1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Are the points values calculated?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by CthuluIsSpy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. CthuluIsSpy
    Skink

CthuluIsSpy New Member

I've been wondering recently how they come up with the points values for certain models. Is it arbitrary, or is there a system?

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I think its a bit of a mixture of both, there is a 'standard' stat line with a standard points value, and adding or subtracting stats will increase the points by various amounts, some stats are given more weight than others. Then after that, any special rules are factored it.

It is worth remembering though that every army functions differently as a whole, which is why you won't really find a perfect mathematical balance of points/stats across all the armies. What is good value in one army might be fairly worthless in another, so thats where the arbitrary point comes in.

I assume GW also playtests the lists a fair bit before release and modifies it if something is too weak or powerful, though there often isn't strong evidence of tis in the final lists...

3. Mister Blak
    Skink

Mister Blak New Member

I believe that some things are always the same: a spear is one point, a wizard level is 35, but some others, like shields, change, and special rules are totally arbitrary.

4. Shaslain
    Saurus

Shaslain New Member

Eh, knowng how GW have been working out lately they just sort of feel for a points value. Depending on how a model playtests they apply a points value for it.

For skaven models they probably rate them differently than warriors of chaos models. They apply what special rules they have and how effective they are alone and in a unit. A skaven slave is not very effective alone, so their point cost would be less than a much more capable warrior. I think that is how they would do it.