1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

In the grim darkness of the far future, there are only weird tufts of hair... and war, that too.

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It works on the helmets, but on just heads it looks so weird. It also feels like they make the knot way too tall, dunno how it looked in real life.

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Does GW remember that the universe is immense and there are other factions other than Imperium and Chaos?

I like the lore, i like Vigilus... but it's SM vs CSM, CSM vs SM
    Luckily, there have been Fazter Orcs and Genestealer Cult, but the attention isn't focused on them...
    I miss some background developement for xenos in the grand scheme of the galaxy.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I’m honestly so glad that I’m not the only one thinking this!

Yes Imperium vs Chaos has been an established part of the lore, but in Editions right up to 6th GW didn’t really care about it much more than any other part of 40K - Chaos Marines didn’t get a 5th Edition Codex and the 6th Ed book was the first one of the lot so became subject to a lot of powercreep later on (I’m looking at you Craftworld Eldar). It’s only since 7th Edition launched that GW really started to become obsessed with it, first by retaining Dark Vengeance rather than ditching it for a new starter box with a xenos race in (in 6th Dark Vengeance was the first time CSM appeared in a boxed game so I’m allowing that one), and subsequently by releasing plastic Horus Heresy models and frakloads of supplements for Imperium vs Chaos and bringing back the Primarchs. In 8th they’ve accelerated it even more, so that whereas in editions up to 6th you only really knew about the Horus Heresy if you played Imperium or Chaos, now you’re being force-fed Imperium vs Chaos tripe even if you play any of the xenos races. Absolutely ridiculous.

That’s why I thought Blackstone Fortress was such a let-down when they revealed the minis - that box had such potential to release an entirely new faction based on those spindle-drones, like Deathwatch Overkill brought the Genestealer Cults back, but no, they can’t seem to let go of their Imperium vs Chaos obsession and decided to include only 4 spindle-drones and fill the rest of the box with Chaos Guardsmen and 40K Beastmen, miniatures players had already been happily converting for years, and some pointless Ur-Ghuls that they could have released as a separate little clamppack for Dark Eldar players to get excited over. A real waste.

And of course Imperium vs Chaos has to get the one battlebox at the climax with all new miniatures... :mad: (as if both the Imperium and Chaos didn’t have enough already).

This is one of the many reasons why I just loathe 8th Edition 40K and think it as bad as 7th was, if not worse.

Killer Angel likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

No they don't. There are only SM and CSM (oh, and Sigmarines too).

6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

To be honest, the chaos space marines I don't mind too much. They don't seem to get too much, unless you count the whole of chaos as one faction, seeing as since I've started to really follow it this and blackstone fortress are the first time I've seen some "normal" chaos updates (as opposed to Thousand sons or deathguard). Plus judging by the sculpts the normal chaos forces also seem to be one of the older lines so I don't mind them getting an update.

The primaris space marines I mind more though. We've had entire armies (currently there are 11 primaris units, with another 5 or so coming in shadowspear…) worth of new primaris nonsense, but even within the empire they're the only one who really get anything. I mean, I get that fluff wise they're the empires new trump card. But are you seriously going to claim that all of the new stuff went into the primaris? The mechanicus kept no shiny toys themselves? The guard didn't get any fancy new vehicles or guns to help em keep up and retain positions liberated by the primaris? Why are there a 1000 primaris luitenants? At least give the rest of the empire something if you're going to go and ignore every xenos..

7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

no, just like AOS doesn't remember that there is anything other than Stormcast eternals and Legions of nagash. (and a minor showing of khorne but not recently which go figure is basically AOS chaos space marines lol)

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

To be fair, LoN appeared as a strong part of the Lore with Malign Portents, where Nagash became the main antagonist of Sigmar.
    Before that, it was Khorne vs Sigmar, Sigmar vs Khorne

9. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, skaven have been a constant meddling thorn in even Nagash's side since the World-That-Was and have only recently been getting any love in AoS.

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

An article about currency in the Mortal Realms:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...rrency-in-the-mortal-reamsgw-homepage-post-4/

Why do I reiterate this article? Because it features a whole segment dedicated to why Ur-Gold is important to the Fyreslayers. Of course there is nothing new in that segment (at least not to those who know their Fyreslayers lore), but is it a subtle sign that Fyreslayers are going to be updated after Khorne rather than Seraphon? I know it is pure rumourmongery, but you never know - they certainly put up that Grand Alliance pic with Fyreslayers in the background again.

11. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Ur-gold gets discused with relative frequency though, I think they just like that particular part of their setting. It's an easy way to make some background info rather epic "The currency we use used to be a god and we think we might be able to put him back together"

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I don’t remember anything being discussed about Fyreslayers since the Faction Focus after Second Edition launched, apart from Gav Thorpe’s army in A Tale of Four Wordlords.

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

They're frequently mentioned in bits and pieces of other fluff. Nearly Always in the vein of "and then they bought some fyreslayer mercenaries with ur-gold cuz that's their god and with their allies they won the day" or some such. It's rarely more than 2-3 sentences about a mercenery force, or some expedition, showing up as an ally/opponent bought with or looking for ur-gold and then they win/lose the day depending on who's story it is and leave with the ur-gold (or get slaughtered and don't leave). It's too frequent too put much value on it if that's all they said.

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I mean in Warhammer Community - I’ve not seen any fluff about them there since the Second Edition Faction Focus.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Ah that's possible.

16. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Khorne are on preorder next week, book, endless spells, Bloodmaster, Skulltaker and the Skull Altar. Also the Flesh Hounds and Karanak will be available.
    Now what's after the Khorne book will be a mystery, I have a feeling it's SCE

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Why would you say that? It hasn’t even been a whole year since Sigmarine got their last update. They do appear on that Grand Alliance picture but Gloomspite Gitz also appear there and they are still very new. I think both of those armies appear on there to show that they’ve been recently updated to say ‘You got these chaps, now look at the others to see what’s coming next!’. To be honest it’s surely going to be either Seraphon or Fyreslayers next.

18. Killer Angel
    Slann

Not 100% sure, but I believe he was being ironic.

19. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just the usual thought. Nearly every year it seems they get an update, current book is 3rd edition.
    The next chapter opening up for Soul Wars, new chamber. Maybe it's too soon for the thought but it will sometime this year :p
    I think

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

If they did that that would annoy me so much. Why couldn’t they just say ‘oh there are some other chambers as well but we really don’t care about those and they exist only in lore?’ I know Sigmarines are the jack-of-all-trades starter army, but I mean so many other armies need far more attention than Sigmarines at the moment it would be crazy if they gave Sigmarines yet more love.

Another chapter opening up in Soul Wars you say? Maybe that’s where the next Death faction will appear, although I do hope it won’t be just a Nighthaunt update with a new chapter in Nighthaunt lore :vomit:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    little-myth likes this.