1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS First AoS campaign up for pre-order (Realmgate Wars)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/The-Realmgate-Wars-Quest-For-Ghal-Maraz-ENG

I have a very strong feeling that this is was GW want to do. I bet you that they'll go for a lot of "epic" campaigns that'll be "balanced". It fits with the theme that the game should is easier and faster to start up and play.

In a way I actually really like that. I wished that GW would've done this more with WHFB. Blood of Sigmar sounded very fun, but only 2 factions and the battle reports I saw they the armies weren't really balanced.

What say you - yay or nay?

I say for what the game currently is then yay. It's basically something I can pick up and play with my neighbor, which is great.

2. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Nay for me, Mostly because: No Lizards

3. Leviathus
    Skink

Leviathus New Member

I really like the idea and I'd love to pick it up.... but it's so grossly expensive.... And if it had Lizardmen in it I would probably swallow my pride and buy it.

So nay for me for now. Not that I don't think it's not a good product but the price just really puts me off. :(

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

AoS very quickly moved away from "free rules". I think it will be a very costly venture to stay current with the AoS game system.

Scalenex and DanBot like this.
  5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Quoted exactly above...my edit below:

Description

The mortal realms hang in the balance...

The whereabouts of Sigmar’s sacred hammer, the weapon of legend known as Ghal Maraz, has been discovered. Limited is the foremost goal on the mind of the God-King, who sends twelve Stormhosts to the Hanging Valleys of Anvrok, determined to retrieve it at any cost. Meanwhile, in the foetid reaches of Rotwater Blight, the search for Alarielle’s Hidden Vale continues apace. Can the Stormcast Eternals forge an alliance with the Sylvaneth before the pestilent tide of Nurgle’s foul magic consumes their world entirely?

The first book in the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Realmgate Wars series, this is an absolute must-have for any and all Warhammer fanatics! Within its pages you’ll
    [find?] details of the thrilling narrative as the Stormcast Eternals press on in their quest to recover Sigmar’s sacred hammer, with in-depth descriptions and backgrounds of all the factions involved. Detailed stage-by-stage painting guides are included, with beautiful, evocative photography and artwork.

As well as all this, you’ll find a wealth of battleplans, warscrolls and Time Of War rules, as well as all the rules required to play exciting games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

6. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

This is how I'm feeling. Cost for me includes both money and time.

I do like GW books though. Yay for me. Pretty pictures.

Slanputin likes this.
  7. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Hard to tell how many pages it has.
    Plus the Clawpack Pestilent rules are the exact same as the free pdf version but it's a thought for me to think about. I like having books rather than random pieces of paper.

8. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Lord Grok Of Xillaqua Well-Known Member

I agree, since books are easier to manage than fortune cookie-like sheets. I won't, however, be picking up the book since it has no lizards in it and I'm not very interested in the story. In fact, the plot feels too much like some of the recent Marvel movies like "Guardians of The Galaxy" & "Avengers".

In a Nutshell:

Groups A,B,C must fight Groups D, E, F to retrieve Object X

I didn't expected an 100% original GW fluff story, but it just feels incredibly shallow and devoid of personable beings. Sigmar might be the center focus of the story but who can actually relate to his struggle or quest? At least The End Times had that going for some of its characters. Ex. Teclis tried to help save his people and the larger world but in doing so set in motion events that led to the resurrection of Nagash, another elven civil war, and the sinking of Ulthuan. His struggle for wanting to do good even though his actions had (somewhat) unintended consequences is compelling and filled with personal dimensions (i.e. his brother Tyrion becomes the "Avatar of Kaine" and causes further bloodshed through Teclis' indirect manipulation of events). Where is that in The Quest for Object X?

9. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

I don't know Hammerhand and Goldemane seem pretty cool and very different. I can't remember the name of Hammerhand's new commander of Prosecutors but he seems pretty cool too. And Khorgos Khul might be the only Chaos character I like other than Festus.

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well... maybe the next one will have Lizardmen... :meh:

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Is this a prophecy from our revered Mage-Lord?

12. Eubrontes
    Skink

Eubrontes New Member

http://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/101

Seraphon get a mention in the 7th image down. Idk how big the book is but is possible we get some more mentions.

Also I wonder if as more of these Realm gate Wars books/installments come out if different factions will be highlighted in each (I am getting sick of just seeing more chapters of Sigmarmarines, I accept them as part of the game, do you have to shove them in everything?)
    This book seems to focus on the Realms of Life and Metal, one about the realm of death will bring in the undead, the realm of beasts will show us the greenskins Ogors and Trolls (forgot their new name)
    My hope is one involves us (because we are now mobile due to our floating temple-cities/lustria bubbles) performing a strike into Skavenblight itself as sweet revenge.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Welcome to 40k... I mean Age of Sigmar. ;) Better get used to it.

14. Carrp
    Skink

Carrp Member

I've been reading the black library books, and the stormcasts are pretty relatable. Like Vandus having to choose between Sigmars plan and his own thirst for revenge. Or Jactos trying to outdo Vandus to prove his worth by taking on Khul alone.
    Even the insignificant characters like the retributer champion Theodorus get cool back-stories that make you cheer for them.

I don't read the $70 campaign books usually but as far as the black library goes, these have been pretty awesome.

As far as the campaign books, I didn't buy any of the end times big books because I'm not a huge fan of scenarios anyways, and I find them too pricey. I probably wont buy any of these either. They seem cool and all but I'm fine with AoS pick up games without all the extra campaign stuff.

15. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Lord Grok Of Xillaqua Well-Known Member

I should've mentioned in my original rant that I was referring only to the Campaign books released thus far (so comparing the AoS campaign books to "End Times" campaign books). I'm sure the BL books will flesh out many new characters in the new setting, as that is the best medium to expand upon the AoS setting.

16. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

I'm off to pick up a copy today of the campaign book today, the manager held one for me. Doesn't really say if the Plague Censer Bearers are still webstore only, I will just see what will happen today.
    From thinking so far, it seems most of the factions appeared in the End Times had a major role (Glottkin and Skaven, except the Wood Elves, Wood creatures) it feels they are focusing on those first.

My boyfriend won't be getting any of the books as he finds the Stormcast Eternals are the main spotlight and nothing else, they seem to be superior than anyone else he says.