1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS GW fixating spray giving bad results

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Canas, May 28, 2017.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I've been using the GW fixating spray and the last few models came out quite badly as you can see in the picture. Instead of putting a smooth layer it appears like I sprinkled salt on it or something. Can anyone tell me what's going wrong? It didn't intially do this. I spray them outside and I initially thought it might be dust from the wind, but it happens regardless of there being any wind or not.

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

It wasn't left out in the cold or left for too long after your initial spray was it? Sometimes there will be a small clog in the nozzle that ends up filtering a lot of the medium, giving you a "snow" effect. You may need to clean the nozzle with water or laquer thinner.

Ritual likes this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's been barely a week since I last sprayed some with this can, those were fine. And it's currently quiet hot. I suppose it might be a small clog, but nothing was visible. Suppose Il just clean them before use from now on then.

4. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Are you using the clear varnish spray (used to be called 'Ard Coat or something like that)? I've had the same problem with both clear coats and coloured sprays, and in my case it turned out to be the humidity. If you've got somewhere indoors to spray (like a garage) fire up a dehumidifier and leave it running for a bit to remove moisture from the air then turn it off before letting loose with the rattle can. I don't have the luxury of indoor spray areas anymore, so I just spray when it's cold and dry outside.

Ritual, n810 and Bowser like this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Oh dear. I have a can of that matte spray varnish (called "purity seal" or something) standing around but I am hesitant to use it now...
    @Mesandres used the same on his Orruks though and they look fine....

Ritual, Mesandres and Bowser like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's this one, it worked fine for the most part so far it's happenend twice and the first time it largely corrected when I reaplied the spray though they still look a tad different from the others (I've run out of spray while doing that skaven so I haven't been able to reapply it on the last 5 or so). Anyway so far about 10-ish models now look a bit odd out of the 100 or so models I sprayed with it.

It might be humidity, it's been terribly warm and stuffy lately and I think I remember humidity being quite high as well. Sady I don't have anywhere inside to spray though :(

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Also, to make you feel a bit better the two rat ogres in this picture were down with the same can, but at a different time. So it does work fine normally :p

Attached Files:

8. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I haven't had a problem with mine since the initial stuff up. I ended up spraying something like 100 Necron Warriors and 5 Destroyers and out of those only about 5 Warriors got the grainy treatment. My biggest problem was using some Army Painter red spray on my Chaos Marines. Ruined about 30 models (nothing a good dip in Dettol didn't fix though!).

This was probably it then. I'm always very conscious of the weather when I spray, the humidity here can really throw a spanner in the works.

Overall I find GW sprays much better than any others I've used (and I've used a fair few), but there are still good alternatives out there if you find the GW one too pricey or if it doesn't work for you.

Nice Rat Ogres @Canas !

Ritual, Canas and Bowser like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Hmmm
    I've had the same problem with GW purity seal so I stay clear of it now, Army painter anti shine is good and cheaper but can suffer from the same problem the goto one for 100% hassle free spraying is Testors Dullcote but it is expensive but gives a superb finish, but I do use the Army painter anti shine more often.

Ritual likes this.
  10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I'm totally away from spray paint for the moment... if I apply a tipcoat I use Matt varnish from a port and apply two thin coats (;):D) with a watercolor paintbrush...
    Had not so good experience with cans... and they are quite expensive... gotta save money atm...

Ritual likes this.
  11. Gunakin
    Skink

Gunakin New Member

I've thrown away all my spray products including primer

It's ruined many models of mine

Maybe I didn't use it properly

It's fast,easy and can do the batch jobs

But it's too risky tools. I think primer and coating with hand brush would be safer

Ritual likes this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Never had problems with spray priming, it makes a great coat IMO.
    But I have heard some bad stuff about white GW primer a while ago. Can't tell though since I am using Army Painter.

Ritual likes this.
  13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Use krylon products instead,
    twice the content, twice the quality,
    half the cost. :p

Ps. sometimes you can fix a spotty mat coat by
    applying a gloss coat to clean it up,
    and then later a second mat coat if you desire.

Ritual likes this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Don't think I can get those here judging by google.

As for fixing it, last time I just resprayed it which fixed 90% of it. They still look a bit off, but no longer like I sprinkled salt on them. Sadly I had run out of the stuff by the time I noticed it on these skaven so I couldn't fix it :(

Ritual likes this.
  15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Hmmm.... You must be in the UK then...

Ritual likes this.
  16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Nope, google just only returns american shops as results when I search for it for some inexplicable reason.

Ritual likes this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I just found a solution, apparently spraying a gloss on it removes (most) of the little white flakes. Admittadly it makes the model shiny, but using the GW spray again (or a different mat spray) fixes that.

Ritual likes this.
  18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Your welcome. :bag:

Ritual likes this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I should pay more attention while reading... completly missed that in your post... :oops:

Ritual likes this.