1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Help Taking Out SCE Vanguard

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by claymore36, Nov 23, 2017.

1. claymore36
    Saurus

claymore36 Active Member

My last game against Stormcast I really struggled against raptors with longstrike crossbows, vanguard palladors, and a Lord Aquilor. They outrange me, are extremely mobile, and still more durable than most of my units. I try to smash them with my heavy hitters like carnosaurs and stegadons but they survive the assault every time and then shoot me to bits on their turn. Any particular strategies you guys have for dealing with them? I know I can do more to limit the Aquilor's deep strike abilities, and our own teleport helped me reach the raptors faster but I usually have to take a lot of hits before doing any real damage to them and they manage to outlast me in a drawn out fight.

2. Paul Beenis
    Cold One

Paul Beenis Active Member

Have a look at my battle report and my army list here:

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/scorched-earth-sce-vs-seraphon.20428/

I faced 9 vanguard raptors and pulled off a win. Zoning in deployment will be super important for you, especially considering the sneaky Lord Aquillor tactics. I found the secret against SCE is to play the mission rather than trying to table your opponent... Seraphon seem a lot better at the former. Also consider lots of low cost troops that can draw fire and take all the damage. Pressuring objectives with 80 skinks helped here for me, and became the targets of my opponents raptors! Good luck

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah, those are a pain in our scaly behinds.
    The best way is probably to just put so many wounds on the table that they cannot kill all of them quickly enough.

Paul Beenis likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In terms of straight out fighting them the only option we have would be bastillidons buffed with summon starlight. It negates the mortal wounds & heavy rend & their firepower should be enough to at least take down a whole bunch of those nasty SCE...

Apart from that, as other suggest just throw a crapton of skinks at them. They can now choose between taking out the big threat that is your bastiladon and waste a whole lot of time on that while your skinks get objectives or get close enough to pepper them with their attacks... if nothing else they'l just die from the sheer weight of 19038109238 blowpipe darts. Or they can try to kill all your skinks while your bastillidon shoots down a couple of SCE every turn. Either way a good chunk of their attacks should be "wasted"

An alternative might be a thunderquake host that hides a slann in the middle of it and then relying on magic to kill of a bunch of the SCE while you summon stuff in their backs and pray the healing is enough to have your thunderquake survive.

apart from that you probably want to take out the archers first as they are the easiest to kill and have the larges area threatenend.

That's about all I can think of that would actually help..

Aginor likes this.
  5. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

ahahaha you got me good there:D

Aginor likes this.
  6. claymore36
    Saurus

claymore36 Active Member

Thanks for the input guys. A bastiladon is next on my purchase list so hopefully that'll help tank some wounds and lay down the hurt. While I don't like the idea of painting a bunch of skinks I may add them in the future to screen the rest of my army.

Canas and Aginor like this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Skinks are very versatile and actually pretty easy to paint if you aim for tabletop quality.

I would say that you can paint Skinks in less than half the amount of time needed for Saurus Warriors. Half an hour per model or so the way I do them.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

A crapton of warriors could work as well, but they're shorter range, slower and more expensive. So as pure fodder they tend to be a tad worse.