1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Getting into Age of Sigmar

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by pbenner, Sep 4, 2017.

1. pbenner
    Skink

pbenner New Member

Hi guys,

A few years ago I thought I was going to get into Fantasy, bought a codex, and ended up having Life happen and being out of gaming for a few years.

I've gotten back into 8th edition 40K with a vengeance, but a lot of my favorite people at the local shop are having much more fun playing Age of Sigmar. As such, I want to bite the bullet.

I've had two major changes in my hobbying recently. The first is that I've stepped up my painting game and bought an Air Brush setup. Am still working on getting everything going, but as it sits right now, by the time I buy this army, I should have everything in line to be air brushing easily.

Next, I'm not looking to buy anything until the end of October. I've got time to plan on what I want and i'm going to take my time and do this army right. That means full painting and basing to insure these are the best models in my collection.

I have read this thread, not entirely, but a few opinions:

http://lustria-online.com/threads/starting-seraphon.17429/#post-150200

And based on that I have outlined a bit of what I think I'll need below. I am interested in being as efficient as possible with my purchases.

Budget: $400

This will include the need to get a few paints as well as all the models and books I will need. I do buy digitals so that will save me a little money, but I can't catch any discount on those.

Books:
    General's Handbook - $20
    Battle Tome: Seraphon - $33

Model Kits:

Getting Started Box x2 - ($144.50)
    -Carnosaur x2
    -Saurus Knights x16
    -Saurus Warriors x24

Saurus Scar Veteran on Cold One x1 - ($17)

Saurus Sunblood x1 - ($25)

After this point I'm not sure what I want or need. I've got a few things in mind, and I know I'll need a buffing caster, so which one? If it matters, I actually already own a Skink Priest in Feathered Cloak, who can also join this army, but doesn't need to be built around.

Caster (Slann, Kroak, or Starcaller) - ($42.50)

I'll be ordering the bulk of this online I think, as my local store doesn't do any kind of discount even if you're spending a lot of money, or having to order stuff in, so while I support them on my day to day purchases, I want the 15% discount I can get online. The above are priced with that in mind.

The above list eats up about 70% of my model and book budget. Leave 5% for paints and basing materials and I've got about $100 left to be in budget.

Am I doing this right? What else would you be adding?

I am open to two directions. I could easily see myself adding a Bastillidon and a Stegadon as I've always loved those models, especially the new plastic ones. I could also see myself spamming more infantry, either way. I could also drop a 3rd Getting Started box and another character model.

Let me know what you all think. And my thanks in advance.

Paul

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Captaniser and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

This made me giggle

Ecozh, Captaniser and Phoedinn like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard, what you suggest buying so far sounds good but convert one of your Knights into a Scar vet on cold one to save you some cash.

If you are going the Sunblood route you need more warriors so flesh them out to 40 and get that basilidon and your right you need a caster.

Ecozh, Seraphage and Captaniser like this.
  4. pbenner
    Skink

pbenner New Member

I mean, am yet but an ignorant noob, but my mother did have the decency to teach me that if I had nothing nice to add, keep my yapper shut.

Thanks for the welcome.

I am well versed with the conversion stuff, have done a lot of it on different armies so I may go this route. I assume that between the bling offered on the sprues and a paint job he isn't a bad conversion?

I really like the Sunblood model, I think he is cool and I have always been a fan of warrior models, so include Guard in that.

Is collecting the large warscroll a thing? The Star Beast Constellation seems really good if I am reading it right and I am pretty sure games here go 3k-3500 regularly. Obviously am not going to buy the models all now, but would plan in that direction I think.

Is there a better caster to buy for this type of Army or is Slann vs Skink going to matter greatly for now? I am leaning towards the Slann with the Skink Priest flying around to be his casting point. Does this seem right?

2x Start Collecting
    1x Warrior Box
    1x Sunblood
    1x Slann

Add in Skink in Feathered Cloak and start playing?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

You don't really need a Slann yet, two priests and a basildon might serve you better, convert one of your warriors into an Astrolith bearer as well.

Captaniser likes this.
  6. pbenner
    Skink

pbenner New Member

Why no on the Slann yet? I assume because he wants a wall to hide behind and all its support?

I am leanimg towards a warrior heavy list. Enough that maybe I do a 2nd box of warriors so 2x SC and 2x Warrior boxes with support. Moving models doesnt bother me so why not...

Are the formations worth the points?

7. Joshmunga
    Skink

Joshmunga Member

Since our formations just went up quite a bit in points, if you're going to go for one you almost have to go all in. For example: Getting 3 bigger units of warriors instead of the minimum to make those extra points on the Sunclaw Starhost worth it. It looks like you have 64 total guard coming right now? Thats a pretty good start to do two max units of 40 and one of 10-20 (for the sunclaw batallion). Then you have four extra models for conversions like Astrolith Bearer or maybe an Old Blood.

8. pbenner
    Skink

pbenner New Member

Please forgive the ignorant newb. How does 64 Warriors make two max sized 40 man units and one 20 man unit?

I would readily focus on making as strong of a list as possible. Also i love the Astrolith Bearer and would have that model just to paint it.

Continued advice is always appreciated.

Paul

9. Iblitz
    Chameleon Skink

Iblitz Well-Known Member

I think for start, you should ask you some questions first.
    Seraphon, since 5th ed have tons of possibilities but you know that you can't play them all together.
    You should focus on the units you like the most, the formation and the leader you that provide the most potential out of it and then make a army list.
    Thn after, suggest it to the community to get improvement, and then at last buy your models.

After that be sur there will be some more adjustments, new unit to buy or update the existing ones.
    My advice is : don't go too far. If you like skink, the bataillon is not a good choice. for exemple.

10. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Wow no need to get all worked up over 1 sentence. The guy can't even assume a little funny mistake, geez.

Ecozh likes this.
  11. pbenner
    Skink

pbenner New Member

This is coming from the guy that thought fit that the first response to this thread should be pointing out a wording flaw in one sentence and how funny it was to you. I think they call this Hypocrisy. Just saying. :D Now look, I don't want to start a flaming war, but your post in my thread is absolutely contrary to the majority of the feedback I've seen on this forum and it was not welcoming.

I like this advice. I wasn't going to go all out, but I want to make sure I've bought at the best deals I can.

I think my intention is to build around the SC box and do what's best for that build type, if it works.

Saurus have always been my favorite models in the line, so it would be easy for me to enjoy building and painting the SC box. Just tell me what else to get. Like I said, I've got some time before I pull the trigger on anything major. I might end up with a SC box tonight, but that'll be in trade.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

2 SC boxes first, if you like Saurus build and paint Saurus, I love skinks but I also like Warriors and Guards and I'm a true believer in building what you like not what's the strongest, I have more fun that way.

13. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

That is not certainly not hypocrisy, sorry if that's the way you see it. Anyways, welcome to lustria ;)

Ecozh and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. pbenner
    Skink

pbenner New Member

Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur x1
    Saurus Sunblood x1
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer x1
    Saurus Knights x8
    Saurus Knights x8
    Saurus Knights x8
    Saurus Warriors x40
    Saurus Warriors x20
    Saurus Warriors x20
    Firelance Starhost x1
    Sunclaw Starhost x1

How does this look for shooting at a starting 2K list?

Paul

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Knight are glass cannons you either love them or hate them and you have no magic support, Knights are fast and if the rolls go well you can do a good deal of damage but for the points I would drop them and have a Basilidon and a priest or two.

Ecozh likes this.
  16. Ecozh
    Cold One

Ecozh Active Member

The list also lacks some ranged options. Perhaps add some chamo skinks together with Crowsfoot his suggestions..

Ps. The mental image of a scar veteran sitting on the shoulders of an old blood made me giggle. 'Go go horsy' my daughter would yell :).

Xasto likes this.