1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW Suitcase problem

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Suppe, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

I know that I posted a topic must like this but about the Stegadon, the problem now is the cold one. Ive tried placing it standing up, lying down, face plant and so on but cant seem to fit. Just wanted to hear what you have done.
    :blackalien: :droid: damn those smilies are bloody

2. WheelR
    Chameleon Skink

WheelR New Member

Suitcases.. You got a sissy army!? The real way of transportation is a big shoe box! With lots of paper! Thats how real dinosaurs move!

3. Benster
    Jungle Swarm

Benster New Member

You could also greenstuff small bolts to the bottom of the bases, and then attach them to a piece of masonite or plywood with screws. Then you can secure the board into a box and they won't move. This way, you don't even have padding rubbing against your paint job. although I suppose this can be a huge pain to do with your entire army, because it takes too much time to unscrew them all, it at least can work for the few models you can't seem to get into the suitcase/hardcase.

There is a blog somewhere on the internet where a guy walks you through this with pictures. I'll look it up later and post the URL if you are interested.

4. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

I cut out a T-section to make a 4-slot space, then lie them on their sides. The base should fit and I find that the head/spear and tail make for a snug fit and keep it in place. But I'm using the better CoC models, or the original ones as others know them.

5. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

You betcha I'm interrested, I have to transport 1000 points in a suitcase and I can't seem to get the 700 points to fit

6. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

My case manages to fit a variable 2000 points, got a steg (the old one) 16 spears, 20 HW, (full comm with both) a slann, nearly 30 skinks, (2 old comm sets for the skinks) a krox, 5 cav, swarms, rule book, LM book, and a lone space marine...should put him in my other case really but he is so awesomely painted....I loves it.......

The only thing not in the case are 3 terradons that are notoriously bad for getting broken....

I'm sure there is more in there but I'll be damned if I can remember right now....

All of the stuff in there fits in fine, had to cut through a layer or 2 for the larger models like the slann and steg, but otherwise, no worries. Also stuff a bit of tissue paper in there for good measure.

-Eagle-

7. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Could you take a picture of each tier? would like to see how you places it all

8. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

Currently the case is a little empty, havn't been transporting much just lately so half my units are on display, but you can still see the general thing I have going on.

Using this system the only issues I ever experience are occasional lost shields, and I do mean occasional.

All shots are without the copious amounts of tissue that is normally present for added padding.

I apologise for the poor quality pics, had to use my mobile phone camera and as it's not a feature I really care about it wasn't a top priority to get a decent camera on my phone.

Top Tier (Cav/Saurus/SV)
    IMG_0053.jpg
    Middle Tier (Steg/Saurus w spears/Skinks[2 per slot])
    IMG_0054.jpg
    Botton Tier (Slann)
    IMG_0055.jpg
    Bottom and Middle Tiers
    IMG_0056.jpg
    Middle and Top Tiers
    IMG_0057.jpg

9. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Nice thank you

10. Sh-tfish
    Jungle Swarm

Sh-tfish New Member

Hi guys.

I am just building up my Lizardmen army and I was thinking about transport too.
    With my friend we come to this solution:

1 - put good magnetic foil on the model bases (great thing - you can create metal moving trays and no more models falling of!)
    2 - take shoe box and glue metal plate on bottom. Transport box i complete - models won't move and you don't need any foam or loads of paper around models
    3 - use your favorite luggage to transport army boxes (preferably armored suitcase :meh: )
    4 - be proud - you found an easy and working solution!

PS: note that magnetic foil does not posses godlike povers - in case of harder impacts models still can move or even fall of from metal bases in transport boxes. Try to do trasport boxes as small as possible to restrict models movement.

11. Benster
    Jungle Swarm

Benster New Member

Hey, sorry for the delay. I have to get on my other computer to get that URL I promised, but i also found this guide which is similar to the suggestion the previous poster (Sh-tfish) made, so it may also be of use. Looks like a decent guide. I'll get that other URL this afternoon.

http://www.stephane.info/show.php?code=army_transport

12. johnh
    Skink

johnh New Member

Rare Earth Magnets are the key, fit a couple of those on the underside of a cavalry base, and sit it on medal, it isn't going anywhere. I have used them on my entire lizardman army, and put medal in the movement trays, now, I just carry them in the trays, which fit conveniently some hollowed out foam trays (from the sobol army cases), and then fit those down into a crate with wheels and a handle. No problems at all....unless it rains, I really do need to get one of those with a lid on it.....

John

13. Benster
    Jungle Swarm

Benster New Member

John, where is the best place to find these magical magnets?

14. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

15. Erazoender
    Jungle Swarm

Erazoender New Member

700 points only??

I can fit 2000!

I just cut out 2x2 of foam in the corner, much like above, and cut the same way through all three layers. It used to be for my Stegadon, but now it is for my Oldblood on Carnasaur as it is much to fragil to be tossed into a normal case.

16. johnh
    Skink

johnh New Member

I got 1000 of them off of ebay for $39.95 +shipping. Just type in rare earth magnets in the Ebay search.

John

17. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Even new they are dirt cheap though, something like 2 cents a magnet. You can get 200 (more than enough to start with) for like 15-20 bucks.

Nothing wrong with ebay, but make sure they are in good condition. These magnets are so powerful (especially the larger ones) that if they click together too hard they will break each other, which reduces magnetic power. Also if you decide to get a few larger ones just for play (they are great fun!) be careful, a square magnet no more than a couple inches on either side of your finger can break it when they want to get together. :jawdrop:

18. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

0393.jpg

0212.jpg

Now thats strong magnets :D