1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ho'key Po'key's painting log (Ancient Stegadon complete)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Ho'key Po'key, May 20, 2015.

1. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

20150603_105723.jpg 20150603_105730.jpg 20150603_105736.jpg 20150603_105750.jpg 20150603_105803.jpg 20150603_105808.jpg

I'm going to start on the crew this weekend. Should I do yellow/orange Skinks like the one with my Slann or would y'all suggest another color?

SlanntaClause, Herr Pete and n810 like this.
  2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

First idea that popped into my head:
    Make them Red like their beast. But do their crests yellow/orange echoing the one with your Slann.

3. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

I am going to start on my Stegadon crews tonight, going with a deep orange color. I have an eBay rescue Stegadon that I will start on tonight as well. He came looking like this: 20150605_204013.jpg
    Should I run with it as is, giving it the treatment to make the existing colors look better or should I turn him red to match my Ancient?

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Damn you real world responsibilities!!! Looking good, keep it up!

5. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Other than the Skinks' eyes and the random feather (that I realized I forgot to do after taking the photos) this unit is complete. I am going for what I consider to be tabletop quality, it may be more or less than other opinions of that quality level but I am happy with it.
    20150607_090652.jpg 20150607_090659(0).jpg 20150607_090722.jpg 20150607_090739.jpg
    I believe I will start on my Bastilodon next. I will be putting static grass on the bases but plan on doing that en mass at the end of the project, it seems easier to me to do it that way.

Bowser, SlanntaClause, n810 and 4 others like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Looks good, though I would suggest painting the gem stones on the gold/bronze front piece on the howdah. Also, maybe give the horns a bit of a wash.

Great job, looking forward to the Bastilodon.

7. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Gah! I didn't even consider that those would be gems......having an eldar army you'd think it would be second nature! That would help break it up a bit, it does seem to be a large, rather plain, space without that. Consider it done (along with the feathers.......and eyes........and redo their weapons as I don't like the look of them.......)! Nothing is ever finished.

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looks really good, really need to finish mine!

9. Herr Pete
    Cold One

Herr Pete Active Member

I really do like the orange skinks! They're really striking. The Stegadon is top class to. Well done buddy!

10. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

So I keep getting sidetracked and start something else. I now currently have a Bastilodon, Stegadon, ancient Stegadon, Slann, and a unit of Saurus in various stages of completion. I will buckle down and spend the next of my hobby nights getting all these units finished. 20150611_230125.jpg
    The Saurus, Slann, and Ancient Stegadon are pretty well done, I just have a few minor things to knock out on those. The Stegadon is done, the howda and crew remain there, and the Bastilodon is close, details on him then Solar Engine and crew to do there. Thanks for all the compliments and advice, keep it coming!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    SlanntaClause likes this.
  11. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

Looking good. But you definitely need some skinks. I personally hate the fact that they are so good, having to paint all those tiny things :p

12. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

Oh I have Skinks galore, two 20+ Cohorts, three 10 strong Skirmisher units, and ten Chameleon Skinks. I just decided to knock out the big boys first. I can likely burn through a Skirmisher unit a night once I start on them.

13. Ho'key Po'key
    Skink

Ho'key Po'key Member

I must apologize for my complete lack of updates for almost a year.....my family and I moved, my normal fantasy group split due to suddenly differing work schedules, a renewed interest in 40k, and AoS (blah) hit further driving down local interest here. I will be updating this thread soon with newly painted models. Looking forward to the return.

Fhanados, tom ndege and Slanputin like this.