1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS How often do 2500 point battles happen in competetive? (And how competetive is my dream army?)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

So I saw the tread by Foolsama here: http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/assemble-dream-team-max-2500-pts.18435/ and it made me realise that I always hear about competetive matches having 2000 point armies.

I was wondering, how often does it happen for competetive matches to field 2500 point armies? Because I would love the idea of two huge armies clashing with one another.

This is kinda our current dream army. We based it off our more casual Saurus army, which we wanted to use to have more casuall and fun matches. And I'm curious if people think it might also work well in competetive after adding a few more units?

Celestial Might (extended)

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (320)
    Saurus Scar veteran on Carnosaur (260)
    -Carries his spear for 6 attacks, and it deals 2 damage per attack instead of 1 thanks to his artifact.
    Saurus Sunblood (120)
    Saurus Oldblood (100)
    Slann Starmaster (260) (General)
    -Reckless trait to allow rerolls on charges.
    Celestial Hurricanum (for the area buff and ranged damage) (320)
    -Phoenix stone for health regen.
    Luminark of Hysh (for the area buff and ranged damage) (220)
    Skink Priest (Priestly trappings) (for the area buff to give your units more survivablity in melee. They can already reroll saves against ranged attacks thanks to your Slann) (100)

Units
    Saurus Warriors x 40 (Either put them behind your warriors, or let them all pile in when they can charge) (400)
    Saurus Warriors x 10 (100)

Batallions
    Bloodclaw Starhost (100)

The idea is that you form several battle lines. In front you have your 3 units of 10 warriors with clubs, who will take the brunt of any attack. Behind them you have your stack of 40 warriors with spears, allowing them to pile in more with their 2" reach and sort of act like a wreching ball. Ideally, you want to be the one charging first with those guys, and deal as much damage as possible with their 80 spear attacks, and 80 bite attacks. Also you want to buff them with your Scar veteran on Carnosaur's command (thanks to the Bloodclaw starhost), and keep your Oldblood nearby so they can reroll on wound rolls of 1. And making sure your Sunblood targets a important unit for rerolls on missed hits (instead of 1's thanks to the Slann's constillation buff). If they charge first, your 3 units of 10 Warriors will have to take the blows (buffed by the Luminark and Skink priest), and during the pile in you put your stack of spear warriors at 2" range behind your warriors, same with your Carnosaur riders.

I'm torn between giving the phoenix stone to my Hurricanum, or my Oldblood on Carnosaur. My old blood will be a beast once the enemy breaks through my front line Warrior units, but the Hurricanum can't benefit from the buffs of the Skink priest and the Slann his area rerolls on saves, so I'm more tending towards giving it to my Hurricanum.

Thoughts?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Great army, not sure how often 2500 will come up for you, but if we have an afternoon to kill some of us will bring 2500-3000 points to throw down. Usually if it will be 3-4 players though we keep 1500-2000. But I think most people are good with a bigger limit.

3. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Yup, I'm probably going to ask others players if they are up for it, and just build this army after we finish our casual army (which is very much identical). Thing is, they hinted that they prefered to play 2000 point armies, because "all the competitions are with 2000 point armies". So it's more likely that club will play such a match, if 2500 point matches will also happen in competetive. They are sorta training for it I guess?

Still, hopefully someone will be up for it once I finish it myself :)

Oh, and who should I give the phoneix stone? Hurricanum or Oldblood on Carnosaur?

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Oldblood on Carno I would say. He's more likely to take the brunt of a lot of the damage.

5. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

True! I'm thinking about that as well :) However, at the earlier stages I"m thinking about putting him behind my 3 units of 10 warriors, attacking with his 2" range. However, once those lines fall, it will fall to the Oldblood on carno to deal with the weakpoints in my formation.

Also, on another note, what is better for this army? Skink priest with a 50% chance to reroll melee saves (already have against range with my Slann his command), or the Starpriest for the extra damage on bites for the 40 stack warriors and Oldblood on carno and a -1 to attacks on one unit?

The Skink priest (if he succeeds) will allow you to reroll saves, as well as run and charge rolls. The Starpriest will allow you to do more damage with those two main units, as well as allow you (if you roll a total of 6 out of 2d6) give one unit a -1 on attack.

So far the Skink priest seems the handier one because of the area buff right?

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Skink priest is probably the better choice here. Starpriest is better if you need to boost your damage output, but as you have a good damage output you shouldn't need the extra help there.

7. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Alright thanks! I also forgot that in order to gain the -1 on hit against the unit buff, you'd also have about a 50% chance. So it kinda evens out in the end.

Bowser likes this.