1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Emerald life sworn w/ Saurus Guard

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Womboski, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Womboski
    Temple Guard

Womboski Well-Known Member

I was toying with the idea of trying an eternal starhost, but my meta has a fair amount of mortal wounds flying around from charges, spells and abilities. I figured maybe a relic or endless spell could help.

What I ended up with was emerald lifeswarm. It doesn't negate mortal wounds, but I couldn't find a good relic to defend from the variety of ways I would be receiving mortal wounds, at least it could return 1-3 guards(or none if my opponent moves it away). Guards cost 90pts(18pts a model), the emerald swarm is 60pts, so bring back 4 guards and you get it's points back. Still not sure if it's worth the point investment, but I was having a hard time thinking what else could protect them from any kind of mortal wound. What are y'alls thoughts?

Also the prismatic wall could help them. Place it right in front of the guards(they might get -1 to hit for their attacks but oh well) and your opponents can't shoot spells or range attacks at them.

Also combine both of those with a starpriest and coronal shield relic. Possible -3 to hit. Cuz Seraphon are shiny star dinos..

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

This can definitely work. You do have have to consider that your opponent might end up with control over the Lifeswarm though.

Womboski likes this.
  3. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Lifeswarm is not a panacea. It can help if your opponent has a medium amount of MW. And you should use a big squad of at least 10 guards, better 15-20. 5 models unit could be wiped out in a single turn without chance of revival. Lens of Refraction from Hysh artefacts can help against mortal wounds from magic, but it works only once per phase. So if you run against BCR with double thundertusk, your guard will be wiped out quickly anyway. Don't rely on palisade - your opponent may just walk around it and -1 to-hit from it is very random and could hurt you too. Guard is not a unit you want to bring in competitive play, unfortunately.

LizardWizard and Womboski like this.
  4. Womboski
    Temple Guard

I figured it still wouldn't make them a high end list. I figured it would be for a group of 10-20 guards. At least if they walk around the wall they gotta charge farther.

The more I look into other armies the more empty our saurus feel. Really feels like our 5+ saves were balanced around mystic shield still giving +1 to save

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Yeah, we need a new battletome badly. I really would like Eternal Starhost bonus to be 5+ save-after-save against mortal and standart wounds instead of another +1 to armor.

Womboski and LizardWizard like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Mwha, the main issue is losing control over the lifeswarm. It hinges a bit too much on the spell so it'l probably not be practical. Maybe if you could figure out a way to Ensure the swamr is Always near em, but without that I'd guess that a good opponent will either end up dispelling it, or moving it away. Or better yet, put in so much firepower at once your guard don't even get the change to stand up. There's a bit many parts that need to go just right.

Womboski and Nart like this.
  7. Womboski
    Temple Guard

That was one of the biggest weaknesses I thought about emerald swarm. Could take the relic that lets you get a free dispell. So you could cast it to heal and dispells it. Probably way to much invested into the swarm tho lol. That combo would work better with casting pendulum, dispelling it and casting it again next turn.

Canas likes this.
  8. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

You cannot dispell a spell with Light of Dracothion or similar abilities - it was FAQ'ed. You can only do this when it cast - on when it is already on the table.

9. Womboski
    Temple Guard

Not the light of dracothion. It's a relic from the sorcery expansion. Let's the hero unbind 1 endless spell in your hero phase, if the hero is a wizard it does not stop it from casting a spell. I forget it's name and I don't have the book on hand.