1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the jungle comes...

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Rikard, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I'm a casual sculptor and this is my second Avatars of war sculpt (I did the first lizardman).

Untitled-2.jpg
    KroxWIP.jpg

EDIT: ok for some weird reason the board says the pixels can't be more than 1 pixel wide, so you'll have to click on the links above.

I will be getting some better photos up at some point, but for the moment this thread is here for you to help with any input you'd like to have in the completion of this mini.

I will warn you though, please do not suggest anything that is IP protected, this includes artwork or designs from companies like Blizzard or Games workshop.

2. Omar
    Cold One

Omar New Member

Re: Next AOW lizardman

Wow that is a gorgeous model! You're very talented. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

You know, if you ever felt like sharing your skills I would love to see a thread where you teach some of your techniques and basic steps to making models. You could have a follow along thread. I would love that!

3. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

What you're asking is REALLY hard, green stuff isn't a forgiving material, stopping to take photos really makes things difficult (I have tried in the past).

It doesn't give a sense of creation either, or technique and it's not helped by the fact that two people never sculpt exactly alike.

4. Omar
    Cold One

Omar New Member

Aww that's a bummer. You're doing great work though, keep it up!

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea this site uses pic tags instead of img tags, also linkeh instead of url.
    there are buttons for them in the posting window.

Ps. glad you finaly made it in.

6. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

SouthlandLizardman New Member

I bought your first figure and he was so big I use him as a kroxigor if this next guy is my Kroxigor ancient.

What if instead of taking pictures you made a youtube video or something of the such so that you don't have to stop.

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

looks very nice! will you make just one sculpt, or will there be several? kroxigors are most often used in a unit of several, and it looks a bit dull with 3 identical ones. also you dont wanna mix this guy with the GW versions :D

8. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I could, but it would take a huge amount of time and effort and I'm not interested in doing it. Companies charge and make a lot of money doing just that with camera work.

I'm sorry but I don't think I could get it to work, especially as I don't have a pro camera.

@Lord Tsunami, just been asked to sculpt the one mini.

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I think the spines and face on this are a really excellent,
    love the third main row of spines on his back. :smug:

10. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Wow, that's amazing. Excellent work.

What do you have in mind for the weapon? A traditional Krox smashy club? Maybe something different like a flail?

medieval-flail-pic-1.jpg

11. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

That's where it gets hard, on the last one I stuck with a lot of Incan and Aztec designs, sadly not much has survived from that time period so it makes thins difficult.

I have to keep a wide birth from GW though, they really don't like people using their IP.

@N810 Thanks, I had to change them as it was a bit too similar to the last load of spines.

12. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

SouthlandLizardman New Member

How about something more primitive? A big obsidian club could not possibly violate GW IP. Especially froma sculpting POW cause' it would just look like stone.

13. tZZq
    Skink

tZZq New Member

This is super impressive! I hope you can figure out a way that works for you to show us how you do it.

P.S. Casual sculptor hurts my feelings :p

14. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I've got a few ideas, I'll be sketching some things down this weekend and seeing what happens.

@tZZq

It's a real long shot in the dark, but if you want to be able to sculpt then the best thing you can do is do what I do, practice. I've had no coaching or training, all of it is learnt from experience, just like tons of other (and much better) sculptors out there.

in short the only way you will be able to sculpt at a pro standard is by practice, nothing else will get you there.

15. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

How about a big curved sword? or maybe that is out of character with the Aztec theme...

16. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

How about a stone obelisk. Go with a giant stone club with symbols carved all over it (Aztec like).

17. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be far off now,

I've been sketching like mad to get some ideas for a decent weapon and I think I've come up with something. I'll post photos soon of when it's finished (the weapon that is, not attached to the hands of the fig).

Also working on Kroak in a little while (based off Mark G's artwork) and Oxayotl (again, Mark G's artwork).

18. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Very cool. How long does something like this take you? You say this is the next AOW? Can I take that as an officail statement? He will be cast and for sale soon? More often than anything i see the last AOW used as an old blood. Is this ones scale simliar? Id love to see you make a larger one. Krox ancient size or even slightly bigger.

19. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Check Troll forged minitures http://trollforged.com/, He has three other lizardmen for sale over ther,
    including a large kroxigor anchent.

20. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Slow down there, you're asking a lot of questions.

How long does something like this take you? ]Depends, never the same amount of time and I never bother to time myself when I sculpt, I concentrate on the sculpt.

You say this is the next AOW? Yes, hopefully.

Can I take that as an officail statement? No, all greens go through Felix, he looks at them and if they are lacking he sends them back and they don't get cast.

He will be cast and for sale soon? Don't know. see above answers, all depends on how soon it's finished as well as the release schedule set down by Felix.

Is this ones scale simliar?This one is mounted on a 40mm base in the photos, that should give you an idea of scale (taller than GW kroxigors).