1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age GW Razordon kit

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Haemoglobin, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

Question: has anyone recently bought a GW Razordon kit from the webstore or GW store. I am curious to see if the quality of the Failcast has improved. I am thinking of picking up 3 of them to play as Spearbacks but I dont want to waste my money on models riddled with gaps :p

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Didn't they stop using the fine cast?

If they did and they are still fine cast well they will be failcast.

Look on ebay for old metal models maybe.

3. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Not sure if they actually stopped using finecast. I've been looking for them on ebay but they are all from US sellers so it would be like 30 euros a piece :p

4. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I have always experienced a lot of failcast in the early beginnings, but it tended to really get better with the days. Would also like to ad that GW, even though it is a terrible company, has very good customer service and will send new models if you send them pictures of miscasted models, or if you go to a store with your miscasts. So, not really a risk here, should just go for it ;)

n810 likes this.
  5. Blakksheep
    Skink

Blakksheep Member

That's lame. A couple of weeks ago when I was checking around for cheapish Razordons the only one's that were under what I wanted to pay were over in the UK from a eBay'er named thetrolltrader. I never pulled the trigger on them because stuff from him takes awhile to get to me and I didnt know if they'd get here in time for what I wanted them for, but I'd check in with that guy every once in awhile. He's on your side of the pond and he has some good deals most of the time.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Blakksheep
    Skink

Blakksheep Member

Miscasts are just opportunities to get practice using your green stuff!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I buy quite a bit of him, he will discount and combine postage without any fuss.

8. Blakksheep
    Skink

Blakksheep Member

Oh you're right I really like the guy a lot. He's super easy to work with, it's just a time thing for me usually.

9. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with mine, is that the base coat is coming off, even though I have washed them 2 times, and it is the second basecoat. (They are "fine"cast)

But none of the problems with deformation some "fine"cast models might have.

10. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I don´t really think fine cast is that bad, I know it´s harder to work with, but I never had any problems with any model. And i like the amount of details it can hold. Also, I can not work with metal. It´s way too hard for pinning and even the primer can be scratched off. I would prefer plastic for it´s resistance, but I prefer finecast over metal.
    (Opinions obviously depend on experience, and maybe you guys had worse luck with finecast)

11. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

i recently bought 2 of them and it has made me think about not buying a 3rd one until they get rid of the finest models it took me easily 2 hrs just to get one to actually glue together. in saying that though there were not lines or gaps in the model when i eventually got it built and i left the other one in its box for a week before i even attempted to make that one lol (also a stupidly long time to get it to stay in one piece as well)

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

In my opinion...
    Plastic > Metal > Finecast

13. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Yea I prefer metal over failcast so I am kinda looking for metal models atm :p I think I will be a bit more patient and wait till I get a good price on ebay.

14. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I have been searching the eBay for Razordon models for a price I want for years without any luck. They always go over the GW prices. Postage is a big factor, especially now that eBay started their universal postage system. What a rip off!

On the other hand, I have had a great luck with Finecast. In the past year and a half I have bought: Trazyn the Infinite, Orikan the Diviner, Nemesor Zahndrek, Illuminor Szeras, Herald of Khorne, Be'lakor and two packs of resin Flamers. All of them without any flaws. Not even bubbles. Same with all the other models I have.

Resin is a pain to glue together, but right techniques help. Use super glue or spesific resin glue (like Loctite), plastic glue doesn't work. Pin if possible. Create more surface for the glue to act by scratching the surfaces you are about to glue (also, leave of the dust on the surface, as it will accelerate the bonding). And try not to drop your models (sigh)...

Good luck with your hunt for hunting packs!

15. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Yea Ebay is having a real shortage of them. I think I will just buy a couple off the website and hope for the best. I can always return them if they are too crappy.

16. Blakksheep
    Skink

Blakksheep Member

I just got a new Razordon from GW the other day and it's finecast - the one I got isnt bad but from what I understand it's still hit or miss this stuff. What did surprise me was that it came with two heads and two tails. I dunno, they're a little different but they're not different enough to warrant a meaningful choice between the two in m opinion. I mean, dont get me wrong; I'm not complaining. I always love getting extra stuff it's just of all the things to add bits to this wasn't the thing I figured would net me some leftovers.

17. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

On this subject, can anyone recommend some good alternative Spineback models?