1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Engine of the Gods or Skystreak bow?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Wazz, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

I'm torn between the two and was wondering how people felt about either and their tales of glory/failure with one or the other.

2. Kultak
    Skink

Kultak Member

It depends on what the intent is. I brought one of each to a battle and I must say that they performed as planned.

The Stegadon picked at targets at a distance until it got within charge range and the Engine of the Gods just proceeded to randomly mess with my opponent from turn one. He didn't know what to expect from it. One turn he gets blasted with a bolt of energy, the next turn a new Seraphon unit got added to the army. In the end he decided to kill the EotG first. Helped me out, I wanted the range of the bow! In a second battle I put two Stegadons on the table. My opponent was not happy (I was!).

One thing to remember: Charge, and if at all possible attack with them first!

Wazz likes this.
  3. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Utter defeat of my foes!! is the intent haha. I wish I had two to use! From your story I'm leaning more toward the engine for sure now. I like the randomness it can provide makes it hard to plan against. My army currently is a unit of cav and an old blood on cold one with 2 sides of temple guard hopefully soon lol. Thanks for sharing and the charge in tip!

4. Kultak
    Skink

Kultak Member

I hear you! What is your opponent using? Don't under estimate the Sunfire Throwers, specially if you are going to park the Stegadon on a big unit of infantry.

Wazz likes this.
  5. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

As of right now it's wood elves. My friend and I just started playing so were learning against each other before we go to a local shop lol. I've thought about the sun throwers but bc his army has 20" range the bow seemed more appealing, but with the engine you get all those and more haha. The old blood on cold one and calv make short work of other infantry the extra attacks on the mounts and lucky rolls on the old bloods wep are great! Well IMO lol

6. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

It entirely depends on your army as a whole rather than anything else. A big part of the game now, which too few people pay attention to, is the fact that unit synergies are vital and extremely powerful.

In my opinion, if you don't have a Slann, the Engine is worthless. If you do, it's okay due to the extra dice you get for using it, but it ultimately depends on how much ranged firepower you have already. If you have little, I'd go with the regular Stegadon over the Engine. If you have enough already, or play a defensive army, the engine is better.

But if you have, say, Kroak or Tetto'Eko, the Engine becomes much better thanks to the rerolls you get that can be used towards it. And Kroak counts as a Slann for the extra engine dice too. But if you have both any Slann and Tetto'Eko, the Engine becomes a must-have. Combining rerolls, the extra dice, and Tet's Curse of Fates on the Engine, the precise control you get over the engine is insane and makes the time stopping roll actually reasonably viable, though still not a surefire thing.

If you do use the Engine though, and as counter-productive as this may sound, don't charge with it. Keep it in your back line with your Slann because the Engine is a support unit despite being a charge-monster, and is a support unit first and foremost.

Wazz likes this.
  7. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

The whole slann thingwas something I was wondering about actually. Painted and assembled I have a unit of skinks,Calvary, old blood on cold one, old blood and Gor-rok. I still have to build my 2 units of temple guard, Saurus, Kroq on carnosaur. If I don't do the engine can I use the skink priest that comes with the Stegadon kit as it's own model?

8. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

Of course you can! Just pop him on a base and you have a "free" Skink Priest. The same can be done for the Skink Chief as well.

Bainbow and Wazz like this.
  9. Kultak
    Skink

Kultak Member

That's what I did!

Wazz likes this.
  10. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Fantastic! That's another thing I'll have to consider haha. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

11. Lord Kroak
    Skink

Lord Kroak New Member

I just played against a warriors of chaos army and the engine of the gods made me abble to call kroq-gar on carnosaur wich made me win the battle :) if you are against a strong close range army you should consider taking that engine for the extra units (only in AoS).
    Against an army with strong monsyers i would recomend a skystreak bow for taking down that large monsters

Wazz likes this.
  12. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

I disagree, there are alternative monster hunters, there's nothing that can do what the Engine can do. Hell, the Engine's D6 wounds can also blast monsters too.

Wazz and Lord Kroak like this.
  13. Lord Kroak
    Skink

Lord Kroak New Member

I agree its just not as relying when the engine takes some wounds... Then the damage of the bow is still high but that engine is still the better pick for me

Wazz likes this.
  14. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Ah but you forget, roll a 3-5 on the Engine and it heals itself. Hard to do on three dice, two dice though? Last time somebody knocked my Engine down to two dice, it just healed back up to three.

Wazz likes this.
  15. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Ah but you forget, roll a 3-5 on the Engine and it heals itself. Hard to do on three dice, two dice though? Last time somebody knocked my Engine down to two dice, it just healed back up to three.

Wazz likes this.
  16. Lord Kroak
    Skink

Lord Kroak New Member

Thats surely true

17. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

I did a "trial run" against my friend who used a unit of glade guard and Aroloth vs my engine. After I wrecked his glade guard, He got the engine down to 1 health got the heal roll and finished Aroloth off. I'm going to try the bow next time and see how I like it. I like how you have a greater rend with the horns with the bow and it gives me a skink priest and chief too use as separate units lol

Bainbow likes this.
  18. Lord Kroak
    Skink

Lord Kroak New Member

You know that it is in the same box do you? Only like the howdah changes into an engine. So the box includes a skin priest and chief anyway :)

Wazz likes this.
  19. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Yeah. You don't need the Priest on the back of it for the Engine to work. Hell, if anyone is using the Engine, it's typically a nearby Slann now.

Lord Kroak and Wazz like this.
  20. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Lol yeah that's what I meant about having the priest and chief as separate units my horrible grammar just got in the way haha. I think with the few trial runs with my full army (that i have built anyway) it'll help me decide as well. Thanks again guys! I'll keep you posted!!

Lord Kroak likes this.