1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Help with post-game analysis

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Audvin, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

I’m trying to learn from my mistakes and get out of my WHFB “rank’n’file” thoughts. Played against DC, which should be a cake walk, but I’ve never won against him. We played Total Commitment.

This is the deployment. Any thoughts?

I have Slann, 2 EotG, Astrolith, Starpriest and Sunblood. Sunclaw with 40/10/10 and 2/2 Razordons, one with handlers.
    E66B1B30-655F-4966-865B-2A940500AA87.jpeg

He played defensively and I did som damage with teleporting Razordons and summoning Rippers turn 1 and 2 (same three with engines). Tried to kill his dragon which I failed to do. The decisive moment I think was in my turn 3. I teleported my 40 man unit to go for the kill on the dragon and try and get more models on one of his objectives. I rolled a 4 and could not move. I was focused on placement to keep his dragon from flying over the unit to charge the slann and missed an opportunity to block his light cav, hydra and executioners from reaching the EotG I had guarding the objective. I’m guess I should have summoned skinks instead of Rippers?

The move in question in turn 3.

Before teleport with EotG on objective: 9FA34BD6-AA8B-4FD5-8DF9-97EDE8476F98.jpeg

After teleport. EotG still on objective:
    7282BD93-27A2-4F43-B1B5-943E3E3AF8C5.jpeg

Should I try to keep my 10 man units on the objectives next time and be more aggressive with the Engines instead? Since it’s more models within 6” that controll an objective EotGs as guards might have been the gravest error?

Any insight you guys can give would be helpful. Really want this Sunclaw to work. #2019yearofthesaurus

tfihsnz likes this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Initial deployement seems fine.

Using your EoTG to hold an objective on his own was indeed probably a mistake. It's only 1 model, and it isn't powerfull enough to be able to just wipe out whatever comes to contest the objective.

As for summoning rippers versus summoning skinks, depends on what your rippers ended up achieving. In this particular case it's hard to tell. On the one hand skinks would've been good cuz you were lacking bodies, having only 3 units with more than a handfull of models in them, on the other hand you're also not exactly spoiled with high damage dealers and do rather need those rippers to go and actually murder some stuff.

I think using both 2 EoTG's and a sunclaw host, might simply not be very efficient as it leaves you with only your 40 man blob as an actual threat while everything else is merely there in a supportive role, while also leaving your bodycount lacking as your blob would be wasted just guarding an objective. So you end up in a situation where unless both EoTG's get to summon constantly and you can summon both some skinks for bodies and some terra's/rippers for damage dealing you'l never be happy.

tfihsnz, Cageyblood and Aginor like this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

One of our army's greatest strengths is our innate ability to re-deploy.

In AoS it is generally a good idead to put your core units in the center of the table. This allows them the widest range of options for use throughout the match. However, for Seraphon we have a tremendous advantage. We can over load flanks and force the opponent to respond. Then, at a later point in the match we can re-deploy our over commited units to other zones of the battlefield. This enables our army to act like a scalpel and strike where ever the greatest opportunities present themselves.

In short. I would have put your large unit of warriors off to a flank. Try to win one of the sides of the battlefield while your other units keep the enemy tied up. Then after one side is won either swing the unit and sweep back across the field or re-deploy them with LoSaT yet again. This is why Great Remember is such a strong command trait.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    tfihsnz, Aginor and Audvin like this.