1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Engine of the Gods in Matched Play

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by KDeTro, Aug 24, 2016.

1. KDeTro
    Skink

KDeTro Member

I was looking at the rules for matched play, and anything you summon must come from a pool set up at the beginning of the game. The Engine summons on a random roll of 14 - 17 if I remember correctly. So how is everyone playing it? If you don't bring any summoning pool it seems like the Engine isn't really worth the risk of doing nothing for one or more turns. Thoughts?

Bowser likes this.
  2. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

It is still potentially useful in a pure Seraphon Allegiance, as it is one of our only sources of Mortal Wounds (albeit an unreliable one). I would argue that it would only be useful as a requisite for the Thunderquake Starhost and/or taken alongside a Slann. This would give you access to a pretty good formation for your heavy hitters, or at least with the Slann, some modicum of control over what results you get when you roll. Also worth considering would be the Skink Starseer, as its re-rolls and unique spell could also help you fudge the results in your favour. But is it really worth all this investment? Probably not, no.

Final verdict- Passable, but ineffiecient and requires a network of buffs to even remotely shine.

Bowser likes this.
  3. KDeTro
    Skink

KDeTro Member

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I was kinda liking the Thunderquake Starhost, which is why I was asking the question. Thanks.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yeah, Thunderquake with a slann/lord kroak can be brutal. Roll 4 choose 3 still gives you the chance to pick something lower. And as @InfamousBeany said a few rerolls and you actually might pull off that double turn.
    Not the best unit for matched play, but definitely playable.

5. Raptor_00
    Skink

Raptor_00 Member

The local club here ruled that if you don't have summon pool choices then the lower level roll take effect. In this case D3 mortal wounds to enemies within 10" on 4+. Same for Skaven screaming Bell and the other models that do this same thing.
    Until we get a GW FAQ on it, that seems to be the best play for it.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That's how I house ruled it as well, though in friendly matches sometimes the opponent just says go on, show me your worst! Usually though the game is already pretty well over by the point where we allow that!

7. KDeTro
    Skink

KDeTro Member

I'll talk about it with my group. That makes sense to me.

Bowser likes this.