1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Flying Saurus of Doom!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by novatomato, Aug 13, 2013.

1. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

Anyone else thinking that it might be a fun and neat trick to trick out an old blood with the Arabyan Carpet a great weapon and a defensive item or two?

He'd be a great little tool for tracking down and butchering chaff and other support units, and in closed list settings he'd be a surprise springing out of a unit to charge on turn 1/2 or whatnot. Might not be a great monster hunter as all those stomp attacks would be only on him unless he killed the beast outright.

In 2500+ lists he could act as bodyguard to a lone slann.

I dunno, just a thought that wormed its way into my noggin.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The thought crossed my mind as well, and the fact you are not paying for a mount keeps him a bit cheaper than a tricked out OB on cold one (also he's not stupid, and a bit faster!). How about putting the Stegadon Helm on him as well, so that he's also getting impact hits and is T6? Probably top him off with a Dragonbane Gem in case he is targeted with flaming stuff.

Another benefit is that, while he can't join units, he'll get a 4+ LoS when he's near any infantry unit. That's as good as a 4+ ward really.

Considering his role, I might set him up like this...

Arabyan Carpet, Sacred Stegadon Helm, Biting Blade, LA, SH - He still has a 1+ armor save in combat, he's T6, Str 5 impact hits, flying, and in close combat he's str5 -3 armor. Hmm, he sounds like a load of fun. He can attack strength 4 with virtually nothing to worry about, they'll need 6's to wound and you'll still have a 2+ armor save.

Nananansallyman likes this.
  3. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

heh, didn't think about the stegadon helm but that is a pretty nifty combo.
    I was thinking somthing like the shield of ptolos and dawnstone, 1+ armor save with a reroll against shooting and then throw him at any big block of archers/crossbowmen/handgunners and watch him laugh off the stand and shoot.
    But those impact hits . . . . . . I think this may need a conversion and I think I have found my new favourite fun set up.

4. lizardmek
    Saurus

lizardmek New Member

Wish you could fit a pot of strength as that could be a nice combo before charging in d3 strength 8 impact hits then 5 strength 10 great weapon and any 6's = more attacks lol

5. Drmooreflava
    Saurus

Drmooreflava New Member

flying salamander of doom on the flank sounds better than saurus.

6. Nakki
    Skink

Nakki Member

I would do him as a mage hunter. Nothing better than having a Slann Vs. only your opponents lv 1 or 2 backup caster. I play lots of nasty elveses which tend to keep mages in archer bunkers which fend off my terradons (although we will see how they fair against my new Ripperdactyls! muahaha). I would run him as:

Oldblood
    sword of striking
    flying carpet
    dawnstone
    dragonhelm
    LA
    shield

I like this build because with SoS 2+ to hit 2+ to wound 5 attack odds say 3.47 wounds. Even with a 5+ ward save you have a good shot (2.31 per turn average). Also you can hit those pesky ethereals.
    You need to be careful of warmachines but....as that is true for just about every other unit in our army it leads to the response "there are only so many things their warmachines can shoot"
    keep him within 3'' of a unit turn 1 and cross your fingers.

If you need him to stand up to some scarier punishment maybe:

Oldblood
    carpet
    talisman of preservation
    charmed shield
    LA
    great weapon

this option is a superb warmachine hunter / cannonball-taker-in-the-face
    ignore the first cannonball with charmed shield and cross your fingers for the 4+ from there on. If nothing else better odds taking a 4+ ward then letting it hit a stegadon. But to be fair we already have Terradons and Camo skinks for warmachine hunting.....

7. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

If you are hunting warmachines with this guy, you're doing it wrong. What you do with this guy is take advantage of his amazing charge range and use him like a wrecking ball. After re-thinking a bit, I'd stay with the Stegadon Helm and then go for a 4+ ward save talisman and great weapon. At T6, most things will really struggle to wound him, plus he has a nice ward save. I'd probably rather have him than an Ancient Stegadon with Sharpened Horns, since the "holding pattern" of the flying carpet Oldblood can see him with a 4+ skink ward and a 4+ ward save. Much more maneuverable and harder to kill, with a good number of strength 7 attacks all the time, and not relying on the charge to do his big damage, although he still does D3 impacts.

Cowboy doesn't exactly fit this guy... what should we call him... The Oldladdin?

Ah, and my conversion for him could be a mini palanquin that he's just surfing on. Just need to find a suitable palanquin.

8. Nakki
    Skink

Nakki Member

you right....that would be a much better build :) unfortunately it uses 135 points of magic items =/

9. CookieGuy
    Skink

CookieGuy New Member

Mine is going to be a be surfing on a teradon!

10. IronJaw
    Cold One

IronJaw Member

I see a good use for the Chakax model. ;)

He might not be a really good Unique Hero, but I think his model will work well!

11. Omar
    Cold One

Omar New Member

Fabulous idea! Yay I get to see my Chakax model on the board again :D

12. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Haha, yeah looks like I mixed up my builds. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to build him, maybe you just go with Carpet, Dawnstone, Light Armor, Enchanted Shield, and Sword of might for 1+ rerollable? This might be the best defensive grindy way to do him, plus he has decent strength magic attacks in the case of ethereals. He needs to be able to smash up monstrous cav by himself, which he should be able to do with this setup.

13. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

for a flying old blood?

i'd go with one of these

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Reptus/latest/03370#detail/03370_w_1

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Reptus/latest/06192

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Reptus/latest/14442#detail/14442_G_001

borkbork likes this.
  14. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

Nice finds on the Reaper models, especially the first one. I wasn't really interested in the Old Blood on carpet idea, but I may have to try one just to have an excuse to paint up a 4-armed flying lizard with a giant sword.

15. IronJaw
    Cold One

IronJaw Member

Wouldn't that make him sorta' like an arachnid? Eight appendages? Should he have Poison attacks?

16. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

9, tail counts! :D

17. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Holy moly, the generic Flying Carpet!

I now know what I'll be running my coatl as! Counts-as Scar vet or Oldblood, instead of skink!

18. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

Maybe you could put the Gor-Rok model on a flying carpet, he'll look like he's hanging on to it :p

19. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

This idea has really captured my imagination in the last day or so. I think at 250 points he's an excellent counter to a lot of the heavy armour that's around these days, and that extra mobility from the Carpet is just invaluable.

At games of 2000 or less I can definately see me fitting him in as General, ideally with some Ripperdactyls in tow. He'll be a squeeze alongside a Slann, though, but definately doable.

I think I'll end up with the Carpet, Armour of Destiny, Great Weapon. 5 S7 attacks, 2+ AS and a 4++. Chuck the shield on for extra ranged protection. Get him in some monstrous cavalry and just chop them up. He's got a 50-50 against cannons, Killing Blow, Metal magic, and Death snipes to boot - which are the things that you are really going to worry about.

The Dawn stone is great, for sure, but you struggle to make that 1+ unless you grab a cheap magic weapon and a shield, and S5 attacks have a completely different role to S7 attacks. You're also likely to miss out on any protection vs Metal or Death snipes, Look Out Sirs nonwithstanding, and Killing Blow.

Equally, whilst the Stegadon Helm is great, I think it just leaves him too exposed - again, unless you pick up a shield and sacrifice those S7 attacks, you're only on a 2+. And if you get a magic weapon, like the Biting Blade, you're passing up the Dragonbane.

The new Saurus riders to the Carnosaur kit will make for great conversions, and the chair looks like it will also be good as a converted Flying Carpet - I just need to get my hands on it without forking out for the whole shebang!

20. thegraymist
    Skink

thegraymist Member

I am really LOVING this concept. The most efficient build I can see to take care of the heavily armoured opponents is:

Flying Carpet
    Talisman of Preservation for the 4+ Ward
    Charmed Shield (to give him a fighting chance vs cannons on turn 1) +1AS
    Light Armour +1AS
    Great Weapon

Gives him 2+ AS with 4+ward with S7 attacks. It's a tiny bit more expensive but has the same effect and a save on the first cannonball. Let's face it, if he died on turn 1 we'd be ticked. Total 255, means I can still get in a Slann with Convergence and Chanelling Staff. Only 4 spells but still...

Oh the fun you could have!