1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That's a good point!

2. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

I like the concept of loose faction. To me it really feels like Legions of Nagash with a Gobba weirdo aesthethic.
    Maybe Spiderfang lgoblins ook a bit out of their place, but that is due to the models being old and static.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Yes and no. I don't mean Greenskins need to wear uniforms, but they do still be unified in terms of Visuals. Right now if you compare the new squig riders with the old grots on spiders there's some jarring difference despite them being very similar units.

The squigs are bouncy, active, chaotic and out of control. Their riders wield crude weapons and they all wear a tattered robe looking kind of like insane lil monks. They don't look in control of their mounts in the slightest, they barely look like they're in control of themselfs and basicly ooze madness.

In contrast the ones on spiders are fairly static, sitting almost as if they're on guard waiting for something. Their riders wear tribal-like clothing with a lot of feathers. The madness is nearly completly gone here. They just look like random evil forest-creatures that want to eat you.

The difference in clothing and especially the lack of madness in the spider models makes them feel very disjunct. I think that could be done be improved with new models.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I agree that the forest goblins look more static than the new Night Goblins, but if you take apart their cultural differences, they do look similar - they have similar faces, similarly scrawny physiques e.t.c - they’re unified by being especially small, scrawny Goblins who are also completely bonkers. Look at the Forest Goblins on the Arachnarok - they’re slightly newer and have a bit more dynamism in them.

GuaDan likes this.
  5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I’ve also had another revelation that may well reveal the origins of the Gloomspite Gitz:
    The Gloomspite Gitz faction was inspired by the Battle of Skull Pass boxed game from over 10 years before them!

Yes indeed - I’m pretty sure this was exactly what the Gloomspite Gitz alliance was based on. The Goblin force in that box was:
    60 Night Goblins
    2 Night Goblin characters (1 big boss and 1 Shaman)
    10 Spider Riders
    1 Troll

And of course all of these models are now part of Gloomspite Gitz! The box even contained a small Idol of Mork scenery piece that was essentially the smaller cousin of the Loonshrine! If you want to start Gloomspite Gitz and have a copy of that box, that’s a great little starter Force there and then!

I’m also pretty sure that the existing Night Goblin and Spider Rider kits were based on the models from that box and released not long after, as they look so similar.

Canas, NIGHTBRINGER and Killer Angel like this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

No matter how much we try.
    We cannot escape our legacy. ;)

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The big arachnarok does look a hell of a lot better in comparison yeah. And yeah at least they're all recognizeable as grots so it fits together in that sense I guess. Still could be better :p

8. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

We sure can't.

[​IMG]

9. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Holy... :eek:

Is GW trying to introduce us to the increase of prices that will hit Europe when Brexit will be operative?

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I know - this second wave is priced pretty ridiculously.

But enough grumbling - I’ve been looking at the next preorders and as well as the Dwarf statue that acts as the club head of the cave troll, there are Dwarf statue bits in the Stone Troll box and one of the GW painted Stone Trolls has a Dwarf banner as his loincloth.

Is there going to be a Dispossessed release coming soon? Maybe, after Flesh Eater Courts and Skaven. They’re certainly trying to conjure a rivalry between Dispossessed and Gloomspite Gitz methinks, again very similar to the old Battle of Skull Pass set from Fantasy. There could even possibly be a battlebox for the two factions at some point that becomes Battle of Skull Pass 2.0!

Captaniser likes this.
  12. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed!
    I like these new minis and the whole Gloomspite thing so much, but the prices are far too high to even start buying single cool models for me.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It will be interesting to see what the prices are here in Canada. Should be on the site later on today. You guys have me curious as to how expensive it will actually be.

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Shall I spoil the surprise for you by telling you the values in British Pounds? ;)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I check those (have you seen the prices in New Zealand?!? :wideyed:), but I never know how it will carry over to Canada (since it is not based on a straight currency exchange). I could calculate a conversion rate from past products, but I'm too lazy and will just wait a few hours.

Thanks though!

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Canadian prices are up.

A bit expensive, but does't seem out of the ordinary for GW. The giant troll (which is my favorite model of the entire release) is $80. Not sure how big he is though, so it is tough to tell if he is over-costed or not. The mangler squigs are pretty pricey. The sneaky snufflers are also quite costly at almost $10 a model. On the other hand the Gobbapoloza seems pretty well priced at $60 for 5 character level models that are vastly unique in relation to one another.

17. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

The price for the big guy troll is quite good to be honest, but Maybe only a small/medium squig army can be built without breaking the bank.

18. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

They’re quite expensive, but I don’t see why they’d be considered more so than normal. Compared to prievious models they are exactly as I’d expect them to cost.

Captaniser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's the same feeling I have.

20. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

What other items do peolppthink are going to come out for skaven/flesh eater courts?

Personally, I'm guessing a rework of crypt horrors and maybe death glob hurlers

Captaniser likes this.