1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide my future direction

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Crowsfoot, May 12, 2017.

?

Is it Time to call it a day and.....

1. Sell everything and do nothing more.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Paint what I have left then sell it all.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Start doing one off models, convert and paint, admire then sell.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Scale back each army, continue painting single models.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Sell each army then reinvest the money into single models for display.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Keep 2 armies for the chance I might get a game sometime.

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Ok guys this is where I am at.

Found local store that plays AOS been 6 times played twice, they seem unwilling to accept new players into the group.

I have gone straight after work to try and be the first there but some don't work and are already playing, I have asked about arranging games but no one wants to commit, shop is open until 9pm they finish gaming at around 7:30 and then play magic the gathering and I'm stood there like a plonker doing nothing, no one is up for a game.

Archie has no interest at all and I don't think he ever will so I'm at a critical stage, why am I painting armies and just sticking them in a drawer.

So I've created this poll to see what you guys would do in a similar situation.

Bowser and Captaniser like this.
  2. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

There's a few options you haven't got listed...

Find another group, possibly slightly further afield, and try those out.

Consider painting the army for the love of the hobby rather than playing the games.

Considering going to one day events / tournaments and using that as your "game time" and then plan/build one single amazing army for that event. You can always sell it after.

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Good options,

1. I don't have time to travel further at the moment, kids take up all my free time.

2. Been doing that for the past 2 years.

3. Actual not a bad idea, build an army each year for the Lustria warhammer world weekend.

4. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Sounds like a better idea than packing it all in and sending it off to me... If that didn't take your fancy then painting display models would probably be the best option from your remaining ones, in my opinion.

Lustria Warhammer World Weekend needs to gain some traction though, I sense a thread coming on...

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Finish painting both armies, and invite friends of and host a game at your place.
    or find the next closest shop and play there, as you are in the UK I assume this is only a few miles.
    at the very least you would have more valuable painted armies.

TheSkeptic, Crowsfoot, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Great suggestions above by @Ritual & @n810 . I wouldn't get rid of your armies. This is clearly something that you enjoy. Keep looking for more playing options and you never know what is waiting just around the corner. You may run into a new gaming group, you may be able to bring a few friends into the hobby, or a new gaming store could open up near by. Plus, as time goes by, your kids will probably require less attention, so you may be able to travel a bit more to find a game.

7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Just a thought, if you keep two armies, and talk to the store about hosting a tournament there. You may find new players coming out for a tournamenr, and might get some contacts to play games with. Even if it is at someone's house instead of a store. You can use any additional models you want to get ris of as prizes for best painted, sportsmanship and winner or top 3 spots. It is a bit more ground work, but a $10 tourney may attract new players to the store that you might be able to set up games with, put a bit of money in your pocket for the models, and you can give a cut to the store. Around here we have a Warhammered tournament where they rent out a hall, get a liquor license and 2 days of drink and gaming. Brings out all sorts of people. But for that you would need to have the tables and terrain. And would need to charge substantially more for tickets.

NIGHTBRINGER and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

All great ideas guys, keep them coming.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Also if you have two armies, see if anyone at work is interested. That's what we did, my friend basically gave away a skaven army to get another guy started. We helped him learn, and then he got 2 or 3 others into it. You don't have to give away your army, but you can teach them the game and let them decide if they want to get into it. If you can get a couple of people you can have some variety in play and playstyles, as well as 3 or 4 way games.

NIGHTBRINGER, Crowsfoot and n810 like this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

• Move to Canada
    • Discontinue playing AoS and Kings of War
    • Start playing 8th edition WFB
    • Play 8th edition WFB with NIGHTBRINGER and @Mrs. NIGHTBRINGER

Sound like a good plan to me... and once you get by step #1, the rest is smooth sailing!

TheSkeptic, n810, Crowsfoot and 2 others like this.
  11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

If you move to Canada, head west. Lots of AOS, and I will be able to set you up with a game any time you want. I have all sorts of contacts.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Please do not derange my well thought out and wonderful plan! ;)

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  13. Dragonfire
    Cold One

Dragonfire Well-Known Member

I would use Warhorn or your local game store's FB page to try to meet new players and arrange games. Warhorn helps out a ton and I know lots of people who use it to find games even if they live in the middle of nowhere.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Is there a UK version? Seems to be rather US centric.

15. Soxii
    Saurus

Soxii Active Member

I would advise not doing anything that you would come to regret later (like selling off all the models- the amount of times I've heard people regret selling off everything and then having to restart building their armies can be quite common). There is a really good channel somewhere on Youtube of a wargamer who advocates being a hobby champion or hero (or something of that nature) in that you have 2 armies and that you can let people borrow one as you teach them the rules of how to play the game with the other army, and otherwise get them into the hobby (meaning more people who can paint and play! :D ) If in the end you feel like moving on from the hobby, you could perhaps see the models as a potential retirement fund, or something to pass onto relatives/kids should they ever develop an interest in it. If the other people at that club won't game with you, then (time and commitments permitting) you could start your own club locally *insert Futurama Bender joke about making own club with Blackjack and Hookers*

NIGHTBRINGER, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I like the Hookers bit!

n810 and Soxii like this.
  17. PhoenixTheCat
    Terradon

PhoenixTheCat Well-Known Member

Do not sell your armies. Also, for the direction to go, I say left.

Bowser, Crowsfoot and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Disagree, for the direction I would suggest: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start

Soxii, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Well I sort of know what I'm doing now and basically it's this,

I'm not buying any models but I am finishing what I have and selling some of them, basically down sizing each army, not sure if Seraphon will get down sized yet but the rest will.

Then I can concentrate on terrain and one of models etc and still have models if Archie decides to play.

Bowser, n810 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So you have decided not to come to Canada and play 8th edition with NIGHTBRINGER & @Mrs. NIGHTBRINGER ? :(