1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS First game with Seraphon!

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Snoopdeville3, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Snoopdeville3 Well-Known Member

I was finally able to play my first game with the Seraphon. It was nothing huge, I believe it was 35 wounds in total, no monsters, no wizards.

I took The eternity Warden, the one priest that you say a prayer with and on a 4+ you get to reroll failed saves, and the rest were one giant unit of temple guard.

My buddy used a mixture of Death alliance units, can't remember which exactly but nothing to crazy, was a pretty basic list just like mine.

The game was basically a train wreck... the Seraphon absolutely dominated, and that's without even being able to grant them the re-roll failed saves with the prayer, and every turn I forgot to attack with their shields!!

I was very impressed by them. If we do another game similar, next time I will drop the priest, add more Temple Guard, split them in to 3 groups and run that special battalion (forgot what its called, I mainly run Ogres and Wood Elves, sorry!).

2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

That would be the Eternal Starhost ;) I've been itching to give them a go myself, I just need a few more Gaurd first!

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Not played for a while (more KOW now) but the Eternal Starhost is amazing just sit them for one turn and watch your opponent cry as you wreck his troops.

Valjeanthebeast, Bowser and Phoedinn like this.
  4. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Ah that would make a pleasant change from it being the other way around XD

Valjeanthebeast and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Ya the thing is my friends already call me a "try hard", because I actually read the rules and try to synergize. I am not the best army build but I am not an idiot and will not throw stuff on a table and hope it works.

Its so weird... they call themselves casual players and love to play just going by wounds. Then when I roll in with a Stonehorn and a bunch of ironguts, while they run the most basic stuff and get rolled they cry a river! Its very annoying......

I will also add that they have a wide variety to units to choose from... many that can match something like an Irongut, a Stonehorn, Temple Guard... w/e it may be. So basically they have the opportunity to use better units, they don't, then they cry.

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

But with Seraphon you have to use synergy or they are easy to beat with other armies you can get away to a degree with just using a miss match of troops, not with Seraphon.

And I wouldn't say your a try hard just someone who wants to play the game to it's full potential.

Bowser and Snoopdeville3 like this.
  7. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Thanks, i don't consider myself a try hard either, but my main AoS group thinks anyone who tries at all is a try hard lol.

Bowser, Freddy25 and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Phoedinn
    Razordon

I can understand their point of view. I often used to choose units that I just thought looked nice, or have cool fluff. I often didn't read up rules first, making my armies pretty weak. One day they may see the light ;)

Bowser, Crowsfoot and Snoopdeville3 like this.
  9. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Hopefully sooner then later!

Bowser and Phoedinn like this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I have only ever completed one or two games against my friend who plays skaven, every other time he rage quits and says his army was just for fun. Some people just can't stand to lose, but learning how to make a better army would be too much effort

11. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Well here's hoping that the General's Handbook or whatever they're calling it alleviates the "omg you're army is OP" stance some people seem to take.

I think list building based on wounds or model count alone is going to be unbalanced unless both players sit down and nut it all out beforehand, which can be impractical. What you can do (if you're playing friendly games anyway) is suss out your opponent's army and give them a "fair advantage" before you start the game. Just something like "Hey man you're going to have a real hard time winning with that. How about you throw another 10 wounds worth of models on the board?".

Playing scenarios rather than straight up battle line could help too.

Valjeanthebeast and Bowser like this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

First of all, let me say that your playstyle doesn't seem to be the one of a Real Optimizer (TM), neither a min-maxer.
    That said:

To be fair, 25 TG with Eternity Warden and re-rollable saves, it's nothing to laugh at... I imagine "Seraphon's basic lists" a little different, this is a really strong melee force, and a casual CC list, would be shredded to pieces.
    However, if you face a couple of units with shooting and a passable move, you would be in great problems... and IMO, in AoS, even the most basic list, should auto-include a bare minimum of one shooting unit (unless you're a beastman. Then you simply smash the faces of your enemies)

Bowser likes this.
  13. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

My buddy didnt want to bring any shooters so I didn't, or else I may have grabbed a unit of chameleon skinks. Yes this was a basic list, but he also wanted to make strict rules on the list to try something out. Basically a "scout/roamer" type scenario, with melee action. This was more of a test scenario then anything else to see how his melee units would hold up.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Ah, makes sense.
    To make things less difficult for your opponent, you could try a "roaming unit" of simple saurus warriors with a sun blood? Or a starpriest backed up by his guard of kroxigor. ;)

15. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

I dont know all that much about Seraphon yet but does running warrior with a sungod also give them a battalion like buff that makes them a very good offensive unit? I don't think he would go for the Kroxigor and Starpriest type of a setup lol I believe a Starpriest is a wizard, one rule was no wiz allowed. He made the rules up and I wanted to try something different so I was cool with it. lol

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

OK, if we're talking about "no wizard" then probably I wouldn't take neither the priest.
    Saurus can be really good, but to shine they must have support, possibly from more than a single hero, and should be fielded in a large horde (read: 40 models, cause they lose a significative buff if they're under 30 models)
    If you re playing with relatively few models, probably you will have just one unit of 30 saurus and a hero: no battallion bonus, and no horde bonus for double attacks if you lose just one of those 30 warriors.
    At that point, the Sunblood is vital, because you need to reroll failed to hit

If you friend doesn't have issues with the skink priest, then you can use him with the Kroxigors.

Valjeanthebeast likes this.
  17. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Ya no issue with the priest because its a Priest not a Wizard. I dont think we will do that scenario for sometime. I will keep you guys in the loop on our next battle.

Tomorrow I'm sure I will have a pretty big one. Ogres vs Seraphon.

Valjeanthebeast and Bowser like this.
  18. Killer Angel
    Slann

Back in 8th, Ogre were a tough nut to crack, but in AoS they're kinda a case walk.
    But it largely depends on the opponent: if he knows how to exploit ogre's potential, they can be nasty.

(edit:
    Proof 1
    proof 2)

Keep us informed!

(BTW, my weekend game should be Seraphon Vs Tomb Kings)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Bowser likes this.
  19. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

So I played a second game with the Seraphon. We did about 1700 SDK points, so i went from a little to a ton of points! This time around I played a different buddy of mine who was using my Ogres.

I ran:
    1x Eternity Warden
    9x Temple Guard
    10x Temple Guard
    10x Temple Guard

1x Slann Starmaster

1x Skink Starpriest
    6x Ripperdactyls3x Kroxiigor
    5x Chameleon Skinks
    5x Chameleon Skinks

Summoning pool:
    1x Engine of the Gods
    2 Astrolith banners
    Skink Starseer

My buddy having Ogres got to pcik from the Sudden Death Table. He picked the option to have the Ripperdactyls be a victory if he killed them.

His list:
    1x Butcher
    1 Stonehorn
    1x Thundertusk

7x Ironguts
    4x Leadbelchers
    2 Mournfang Calvary

The First phase went in my favor, I knocked out his Thundertusk right off the bat with the Ripperdactyls. He hit back, Stonehorn against some Temple Guard that were out of range of the Eternity Warden and eventually took them out. Long story short he was winning 3 units killed compared to my 1, and in one phase I got back up to about 3 units killed. The rest of the game it looked like i had it

I forgot one very important thing..... he rushed his remaining units at the Ripperdactyls that I flown in and wiped them out, making him win the game.

It was a fun game and it was neat to play test them running such a large army.
    A couple things I will do different:
    - Not drink as much before and during the game. The seraphon have a million rules and I caught myself missing or forgetting some. Literally I said screw this I just going to use what I remember because it was becoming overbearing for both of us and no longer fun.
    - Next time I am going to cut out the Ripperdactyls and bring in the Dredge Saurian just to try something different. The Rippers were awesome but I was to crazt about the Chameleon Skinks.

Bowser likes this.
  20. YZK
    Saurus

YZK Member

I always print what to do during each phase before I go into battle. For example:

All time
    Eternity within x" of saurus guard

Hero phase
    Plant astrolith
    Cast with kroak
    Etc

Bowser and Snoopdeville3 like this.