1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. General Slann Tactics

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Sammy the Squib, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

An age old debate, what are the best tactics for the Slann?

Some people like to make him a magic missile machine gun, others prefer to fire off some big spells using lots of dice. I like to do a bit of both, spells like steed of shadows and rule of burning iron can be used to great effect if used correctly, and it's always nice to get a big spell off...;)

So, how do you use yours?

2. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

This is a tricky question, becouse it deppend alot on your playing style.
    I tend to use different tactics when choosing spells dependintg on which army I battle..
    Usualy i think on three things when choosing spells.

Will I battle a force with high armor save: if so I will pick some spells from Lore of Metal. This gives me the defult spell and chances of rolling even better anti-armor spells.

Will I be met with a hail of arrows, pick Lore of Heavens for those lovly no-distance-limits Forked Lightning and Uranus Lightningbolt.

Will I need a bit of tactical help in manovering my units, pick some spells from Lore of Shadow.

I always consider the Steed of Shadow spell for my oldblood or scar-vet, for better usage of my champ, but spells like the Unseen Lurker can come in handy when my saurus block(s) have a long way to go.

I seldom take REMAIN IN PLAY spells, becous I realy like to use my slann to cas as many spells as possible.
    If you can afford it, go by a plaq of tepok for that extra spell. It usualy is worth those 15 pts!

3. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

I love this debate. I have yet to take a sole magic missle Slann, but like the idea. I have been given a few tips on Slann and magic I found useful. Base alot of ur choices on who and what u r up against (there is a good thread about this here). Also if u pick a good lore take 4-5 spells from it to enjoy the full range of spells. A good tactic for Lizardmen is Steed of Shadows b/c it helps ur JSoD, if u have one. One thing to try not to do is spread your lores out too much and not end up w/ any spells u want.

4. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

I usualy pick spells from the Lore of: Heavens, Metal, Death or Shadow. I then have a few spell in each Lore i really don't whant, and I realy dont mind the deafult spells of these lores. Therefor I start on, say Heavens and roll spells until I get the deafult or Celestial Armor. Then I jump to my next Lore. This way I never get any spells I REALLY don't whant.

5. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

I personally like to get my slann in on the action with lots of damage spells, with the exception of Shadow's movement ones. I'm a large fan of taking 1 spell per Lore, usually from Fire, Light, Death, Shadow, and usually Metal. In those cases, I roll and if I get a great spell, I'll keep it, but if I don't I spam 1st level spells, so that every magic phase I'm shooting off 3 D6 damaging spells, one hero hitter, and a sneaky move for a JSoD or Skink Priest in a pickle.

But alot of the time, if up against an army like Daemons, I'll mass Light to give my magic some extra POW when it hits those cheeky bastards.