1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Explain Armor Of Silvered Steel

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by teufelhund, Sep 26, 2014.

1. teufelhund
    Chameleon Skink

teufelhund New Member

I've searched through a few pages of posts and haven't been able to find what I am looking for... Can anyone explain this item to me? Does it mean that the wearer will have a 2+ armor save no matter what? I've never used the item and was looking for ways to kit out a mass of scar-vet cowboys under the 50% on Lords and Heroes and if if it's the way I am interpreting it; this and a luck stone seem awesome... And I'm oblivious to why I haven't used this combination before.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Probaly becuse we can get a 2+ Armor save easier than most . (and +1 for that matter)
    (cold one, sheild, light armor, scaley skin) :D :bored:

3. teufelhund
    Chameleon Skink

teufelhund New Member

Yeah... I do consistently have 1+ characters, but does the item seriously imply that hey my armor will stop a cannon ball on a 2+ everytime? I mean a 1+ is great and all, but you always fail an a save on a 1 and most of the time there's higher strength or great weapons that make it much worse. Am I correct in my interpretation?

4. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

lordkingcrow Active Member

No. It simply means that you give it to a character and they have a 2+ armor save that "cannot be improved". So if you give the character a shield, it won't give him a 1+ save. Not really that big a thing for us as, stated above, we can get that pretty easy. Cannon balls don't allow armor saves anyway. :depressed:

5. teufelhund
    Chameleon Skink

teufelhund New Member

I was thinking it went the other way... Oh well I can dream, but it'll never happen. Thanks guys.

6. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

Not a problem! :)

7. Demelain
    Skink

Demelain Member

actually, a cannonball allows an armor save just fine, its just that its str10 giving it a -7 modifier to the save rendering any armor useless.

8. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Which is essentially equal to "ignores armour".

It wouuld have been interesting with an item that granted an unmodifiable armour save. Not 2+ though, but maybe something like 4+, which would still be affected by armour piercing and ignore armour, but not strength.

Also a way to make AP more useful, as right now, you'd never prefer +1 AP over +1S, kinda like how Flaming are right now.

+2 unmodifiable would be pretty broken though. Silvered Steel + talisman of preservation = 2+ unmodified AS/4+ Ward save. You'd be ridiculously tough to kill, and stuff like cannons would bounce right off you.

9. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

Thanks SilverFaith. I didn't want to re-state the obvious. :D I agree with you. It would be pretty cool to have an item that ignored high armor reducing hits like that though. It would help against gun lines. I hope that next edition they include something along those lines. Dwarves (my other army) are pretty nasty this edition. I don't like playing gun lines with them anymore because it's too broken. As much as I have always loved the little stunted people, I think they've been given an unfair advantage.