1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Star Wars films and Characters?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I like all of 1, 2, 3 and Rogue One equally because they are more realistic (more good people die, which is what happens in real-life) and I just prefer the Republic era, although Rogue One did make me more interested in the Galactic Civil War. As for fave characters, I'd say Obi-Wan, Count Dooku, Qui-Gon and General Grievous from prequels and all the characters from Rogue One because I thought they were brilliant!

Warden, NIGHTBRINGER, n810 and 2 others like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Now we don't see eye to eye on character selection although I agree with your opinion on Rogue one.

Darth Vader, Han solo, Yoda, C3PO and Emperor Palpatine in that order.

NIGHTBRINGER, Bowser and Ritual like this.
  3. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I would strongly disagree about Rogue One... I thought it was a good story, but absolutely atrocious in terms of character development. I literally didn't give a hoot regarding all the character deaths that occurred.

The most interesting part about it was Vader kicking ass, and I had to sit through a lot of people I didn't know or care about dying to get there.

I'm aware a lot of people really like Rogue One though, and I'm glad they did it. I just thought the character development was so bad it ruined the rest of it.

New Hope is the one true god among SW films... My favourite character would probably be Han Solo.

NIGHTBRINGER, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

New hope is excellent but for me Return of the Jedi is the best followed by Empire strikes back.

I too loved it when Vader appears in Rogue one but telling the back story to how the plans were stolen I thought that was clever.

NIGHTBRINGER, Bowser and Ritual like this.
  5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Han Solo? Really? I just don't understand why he's so popular - he's cocky, arrogant, lucky-as-hell and ridiculously overpowered. The only reason he survived as long as he did was because the Original Trilogy was supposed to be escapist, which is fine in the 70s where things were really unpleasant but not really that entertaining now where realism should be more appreciated. I also don't understand how the character development in rogue one was bad - they were more realistic than in the OT.

And my view is Empire is overrated I feel. Luke was just so stupid in it that it really annoyed me and spoilt my enjoyment of it. Also the Space Slug was done terribly.

I did enjoy seeing Vader slaughter the rebels because until then I thought he wasn't that threatening because the only person he killed was poor old Captain Antilles in A New Hope.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I was close to putting Jabba in my top 5 characters, Han solo is your lovable rogue, cocky, yes, arrogant, yes, luck as hell, hell yes that's what makes him so good!!

Bowser likes this.
  7. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

That is why I like him.

NIGHTBRINGER, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Tell me all the characters names without Googling it...

9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Jyn erso, Galen erso, Saw geera, Whats his face with the good gun in Battlefront, Blind guy, erm, erm

Only remember them as they all died!

Bowser likes this.
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Meh. A New Hope and Return of the Jedi were good - they're timeless, even for a prequels fanatic like me.

For a rogue character I prefer Baze Malbus - he served as a mercenary on occasion and enjoys terminating Imperials in volleys of blaster shot. Or Jango Fett - at least he actually killed someone, which his 'son' didn't.

Although Jabba is also a good character - corpulent, repulsive, very slow-moving but intelligent, canny and able to resist mind tricks like all Hutts.

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Saw Gererra (Chap in the suit), Chirrut Imwe (blind monk), Baze Malbus (Chirrut's friend with the big gun), Director Krennic(villain of the piece), Cassian Andor (Spanish chap), K-2SO (droid), Bodhi Rook (pilot), Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Jyn Erso (Heroine), Galen Erso (Her dad), Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader, Admiral Raddus (Mon Calamari character), Bistan (space monkey), Pao (tortoise alien), Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba (who appear again in a New Hope) and loads of Rebel pathfinders and stormtroopers.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Bowser likes this.
  12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Personally, all the movies are alright, I prefer the concept to the actual movies. But there is so much that can be done with that universe. I think my favourite would be the Knights of the old Republic game from way back, and HK-47 is my favourite character out of all star wars franchises.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Best movies:
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi (might have been #1 if not for the Ewoks)
    3. A New Hope
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Force Awakens
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Phantom Menace (best lightsaber fight though)

I didn't rate Rogue One because it is very different from the rest. I'll have to watch it a couple more times before slotting it into the list.

Best Characters:
    1. Yoda
    2. Vader
    3. Palpatine
    4. Han Solo
    5. C-3PO & R2D2
    If we're allowed to include characters from outside the movies, than Darth Bane and Trawn would definitely make the list for me. Bane would probably be in second spot after Yoda.

14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You forgot the Christmas special.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I like that about as much as George Lucas does. ;)

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Might I ask why Empire is your favourite? Phantom Menace is one of mine because I like the Gungans, although not so much Jar Jar. He was my favourite when I first saw Star Wars but since then I have grown to prefer Obi-Wan and General Grievous, along with Captain Tarpals, the Gungan leader who marshals Otoh Gunga in Phantom Menace and sacrifices himself to capture Grievous in Clone Wars. I don't think Jar Jar is annoying, but I prefer the Gungan Soldiers because I think they're epic. Here's my list in order then:

Phantom Menace
    Rogue One
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Return of the Jedi
    A New Hope
    Force Awakens
    Empire Strikes Back

The pure reason why Empire is at the Bottom is because I felt they made Luke really idiotic which spoilt it a bit. I like all Star Wars though.

Yoda is an epic character, especially when he fought Dooku and Sidious.
    I'll give you my best and worst character lists as well:
    Best:
    Obi-Wan
    Yoda
    General Grievous
    Captain Tarpals
    Count Dooku
    Darth Maul
    Baze Malbus
    Chirrut Imwe
    K2SO
    Chewie

Worst:
    Ahsoka Tano (far more annoying than Jar Jar in my eye)
    Boba Fett (he never actually did much in the films)
    Luke (in episode 5 because he was an idiot, but in 6 and 7 he's very good)
    Jawas
    Anakin (only in Episode 1 because he sounded too sarcastic - I think they got the wrong actor in for the job)
    I can only think of 5 bad characters (more if you count each individual Jawa)

I've never seen the infamous Holiday Special because I'm British and it never came out in Britannia

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Lots of reasons. I like the darker tone of the movie. The Vader father of Luke reveal is probably among the best moments in the entire franchise. Best of all it features the debut of my favourite character; Yoda.

That said, I would rate Return of the Jedi higher if it wasn't for the Ewoks.
    Hahaha... we're complete opposites. I hate the Gungans. LOL

Darth Maul was pretty epic though!

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Empire shows Luke evolving into a man and if I had to put them in a list,

Return of the Jedi
    Empire Strikes back
    New Hope
    Revenge of the Sith
    Phantom Menace
    Rogue one
    Attack of the clones
    Force Awakens

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Me too and our top 5 characters are almost identical!

20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The gungans weren't so bad, decent design choices, I liked their orb weapons. I think it was forcing the one character in that left a bad taste in people's mouths, and out of all the gungans, he seemed like he may hvae had some sort of mental handicap. So the species itself isn't bad.