1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Help me with an effective Fangs of Sotek list

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by nomis, Apr 12, 2019.

1. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

Wanting to put together a 2k fangs of sotek list because narrative!

Generally I play a skink heavy list but would like to try something different.

What sort of stuff should i add to my list?

I like the look of this but I very rarely play guard and warriors so advice would be welcomed!

Slann
    Old blood on carni
    Sunblood
    Saurus Warriors - clubs - 20
    Saurus Warriors - spears - 20
    Saurus Warriors - spears - 20
    Saurus Guard - 5
    Saurus Guard - 5
    Saurus Guard - 5
    Bastiladon

Fangs of Sotek
    Sunclaw Starhost

Im thinking large number and flooding the table while the bastiladon rains down sun beams from the sky! However, I am open to changing this!

EDIT: That list is 1990 points.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I usually only run spears on units of 30/40 for warriors, otherwise the clubs are better. I would recommend one unit of 40 spears and 2 units of 10 clubs to maintain that sunclaw. it would actually lower your current points spent on warriors from 600 to 560. also that list is unit heavy, so a scar-vet on Carno is better than the old blood (for the command ability... put it on the 40 man sunclaw spear warriors and watch the damage fly!)... and another 20(?) points cheaper. this would bring you to 1930 points, enough to bring an endless spell or two. or get an extra command point.

LizardWizard and nomis like this.
  3. Stega
    Skink

Stega Member

I'd say take out the guard if you're not using eternal battalion and replace them with some knights for better mobility.

Schwaaah, LizardWizard and nomis like this.
  4. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

For a FoS list usually you want one of your Warriors units to be maxed out to 40, the remaining two being set at 10 or 20 models.
    I don't think guards can fit a Fangs of Sotek battalion (and they need their Eternal Starhost to be somewhat useful).

You might also want to add a Saurus Astrolith Bearer for summons and rerolls.
    And a Starpriest is Auto-include in most Seraphon list

If you have spare points you can go Endless Spells (Balewind, Cogs) to aid summoning or Razordons.

LizardWizard and nomis like this.
  5. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

This is great advice, especially on saving points! Unforntunately you cant have the scar vet on a fangs of sotek list (And i dont have one!)

I only own the 8 knights that came in the start collecting box. Its the only unit that I dont have a decent quantity of as I have never found them to be effective!

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

This is how I run FoS. You can drop the Astrolith Bearer and some Razordons if you want to take an ScV on Carno to super buff your 40 man Warrior unit.

nomis likes this.
  7. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

All great advice here!

Can i ask about formation? How should that big ol blob of 40 saurus be deployed?

Rows of 10 in a big rectagle? or some kind of V Shape? I never normally play units of that size!

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

That depends on how you are playing the match.

You want to start with units compact and then fan them out more as your advance before a charge. This is to allow you to better move across the table while preparing to envelope an enemy formation. With spears you can fight in two ranks. The goal to have all ranks in combat.

You don't want to be caught in combat while in a block formation. This will result in a 1/3rd or more of your models not being able to participate in combat.

So, who will being going first, the paths through terrain, and the Battleplan objectives are all important factors when considering how best to create your unit formations.

Don't forget about the FoS bonus turn 1 movement and your drums:D

nomis likes this.
  9. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Here is a double Carno list if you want to use the ScV command ability on your block of warriors.

Allegiance: Seraphon

- Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS:
    Slann Starmaster
    (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Great Rememberer
    - Artefact : Miasmatic Blade

Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
    - Warspear
    - Artefact : Betrayer's Crown

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
    - Artefact : Doppelganger Cloak

UNITS:
    40 x Saurus Warriors (360)
    - Spears
    10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
    - Clubs
    10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
    - Clubs
    3 x Razordons (120)

BATTALIONS:
    Fangs of Sotek
    (70)
    Sunclaw Starhost (130)

ENDLESS SPELLS:
    Chronomantic Cogs
    (60)
    Balewind Vortex (40)

TOTAL: 1980/2000
    EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2
    WOUNDS: 110

Instead of betrayer's Crown you could use the Sword of Judgement on your ScV. If you don't expect to play vs hordes then the SoJ is the better choice. You can also drop the Balewind Vortex to add an additional Razordon.

Lizerd and GuaDan like this.
  10. nomis
    Cold One

nomis Well-Known Member

List look great - makes me want to but a third carno kit!

Do you not need to have a sunblood in that list to get the Sunclaw starhost?

LizardWizard likes this.
  11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I lied. Forgot the Sunblood. Drop the Astro for a Sunblood and Razordon.

I shouldn't build lists when I am sleepy.

Wilhelm Stürmer likes this.
  12. beaubinski
    Jungle Swarm

beaubinski New Member

I've been having a lot of trouble with formations, especially 40 man units. I can usually only get about a a 3rd or 4th in to attack. I do fan them out, but I think I'm definitely missing something here. Obviously, I am a pretty new player.

I haven't really delved too deeply looking for formation tips, especially regarding 40 man units. An illustration would definitely help me do better with my fangs of sotek.

13. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

i Would;

-create one larger unit (to maintain the 30+ model buff) and have two smaller ones (10 man) to protect from chaff.

-Add a priest for buff to bites (as you will get lots of them, may as well maximise the damage output)

-replace oldblood with a vet - to again maximise the Saurus attacks (every hit of 6 adds another) - with the skink this means you get double damage on bites of 6 and another attack.

-lose the guard they are just eating up points as cannon fodder - you want that get skinks for more wounds/movement and bigger screens (plus 30 points cheaper per unit)

-Astrolith is handy for re-rolls but your unit will have to be wholly within 12 where your sunblood can give them the same thing for 1cp - take him if you want free units or for his points cost of 160 bring something meaty like kroxigors or rippers to add some umpf to the list - or yeah 4x razors.

-consider whether you want to summon or not, a slaan will add a few perks to the list (but honestly not anything that is a game changer or something else can’t do) - your current list will only allow you to generate up to 10cp a turn so that’s something worth summoning by turn 3 (30cp) I’d say that’s a long ass wait when you could just leave the slaan in the heavens and bring another basti along, with two on the field you generate a much bigger range kill ability (which you want with so many footmen) and they are tough as nails - remember you can still teleport without a slaan (just 1 unit per turn instead of two)
    If you really need the dispels you will have a priest at least - but any magic heavy army won’t care too much even if a slaan is around (his dispel range is nice as it’s endless) but he still can only dispel so much (the way I see it is that if a spell goes off it’s generally done with a decent roll - a lesser spell that gets a 5/6/7 etc is generally not too scary

Food for thought :) hope it helps

LizardWizard likes this.