1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. how to deal with steamtank?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by skink chief, Jul 31, 2015.

1. skink chief
    Kroxigor

skink chief Active Member

As the title reads, what is the best way to counter a steamtank? I just feed it skinks and try to move around it so that my big blocks don't have to deal with it. ( i say deal with it but i mean get absolutely destroyed by it). Is there some cowboy build that has succes vs the steamtank? I did use an ancient steg once, was unlucky with the impact hits with sharpened horns ( think I did 1 wound). The round after that my ancient steg was dead doing nothing else to it. Sorry if there might be already a thread about this, I can't find an easy way of looking for threads.

2. DrMad
    Skink

DrMad Member

Test or die spells (pit of shades, purple sun both have a 50% chance of removing it); spirit leach can get some wounds in; searing doom (especially boosted) will do serious damage and final transformation is a 1 in 6 chance of killing it.
    An oldblood with the pirana blade + potion of strength should do an average 6.5 wounds on it in the turn he drinks the potion and he can still be tooled out with a 1+ rerollable. He would just have to be in a unit of coldones to protect him from the empire artillery...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    skink chief likes this.
  3. skink chief
    Kroxigor

I use light or life mostly. Thats why i was looking for answers elsewhere. I will try the oldblood out.

Thx & cheers :)

4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I don't really know anything about the steam tank, as I have never played against it, but the oldblood woth piranha blade, sounds the safest route to go. D3 wounds might be the best bet, so Stegadons and Carnosaurs, but then agian, that could be fatal against an Empire army.

What type is the Steam tank? Monster? Warmachine? or is it still unique like it says in the :brb:?

If it hasn't changed from the brb, it seems like it has no initiative, wouldn't that mean that it would fail any initiative test like a warmachine would?

skink chief likes this.
  5. DrMad
    Skink

DrMad Member

It's now a chariot, I3, T6, 10 wounds and a 1+ save.

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

OB with piranha blade and potion of streng = S8 armour piercing. Hits on 3+ and wounds on 2+, no armour save and multiply into D3. Will average 6,4 wounds.

Oldblood with great weapon will average 1,6 wounds.

The good thing about the steam tank is that while it have an incredible high amount of wounds it also lose efficiency the more wounds it loses. See if you can't pick off some wounds with magic before you go to town.

Lore of Metal is also glorious against it.

Qupakoco likes this.
  7. skink chief
    Kroxigor

Thx for the replies guys. I'll definatly try the oldblood wilt the piranha blade and STR potion. As for the Metal wizard, I usually play with a big block of saurus and a big block of TG (about 36SW and 26 TG 2500pts matchups). So i like taking life or light. Might go high magic to forget some spells and get some metal spells in the mix.

Cheers.

8. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

armour piercing banner on templeguards, for added powah get off wyssan's wildform on them

9. skink chief
    Kroxigor

Yeah I almost always take the razor standard for my TG. Still not going to run them in a Steamtank though, they will get destroyed. Banner or no Banner.

Cheers

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Half a dozen Kroxigors will pound it into scrap metal. The hard part is getting your Kroxigor to engage the Steamtank since Kroxigors are a subpar matchup with almost everything else the Empire fields.

Note, many players underestimate Kroxigor because they are so unused to seeing them. You might be able to surprise an opponent once using Kroxigor as a can opener.

11. skink chief
    Kroxigor

I did try crox (6 of m) vs 4 demigryphs. I had bad rolls for to hit and they died :(. That can happen ofcourse, bur I don't know if they would do well vs the steamtank. I will try the cowbou build first. But on a second game wull def try it out. It would save me a lot of lord points. :)

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Demigryphs are a bad match for Kroxigor, but the krox should do very well against the steam tank. Cowboys will also do very very nicely!

skink chief likes this.
  13. skink chief
    Kroxigor

Thx for the advise!
    This would also help my army list. Think i can better make use of a lone old blood vs the demigryphs and then the crox vs the steam tank. Think it would be better, but Im trying the cowboy into the steamtank first just to see how that goes.

Cheers

Pinktaco likes this.
  14. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah I think you're on the right path, just watch it so you OB doesn't get cannon sniped. I think a GW OB is better against demigryphs because once they lose combat and don't have a rank they lose steadfast and might just get run down. The same thing cannot happen with the Steam tank and thus using a regular GW OB will result in the OB being locked in combat for quite some time.

skink chief likes this.
  15. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

One way is just to ignore it. Charge a bunch of skink/terradon into it so it basicly cant do anything else than ram them the next turn. So your other units are safe.

skink chief likes this.
  16. skink chief
    Kroxigor

That is what I've been doing and in 3 out of my 4 games that worked like a charm.
    Getting 6 Krox in there to deal with it, might very well be a bad point investment for it, but I want to try something that can handle it.
    The 1 game I didn't manage to stall it the entire game, it wrecked me.
    I just wanted answers and so I will try the krox.
    Thx for the post though I totally understand where you(re coming from ;)

17. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Actually the Empire FAQ has an errata, the steam tank is tougness 10! That old blood would still need 6's to wound it i'm afraid, so not so good.

If its a serious threat and you are loosing games because of it then bite the bullet and change to Metal magic as the sig spell is the best tank killer there is.

Otherwise just avoid it, it will eventually blow itself up anyway ;)

18. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Do you have a link for the errata? :)

19. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Unfortunately they are no longer available on the black liberary, I may have a copy on my laptop, will have a look later and upload it if I do :)

20. skink chief
    Kroxigor

Toughness 10!? Did it get nerfed on other fronts then?