1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW First game review

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by Crowsfoot, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Played Undead v Ogres (lists are in the army list section)

All I can say the game is brilliant although we are still learning it was fast paced and tactical, terrain plays a huge part in how you will attack your enemy.

After turn 5 the Undead had routed the complete Ogre force losing only one unit of wraiths, how charging and nerve work is just a really good addition.

After using the KOW army builder thanks too @Itepixcauh it is really clean and my 1250 Undead list was on 1 sheet of A4 helping to keep the game flowing as your not flicking through pages or finding warscrolls.

Only 1 game played but I doubt we will play anything else, loved it and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new game system.

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Definitely going to have to look into this now. Not going to stop AOS, but might be a nice change of pace every once in a while.

Itepixcauh and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Just use the free rules and try out the 1250 Salamander list posted by @Lord Grok Of Xillaqua put it into the army builder and have a game, Ive done a few other lists and the Undead one seems pretty strong.

Warden, Itepixcauh and Bowser like this.
  4. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

I'm really pleased to hear that, it seems we did a great job with those undead. Too good I'm guessing. What army list did you use in the end?

Ogres is a hard army to command, they hit hard but their numbers are low and that is a huge disadvantage.

Trust me the game gets even better the more you play and find what tactis and tricks work better with each army.

I'm also glad you took our advice on terrain, you have to play this game with terrain, it is very important or you will get a wrong impression.

How long did your game last?

Warden, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I went with the final undead and ogre list we came up with the game lasted under 2 hrs and we missed some bits like me using surge and heal, the ogres didn't go easily and if they were positioned closer together the game would have been an ogre win, the units that stood out in the undead army were the zombie trolls and wights they destroyed a warlock, giant and seigebreaker regiment.

Warden, Bowser and Itepixcauh like this.
  6. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

You will get the rules perfect in a few games. They are simple but master them is not easy. Please keep us updated with the games you play.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Oh don't worry I will be posting reports, painting KOW, multibasing the lot, this game needs to be played, I actual looked at the AOS warscrolls for a few units and it now feels like AOS is trying to copy KOW simplicity but gets it totally wrong.

8. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Well well, it seems I sparked a small revolution coming here... I like that!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

So, what does a Salamander Mage Priest 'look' like?

I do not have a Slann model, I don't have any Mantic models... I would like to scratch build something that could switch from one game to the other.

Bowser likes this.
  10. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

I just use my skink priests, for official tournaments I will make a custom 25x25 mm movement tray so it is the correct size

Bowser likes this.
  11. Tecuani
    Saurus

Tecuani Member

Generally speaking, just find/convert something that you like the look of.

Exact physical descriptions are lacking, except a vague reference to 'robes of the mage', so I'd say any lizardman hero model that has a generally arcane/fiery theme to it would be acceptable. Ghekkotah or Arkosaur mage-priests are specifically rare, but not unknown, so skink priests on a large base would be acceptable.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

So I could convert a Saurus Guard into a fireball wielding mage? Fireleech bolas make great little fireballs! Liking this already!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

That's the beauty of KOW no offical stance on models as long they are on the correct base and look like what they should, it opens doors for converting, artisric licence on basing, I've ordered 6 mantic zombie trolls for my first KOW project.

Bowser and Itepixcauh like this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

AoS looks to have really fallen in your eyes. The number one proponent of AoS has seemingly abandoned it! I feel.... happy ;)

@Bowser ... you're next? hahaha :D

Crowsfoot, Itepixcauh and Bowser like this.
  15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Nope! Not even close! AOS will still be my main game. But KOW is a good way to use all the painted old edition lizardmen models that came with the army when I bought it! Get an even better ROI from my initial purchase of some guys army that he barely unboxed! Plus modding and diorama-ing!

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It's still a step in the "right" direction ;). Who would have believed that @Crowsfoot would eventually abandon AoS. I still have hope. :p

Crowsfoot, Itepixcauh and Bowser like this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

We will still play AOS but on a smaller scale.

18. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Jack Trowell Active Member

For your information, if you try with the free rules and sample army list, note that the free lists are incomplete (they are fully playable, but the book has more unit entries); and the free rules are complete but miss the following :
    - no fluff or pictures
    - no artefact
    - only the default "kill" scenario is proposed (points for killing units, the full book also include objective based scenarios of several kind, like having to move your units in the middle of the time to score their points, or being in control of static objectives, or taking control of objective counters that you can move)

Note however that the army editor at http://kow2.easyarmy.com has the full army lists with all units (including the heroes from the Destiny of Kings campaign supplement) as well as all the artefacts.

Crowsfoot, Warden and Bowser like this.
  19. Tecuani
    Saurus

Tecuani Member

I wouldn't actually describe 'Kill' as the default scenario, even if it is arguably the simplest, because it doesn't really represent the overall spread of basic scenarios very well, being the only one that scores only for killing your opponents.
    Of the others-
    One scores VPs for units killed and for control of several objective markers, with a single objective marker granting a winning margin of VPs.
    Two score only for control of objective markers.
    Two score VPs for your own surviving units within a designated scoring area.
    I've also, personally, found it to be comfortably the most boring scenario of the set. Even in the similar 'Kill and Pillage', the objective markers add a lot to the game.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  20. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

I'm so excited for KOW, now. The way it plays seems so smooth and neat. Reckon I would have a great time trying it out, especially since it last like half the time of a warhammer game.

So, yeah, you guys have mad me really thrilled for trying out KOW, some time in the future. Now if only I had a war gaming player nearby. ...*cough* @ASSASSIN_NR_1 *cough* @Pinktaco *cough*.... :rolleyes: