1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glass was a good movie

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

M. Knight Shymalan may have peaked too early. He made some very great movies then he had a long stream of mediocre and subpar movies.

Glass is good. It's a perfect sequel. Not a perfect movie, that is basically impossible, but a perfect sequel is not impossible.

A perfect sequel must do the following. According to the youtube critic Schaffrilla's production
    1-Expands the Universe in meaningful ways.
    2-Continue the story in a new compelling way.
    3-Expand the theme/introduce new themes.
    4-Leave a positive impact on the franchise.

If there is a problem with this movie, the problem is that the sequel occurs nineteen years after the first one. We have active forumites who weren't alive when Unbreakable came out.

This movie is also right up my alley. I really like super hero movies, and I like deconstructing literary tropes. Both Unbreakable and Glass deconstruct super hero stories.

I also like movies that bend genres. Both these movies blend superhero stories with modern film noir. You have the dark shadowy cinematography and shifting lights common to noir and the cinematography mixes it organically with screen shots that look like comic panes.

I also like the way they mix colors. There are a lot of gray tones like you see in modern noir but the most important characters usually stand out in large crowds by being the only brightly colored characters in the scene. Standing out like...comic book characters.

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I've never even seen "Unbreakable".
    But then.... not my genre I guess?
    (I am not a fan of film noir and similar stuff).

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Subpar is putting it mildly...
    [​IMG]

almost impossible...
    [​IMG]

Glad you enjoyed the movie @Scalenex . I had a friend who went and saw it and he liked it as well.

4. Scalenex
    Slann

I think it's good enough of a movie that movie lovers would like it. But then again, my friends tell me that my threshold for enjoying a movie is lower than theirs. Maybe I'd be a lousy critic. I do find professional critics disappointing, so I'm turning to amateur critics. And here with my relative captive audience at L-O, I can through my amateur critiques at people and maybe break the stranglehold of Star Wars over our pop culture discussions.

I like movies with interesting character arcs and these two movies qualify.

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Shawshank Redemption is a great movie. But I've watched it several times. I point out a lot of tiny flaws which knock this down from "perfect" to "excellent"

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

You should start a thread, The monthly Movie club, we all watch the same movie then discuss.

7. Scalenex
    Slann

Well I would say Aquaman possibly for a belated January because lots of forumites probably already watched it. But it is on the way out of theaters for those who haven't seen it. For February I would say Glass is the best movie to discuss.

Note these are biased by things Scalenex likes. I will watch something out of my wheelhouse if someone makes a good suggestion as long as it's not a trolling suggestion.

8. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

TRIGUN!! :D

Basically a lighthearted show that progressively gets darker.