg

Something else I've been working on today is my Slann. I wanted him to match the Saurus I'm working on and I like the way he's coming along. This is just the base coat, so lots more to do yet.

IMG_9572_zps1131aec8.jpg
    I have closeups of most individual units if you'd like a close look. Just ask.

15. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

What a great looking force, a whole army shot is awesome! The screaming orange Slann is coming along nicely, too. I'm eager to see it finished. And what comes to close-ups, I would like to see what you have done with your Cold-Ones, if you don't mind posting some pictures of them?

Anyhow, great going, keep it up!

16. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Sure thing on the Cold Ones. I'll take a better picture tonight, though I have to admit that I did not paint the few Cold One models that are painted. The friend I bought them from did. In all honesty, the only things in that picture that I have painted are six of the hw/shield Saurus (most of what looks painted are barely basecoated and I will be completely repainting them in the near future anyway) and the orange Slann.

I'll also post a new pic of my Slann (I think I've finished him, for the most part) and my WIP Carnasaur that I started last night.

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

for Spikes, I find a light wash of sepia,
    folowed by a wash of delvin mud (brown wash) near the base of the spine,
    and maybe a llight highlight of the end of the spike last...
    I find this works great.

Ps. I realy like the way the rest of your saurus turned out. :smug:

[see weapons for example]
    100_1561.jpg

18. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Hmm.... I like the look of those spines, however I don't have access to any GW paints. I have a whole load of craft paints though. What color is sepia? Some sort of beige or light brown?

19. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Sepia is a yelowish brown, similar to tan
    http://akvis.com/img/examples/coloriage/sepia-photo/sepia-photo.jpg

I don't use a lot of GW paint either (mostly craft paint), but the one thing I do splurge on is their washes.

but it's also worth noting that you can make your own decent washes with...
    http://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2007/FutureFloorPolish.JPG
    Future (baiscily the stuff is clear acrylic paint)
    add a couple of drops with your craft paint and a drop or two of water (depending on paint used)
    and you have a decent wash.... sadly it won't dry mat the way GW's stuff does. but still rather decent.

20. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I think I've got the right color paint to make a sepia wash (or close enough that it shouldn't matter much). I've mostly used black washes, but after taking a quick read through a how to paint miniatures site that you posted in a different thread, I have a few things to try