1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ho'key Po'key's painting log (Ancient Stegadon complete)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Ho'key Po'key, May 20, 2015.

1. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Ok so I'm back in the US from my German vacation and itching to get some painting done! I've had Lizardmen since around 2005 but due to the lack of interest in my gaming group for fantasy battles, my army never really went past the starter box, Temple Guard, Slann, Salamanders, and an old metal Stegadon. I've been able to generate some interest in my group for fantasy in the last couple years and we have let 40k (and the absolutely mindboggling pace of new releases) fall by the wayside for a bit. I decided to treat the Lizardmen right now and give them a coat of paint or two.

This old guy has been with me since the beginning. The Slann is done but I am still working on the Palanquin. 20150520_100217.jpg 20150520_095534.jpg
    This Scar-vet on foot has served me well, so well that I did him up with the Mark of the Old Ones from our previous book. 20150520_095753.jpg 20150520_095826.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looking good!

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Great work... I love the purple Slann!

4. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

That purple Slann looks so...toxic. I love it.

Herr Pete likes this.
  5. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Some work in progress shots of my Saurus Warriors and Skinks. I have a LONG way to go till I say they are done. Thanks for the compliments! This forum has greatly inspired me to get these Lizardmen done and done well.

The To Do list includes:
    Finish the Palanquin
    Carnosaur and Rider
    Tetto'eko
    2 Skink Priests
    2 Skink Chiefs
    Saurus Oldblood/Scar-vet on foot
    50 Saurus Warriors
    60ish Skinks (Cohort/Skirmishers)
    25 Temple Guard
    2 Kroxigor (five if I make Woogity's next list!)
    10 Cold Ones and Riders
    3 Terradons and Riders
    10 Chameleon Skinks
    Bastiladon
    Troglodon
    2 Ancient Stegadons (one w/ EotG and one w/Giant Blowpipes)
    2 Salamanders and Handlers
    2 Razordons and Handlers

I'm thinking of picking up one more Stegadon to have all three options, the two plastic ones I have were eBay rescues that were glued together. I may be able to magnitize the one with Blowpipes to swap out for a Giant Bow though.... 20150520_100430.jpg 20150520_095334.jpg 20150520_095646.jpg 20150520_095735.jpg
    I have my work cut out for me but I am determined to see it through.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Herr Pete likes this.
  6. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Good luck with them! What colour did you use on your Saurus btw? They're pretty striking.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Wow... that is quite the collection. That should keep you busy for the time being. Good luck.

8. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Yeah, I have a problem. I only have Lizardmen for Fantasy but for 40k I have 10k pts of Space Wolves, 8k of Tau, 5k of Eldar, and 3k each of Orks, Imperial Guard, and Necrons. There's also a Mars pattern Warhound and a Baneblade in the collection.

I don't even want to mention how much Battlefleet Gothic stuff I have.......a LOT should suffice.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Don't worry we're all addicts here. The first step is admitting that we have an addiction. We've gathered here to talk about it and share our feelings. ;)

10. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

I used my airbrush to coat the model in Vallejo Model Air: Light Sea Blue then I air brushed French Blue from the top down.

Starting the finishing work on one of my Saurus blocks now, I'll post the results later tonight (hopefully).

11. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

20150523_003046.jpg 20150523_003135.jpg 20150523_003148.jpg I completed a test model Saurus tonight. With the work I have done on the unit plus the time it took me to do the test model, I just might be able to finish the whole block this weekend! I am going to knock out the command group tonight, that only leaves 21 regular Saurus Warriors that already have the blue on their bodies and green base on their shields. Personal challenge accepted!

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Looks really good. I do feel that it could benefit from a little bit more colour contrast between the skin and the scales. They blend into one another a bit.
    Nice work though; looking forward to seeing more! :)

13. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

I agree, I have been trying to figure out what to use. If I go for an edge highlight it would look odd as it would likely be the same color as the ubderbelly. What color would you suggest? somewhere between the two blues for the edge highlight or something completely different?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looking good, maybe drybrush the scales a totally different colour, red maybe.

15. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Now that may work! I will give that a shot during the kids' naptime today. Hopefully that is, naptime is no longer guaranteed now that the twins are three. Sometimes it works out in my favor though, I have had them help me lay down base coats on models before. I'll have to post some of my Eldar, their services have been contracted on several squads of Eldar.

More on topic, I like the red idea. I sat there last night for far too long trying to figure out how to fix the issue but didn't even think about going with a completely different color. I blame too many hours awake with far too little sleep! Ah, the struggles of graveyard shift parents with day shift parenting duties......

I was able to finish the command section last night as planned, I will post photos shortly. I am not satisfied with the banner but I will correct the issues later.

16. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Command group: 20150523_233313.jpg 20150523_233316.jpg 20150523_233356.jpg 20150523_233402.jpg 20150523_233435.jpg 20150523_233440.jpg

I noticed the mold lines on the musician after I took the photo, it has been fixed. I am making good headway on the rest of the block, and will likely be able to finish them tonight. A friend is supposed to come over to get a game on, if he does I won't be able to finish the unit.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Nice work on the standard. That is a pretty smooth transition from yellow to red. Looks great.

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  19. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Nightbringer: Thanks man, I hit it with some red and yellow glazes after the initial paint blending and I am much happier with it. I am going to sort out the scale issue at a later date, I'd rather get them table ready then work on the nice finishes later.

N810, those are some great looking Saurus! The GW blue Saurus sceme seems to be widely looked down on but I like them. I do prefer them just a bit darker than the studio army though.

Thanks for all the support guys, it makes the grueling job of painting worth it. I will post photos of the block either later tonight or in the morning. No game tonight but my wife was put on call at work (and Game of Thrones is on afterall.....) so I can't expect to get too much hobby time in.

20. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Ok so Real Life reared its ugly head and cut into hobby time. However, I was able to get the Saurus block mostly finished. I still need to do the teeth and the bases on the 2nd through 5th ranks. Photos of an Ancient Stegadon to follow shortly. 20150601_202406.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    n810, SlanntaClause and Crowsfoot like this.