1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: magic and prayers in #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I've been looking at the first article on Warhammer Community about the new Beastmen, and they are already becoming quite a bit stronger than they were before, both in AoS and in Fantasy. Marks have returned for Beastmen from 6th Edition as you can choose one of 4 battalions that dedicate themselves to a particular god. Herdstones also are pretty useful as they make the Beastmen immune to Battleshock and decrease the save rolls of the enemy as the battle goes on. Here's the full article:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...ds-of-allegiance-abilitiesgw-homepage-post-4/

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, I hope that battleshock immunity won't end up being far too powerfull. Being able to ignore it rather rapidly spirals out of control in terms of how devestating it is. Not to mention it outright invalidates certain abilities that play around it which is just a tad lame.

It's neat that they can be used in any major chaos army though similar to the slaves of darkness, being able to dedicate it to a god makes it rather interesting.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Beastmen aren't alone in this - Fyreslayers have several abilities that can give their units Battleshock immunity, including the Exemplar of the Ancestor Command Trait and the Rune of Fiery Determination.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I know. Limited immunity can work. But given it's ever increasing range I fear that they'l quite quickly end up in a situation where they are effectivly immune for the entire game if they can position their herdstone conveniently with respect to the objectives. And permanent battleshock immunity that can't even be broken by for example killing the general seems really really good.

5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah, Battleshock immunity is a tough one.
    I remember how I felt when I played a bravery-debuffing army and my opponent played an SCE Lord-Celestant that has a huge battleshock-immunity bubble ability. That sucked.

Overall I like the Beastmen previews though. They pretty much did the merge that many people (including me) hoped for, and the abilities at least sound very fitting to the lore and so on.
    I do think they might be very strong, especially because of the combinations the Mark of Chaos allows. So I am curious about the balance.

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I was guessing though that the Herdstone would have a wounds value so that enemy armies could attempt to destroy it and banish the magicks it produces. I maybe wrong about this, but that could be a way to avoid it being unbalanced. In any case, the battleshock immunity only occurs in a wide range in the very last few turns of the game, so you have a chance to attack and break the Beastmen before the powers of the Herdstone take hold, just as Exemplar of the Ancestor can be broken by killing the general and the Rune of Fiery Determination only lasts for a turn.

7. Aginor
    Slann

As far as I understand it the herdstone is a terrain feature, so there are probably not a lot of things that can harm it.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Depending on the objective of the game and how you're allowed to place it it can still cover the entire area where you're effectivly fighting. It's rare for the entire battlefield to see action so if you can dump it on the objective you need to defend, or in the middle you might be free of battleshock for quite a significant portion. It depends a lot on if this means you can avoid say 30% of all battleshock tests this game, or 90%.

The save-reduction I'm less worried about, assuming at least they don't get a crapton of rend as well. If a significant chunk of their units have rend by default that'l be problematic as well...

I do hope they add in some interaction mechanic for the opponent to tear it down, would be both thematic and a fun way to balance I think.

9. Aginor
    Slann

I hope the battleline requirements and so on allow playing an elite army.
    I am interested in the Beastmen aesthetics, but I don't want to paint hordes of them.

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Certainly the Khorne battalion allows you to take a load of minotaurs led by a Doombull and with optional monsters with no need to take any of the smaller Beastmen. I’ve always been interested in a pure Minotaur army as they remind me of the Tauren in Warcraft III and I really like the plastic models.

11. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of the units are good against Order units. Much useful if I ever did a future game with a certain player

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I hope that the battletome will improve them, because to play minotaurs was "AoS - Hard Mode".

13. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

Dayum, there is also a solid SC! for Beastmen, replacing the allied set one.

Quite tempting for me to be fair. To bad University and free time aren't on the best terms for me right now.

[​IMG]

And with this it seems we've got this year's fourth Battleforce confirmed.

You can check out more of this week Beastmen relaunch pre-orders here.

Warden and Paradoxical Pacifism like this.
  14. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

yup that is solid

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Such a pity a friend of mine sold his army, tired by the weakness of it, embracing stormcast... :(

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  16. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Can't wait, excited for the book. Seeing the marks also persuades the mass collecting as I have a bit of Nurgle, Tzeentch and Slaanesh… could also say Khorne but I only have the Bloodletters. SC are just great to get a selection of miniatures without spending a ton.
    Now limited edition or not? Also want to pick up the Endless Spells and that.....

Update: Well resisted getting the Limited Edition because it's just a fancy cover and all. Picked up the Beasts of Chaos essentials and the Herdstone

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Such is the fate of those who thread carelessly through the fields of AoS.

Killer Angel likes this.
  18. Killer Angel
    Slann

we are constantly mocking him since the release has been announced. :D

19. Aginor
    Slann

I would never sell my army because it is weak. Balance in Warhammer is always shifting.
    When I got both of my armies (Seraphon and Deathrattle) they were pretty weak. Now they are in the top 25% of armies.
    It was only a matter of time for Beastmen.

Anyway, I am really on the fence. Might get some beastmen and the Battletome when my current backlog is through, so probably around Christmas.
    My goal will be an elite army with as few small models as possible. Not aiming for competitive, just for fun and style mainly.
    I might also combine them with a few if the models from the Silver Tower set, if I understand correctly I should be able to play the Gaunt Summoner or the Ogroid Thaumaturge in a Beastmen army for magical support.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

As you should!!! :)