1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial How to sculpt lizardmen: All your base...

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Rikard, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Introduction thingy....

Before you proceed further, have a look at the handy links below.

Having trouble with green stuff, have a look and post something here (and obviously don't ask for a step by step guide for a considerable conversion or scratch build would take far too much time).
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...bring-your-green-stuff-woes-here-teeth.16278/

My blog, this tutorial thread is getting a tad swamped with my posts, so if you're just curious to see what I've done/am doing, this is the place to go.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/builds-log-of-lizardman-now-with-paint.12297/

Awesome art and inspiration thread, looking for some epic lizard art, or have some you wish to share, then have a dive in here.

EDIT: In addition, I've added a secondary twist to this topic, every month I will take suggestions from people for a simple conversion of an existing model that you will attempt, afterwards I will do my best to show you a tut as I do the same conversion.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/awesome-art-and-inspiration-thread.15529/

In this thread you will find.....

Page 2:
    • Bastilodon conversion
    • SCOR conversions
    • Razordon armature.
    Page 3:
    • Razordon research and head.
    Page 4 and 5:
    • Razordon tail and body
    Page 6:
    • Salamander armature and kroxigor head.
    Page 7:
    • Salamander finished, Gor-rok head, scrap heads and basing.
    Page 8:
    • More Gor-rok, stegadon conversion.
    Page 9:
    • Scratch built toad.
    Page 10:
    • Comet of cassandra and objective markers.
    Page 11:
    • Slann scratch build.
    Page 12 - 13:
    • Salamander armature, WIP and research + Gor-rok (second body attempt)
    Page 15:
    • Dark eldar howling banshee WIP, Tyranid hive ship WIP (BFG) + Gor-rok (third body attempt)
    Page 16:
    • Gor-rok WIP (third body).
    • First sculpting video (test).
    Page 17:
    • Second test video.
    • Nakai and Xolotl's Avatar (Teasers, well, at the moment).
    NOTE: I haven't included advice on tools or similar as they are scattered around the pieces, so you'll see them as you look at the tuts.

EDIT:

This thread seems to be getting a lot more popular than I initially thought it would, so with that I'll add in some pointers for anyone who has any thoughts or feelings about this.

1. My sculpting lists change all the time, anything can change it from release of a mini by another company that I was planning to sculpt (and so no longer need to), to my sculpting schedule/life or even loss of enthusiasm changing my plans.

2. Sometimes what would be a nice sculpt simply turns out to not be practical from either basing arrangements, planning, time availability, or changes in my life. I'd sooner complete 3 small sculpts than one large one as I have more to show for the total time.

3. I don't sculpt full time, I don't work in the sculpting industry any more and have no intention of doing so, unless I'm sculpting something for a loved one or family member, I don't deviate from what I want to sculpt, I have a short attention span and sculpting things I can't get interested in is a serious passion killer.

4. Ties in with what I said above, I have a full time job and other commitments in my life and so don't get a huge amount of sculpting time, please be patient with me and don't expect me to sculpt a one off model that you'd like to see when I neither plan to do it, am interested in doing it, don't see as being necessary, or just don't need at all (so asking me to sculpt the Emperor is rather pointless as I don't play space marines and even if I did, I can't use him on the battle field).

I will also be adding in information throughout this thread (which I've already started), list important features, such as evolution, sculpting things based off fluff and rules, sculpting something in order to best represent what would be required on a muscular and skeletal level as well as accuracy (all boiling down to what would work and what would not).

I'll do my best to add in a small glossary here soon too for ease of navigation.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. RipperDerek
    Kroxigor

RipperDerek Active Member

Re: You advise me and I'll sculpt it

For me, by far the most disappointing existing models are the saurus cavalry (especially the lords on cold ones). I would like to see someone convert a cowboy model that does their actual fighting skills justice.

I'd also love to see a conversion for an Ethereal Slann. I really want to do this, but have no idea how to proceed.

For myself, I'm currently working on a conversion using your AoW sculpt riding one of these, but he'll be missing armor:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat640011a&prodId=prod1250238a

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Oh gheese, man...

I'd you to see your version of any of them.

4. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

AWESOME!!

I cannot wait to see your work on this, some work in progress pics would be fantastic!

Good luck
    :D

5. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

I think it would be cool if you gave your Saurus general a flail / Morningstar

6. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Hey rikkard, how about something i have considered but shied away from due to not having the skills yet? Razordons based off of the Thorney Devil lizard? Its a cool spiky critter that holds its tail in the air when threatened (perfect for throwing spines) and when it gets really bad it sprays blood from its eyes!

7. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

+1

also im looking forward to see your Dread Saurian.

but how about chameleon skinks? I dont really like the current models as the once on GW's page looks like elderly gypsy ladies to me :p

on a sidenote:
    I would have said that a model for an "ancient kroxigor" would be neat, but then realised that I already use the old axe-wielding Avatar of War model for that...which you made :p

8. sorrowquin
    Cold One

sorrowquin New Member

I couldn't agree more! Theres just no model that really compares to how awesome our Cowboys are.

Sure, you can convert DE-CO but to be honest, I find the models to small and squishy to actualle be a good mount for our sturdy Saurus. Did nobody else actually notice this?? O.O

9. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

You sir is awesome!

Just got me my paint scheme for my razordons by googlin that amazing animal.

Seen it before in some kinda animal show - amazing little beast.

10. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I agree on the COR. It looks dumb. All our other models are great, but this one stands our. Maybe also make a cowboy on Co with GW? It's a common build.

11. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. :)

Im wondering if I should keep this running here or move it over to the painting and converting section. I agree about the cold ones, but think they would be better suited/moved if you just swap the Dark Elf ones with the current lizardmen ones (I do like the Dark elf ones, but it's a bit long winded to convert them, unless you go for a fine cast approach).

The Razordon idea sounds interesting, but might be a while before I do something like that as I was hoping to focus on units I'll be using for my 1500point list (stegadon, ripperdactyls, salamanders).

I'll get a trail list made, get some feedback and then add to this.

Hopefully RedDevil and the mods won't mind me continuing this thread here rather than the painting/converting gallery (though I don't want to cause any problems).

Lizerd likes this.
  12. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Razordons.
    The spines on them do not look the list like projectiles, and they don't have nearly enough of them.
    Two shooting phases should leave us with smooth naked Razordons.

-Matt

13. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

Also I think a carnosaur with barding would look cool

14. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

No problems keeping the thread here. If you want to move it at a later point, just send me an PM.

I hope you will be posting WIP images as you work on these as well.

Personally I like the idea of a better Razordon model, but I completely understand that more usable models have priority.

The Ripperdactyls is also a model that would do well with a better head, so cant wait to see what magic your able to work on it! :)

15. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Allegedly they were modelled off of piranhas, they look nothing like piranhas! If you can make a piranha ripper it would look sweet!

16. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Also a really huge stegadon would attract a lot of native wildlife to it, they would have ticks and other parasites and therefore attract small birds and pterosaurs as well as tiny lizards which would live in the steps big plates.

17. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Awesome, thank you mate!

Really happy you're ok with it.

As for the ripperdactyls I've found a really good artist on DA who has some awesome designs and to my mind the Anhanguera, the one with the spiky teeth, it fits more to my mind and would be best converted from the current Terradon heads.
    pterosaurs_by_iririv-d3hdbn8.jpg

I'll post the Stegadon artwork later on, probably when I've got through at least one salamander and the ripperdactyls.

Lizerd likes this.
  18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Dimorphodon might be another good candidate.

Dimorphodon.jpg

19. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Sorry for the lack of replies, but hopefully things will now be moving forwards as I've been making some good progression with sculpting blocks (caused by a disorder I've been getting treatment for).

So my first big concern was where to start?
    Might sound silly but it's a huge handicap, if you fail to plan then you plan to fail, so I think a list is the best way to start and I've been looking at a small one, 1500 points.

1500 point list -> http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13807

I've posted a copy here so as not to have too many things crossing over into one thread, but I will also be providing simple and easy tutorials and have something to show you (in the first stage) as a minimum.

Comet of Cassandra marker WIP
    AUT_1915_zpscab5f2da.jpg

20. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Brilliant! :jawdrop:

(Seriously why hasn't anyone else thought of making a comet token ?)

SlanntaClause likes this.