1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much fluff do you read?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Realjuan, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Realjuan
    Cold One

Realjuan Well-Known Member

What percentage of official books/novels from GW do you read?
    How do you stay up to date on upcoming novels?

I am looking to catch up on the Warhammer World from the start "The End of Times" until "Age of Sigmar", but when I google for End of times book, there area many books and novels. Some of books or novels I had not see or heard before. I was wondering how many of you keep up to date with these releases.

End of Times Chronological order ?
    Extra: Whats the correct reading order of "The End of times"? Whats mark as an answer or whats on the Black Library website (List seems to be smaller)?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Warden and Bowser like this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Mostly just my army book...
    sometimes some old WD articles.

Warden likes this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The only fluff I read is from my old 8th army book, 1D4 chan, this site, and a little from the underempire. So I am not much help, but if I remember correctly, the order of the main books was:
    Nagash
    Glottkin
    Khaine
    Thanquol
    Archaon
    I think that should give you all the important fluff from the end times.

Warden likes this.
  4. Realjuan
    Cold One

Interesting, I was expecting more people to read all GW books and novels. Now I feel like a nerd for trying to get them :D

Note: I read my first post, and I apologize for it. Horrible

Bowser likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I wouldn't feel to bad, lots of my friends are right in to he official books. Just never felt too inclined to get in to them myself.

6. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I've read most of the Gotrek and Felix books, Brunner, a bunch of army books, big red books and some of the End Times stuff from the rulebooks but so far the only AoS stuff I've read is the Seraphon book.

40k wise I've read about 4 books from the Horus Heresy series, Angel of Darkness (bloody fantastic book if you like 40k at all), every big black rulebook since 3rd edition and more codeces than I have armies for. I've read a bunch of the freebie e-books that Black Library put out as teasers for stuff too but when it comes crunch time my money inevitably goes towards models to add to my growing collection of sprues and boxes,

7. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I read the "Headtaker" novel which was OK - but I only bought it for research reasons. I couldn't bring myself to read past Nagash in EOT, despite owning the books - because they were tearing down much loved canon and because it was all epic grand scale kind of stuff ("it was the worst threat the empire ever faced, so they raised the biggest army ever" - followed a week later by "an even bigger threat emerged, and they raised an even bigger army") and not really a personal, character driven story (IMHO)

I mostly satisfy my fluff cravings these days by waiting impatiently for @Fhanados to post another chapter of his epic The Beginning which I find much more interesting than any official stuff I've read. Hopefully, @Realjuan you have found some of the other great lustrian produced fiction in the Fluff subforum.

8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

There is great stuff in the fluff forum! Especially handy are the compiled language/fluff resources the site has produced. Lots of great information all in one place.

Personally I have loved reading the fluff in several generations of army books and Warhammer core rulebooks (WH and WH40K). Never read the end times because I couldn't justify buying the expensive books at the time (might get some for cheap someday...). Also read a couple White Dwarf articles, and thoroughly enjoyed the fluff sprinkled throughout the Mordheim Town Cryers. Also the various lexicanums and wikis for both WH and 40K are stuffed full of great information, much of it from the original army books, but lots of other great stuff too.

I have read a lot of source history books (Mayans...) but I can't count those here :D. Only novels I have read are the Horus Heresey novel on the White Scars. Need to get a 40K Templar novel at some point... :mad:

Bowser likes this.
  9. Realjuan
    Cold One

@Fhanados As a Colombian, I need to get my hands on those free e-books.

@spawning of Bob I did find the fluff section and enjoyed it a lot. I need to turn a few into PDF that way I can read them on my kindle (90% of my reading I do outside home). Would anyone else be interested in PDF files? Maybe with help from others, we could have a nice PDF library. Nevertheless, I should post my appreciation on the respective threads, because the fluff section is the part that I like the most of this forum :D

@Warden I bought my first White Dwarf yesterday, basically because it had a model that I can use in Gorechosen. Its in German, which I am not 100% fluent, but its also a motivation to improve my German.

I am trying rush through the 8th edition Warrior of Chaos AB, maybe the 9th edition, some of the ET and then some of AoS. Then I should have a good idea of what to write for my new army. Right now it looks like a combination of Mad Max - The Book of Eli

Warden, Bowser and spawning of Bob like this.
  10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Sounds interesting... please share when it is developed!

Also good luck being Columbian, using an English site, and trying to become fluent in German too. o_O

Bowser likes this.