1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Game Help

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Barby007, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Barby007
    Skink

Barby007 New Member

Hey everyone! Played a couple games of AOS today and lost 2x to Empire. Wondering what I can do about it. As a note, these are currently the only models I own too so I couldn't play anything else. I need the advice as to what to buy next and also on how to deal with this Empire list.

My list
    1- Slann Starmaster
    1- Saurus Oldblood on Carni
    20 - Saurus Warriors
    20 - Saurus Knights

His list
    1- Karl Franz on Deathclaw
    1- The War Altar of Sigmar
    20 - Reiksguard Knights
    20 - Empire Handgunners

Things I noticed both games....
    - Had a hard time wounding and/or killing calvary.
    - Slann Starmaster was killed by turn 2.
    - Carni was killed shortly after.
    - 5+ saves were hard to make.
    - Trying to hit on 5+ was also hard to do.
    - Altar heals itself every turn.
    - Calvary on a 6+ came back from the dead.
    - Calvary hit like trucks and can take a lot of damage and still live.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Thanks,
    Barby

2. Barby007
    Skink

Barby007 New Member

Picture of game below. Scenario allowed the summoning of Stormcast Eternals. That explains the liberators in the picture.

Barby

Attached Files:

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I'm no expert but if you got a Sunblood and 10 more warriors you would have the battallion which gives +1 attacks with jaws and shield.
    getting some flyers would help you quickly engage the enemy and tie up a unit.
    Skink starpriest to cast starlight on your warriors giving enemy -1 to hit.

So you can cast Mystic shield and starlight on them making them alot harder to kill.

You need something to defend the slann, I would go saurus guard and eternity warden but then that makes your army defensive/offensive.

Hopefully someone better skilled will answer.

Barby007 likes this.
  4. Barby007
    Skink

Barby007 New Member

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I was considering getting Guard, Astrolith, & Warden anyways but it will take time financially for me to do that. I was looking for immediate less expensive alternatives for now. I will definitely include a Starpriest next time around (a friend is letting me borrow him) & a Bastilion (a friend owes me a gift! lol).

Thanks,
    Barby

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

use the Bastiltion as your Slann defender, the range of the solar beam will allow you to chip away at approaching troops

Barby007 likes this.
  6. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I think I would suggest is if money tight you could always make your own I'm planning on doing that for the Astrolith^_^

Barby007 likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

been thinking a bit more about your army

If you could afford 10 saurus warriors (few more would be good to keep the bonus) and a sunblood and skink starpriest and make the sunblood your general you would get,

+1 attack with jaws and weapons have -1 rend for sunclaw starhost
    +1 to hit for 20 warriors and if you have 30 +1 attack for clubs/spears
    Starlight -1 to hit for your opponent
    Serpent staff all rolls of 6 for jaws now cause 2 damage.

so your warriors now have 4 attacks each 5 for the Alpha and hit on +3
    your 2 attacks from jaws could cause 40 wounds (if all rolls were 6)

Sunblood command ability reroll failed hit dice for all saurus

combine that with a mystic shield and a starlight and Serpent staff and you have one hard hitting killing unit.

Barby007 and Bracnos like this.
  8. Barby007
    Skink

Barby007 New Member

Yeah! That's what I was thinking. The Calvary was the hardest for me to deal with. The handgunners not so much.

I'm not that crafty but I will look into it. :)

Starpriest I will be borrow from a friend. I found out he has more Warriors so I'll probably borrow those too. I'll have to buy a Sunblood. It will most likely be my next purchase.

Thanks everyone! You guys rock! Loving the much needed advice.

Thanks,
    Barby

9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Also are you using the Firelance starhost I ask because you already have the models.

10. Voff
    Skink

Voff Member

You should take a look at my thread, here: http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/saurus-warriors-30x-vs-10x3-sunclaw.17333/

TL DR , Unless you are able to field atleast 3x30 (prefer 3x40) warriors, dont field them in a Sunclaw Starhost. Just put them in one big unit. You should still get the Sunblood, his command ability greatly empowers you Saurus units.

Im not sure but I think it says you need a Scar-Veteran on Carnousaur/Cold one for that formation to work.

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yeah but surely you could use the oldblood as a scarvet?

12. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

The fact that you have an aggressive army may make this bit of advice sound strange to you at first, but hear me out. Play defensively. Camp out as far away from the enemy as you can on your side of the board and sit there. This is because of the movement stats of your enemy. Karl Franz has a movement of 15", the knights and alter a movement of 10", and the Handgunners a movement of only 5". Staying as far away from them as you can encourages an impatient player to try to cross the board as fast as possible in order to reach you, and this is what you're hoping for. Due to the extremely different movement stats of each of his units, they should begin to split up and lose formation as they cross the board, allowing you to have a much easier time of it as you gain the ability to pick his units off one by one. Unless he's careful or lucky, Franz should reach you first. Distract him with a front line of Warriors, adn then when it's your turn you want to have your Oldblood charge him to get a first attack. Franz has the monster rule and the Oldblood Carno picks bigger monsters out of its teeth every morning, if you can land both of your claw attacks then you're going to absolutely ruin his day with your bites. Without Franz, the knights will lose their main bonus and you can turn on them. Due to their high armour, mortal wounds are a good way to hit them so Saurus Knights with lances and an Arcane Bolt should help you there. If you can take two of them out in one turn, which is now easier as they're all split up and are lacking their dear general, you can really do a number on them in Battleshock thanks to your banners. Though really the key point here would be that your entire army is taking them all on at once. Do try to deny the knights the charge, though. After that it's just a matter of cleaning up the rest of the army.

Some chameleons would be a sound investment for this as spawning them in front of, say, the knights or handgunners can be used to slow down certain enemy units even more to further split the advancing army's formation. Chameleons will die, but they're cheap to summon so you can spam this technique every turn. Oh and don't forget, killing just one handgunner will cause them to lose their +1 To Hit bonus.

Bracnos and Crowsfoot like this.
  13. Voff
    Skink

Voff Member

I dont know. Doubt it. No keyword points in that direction.