1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. how to you transport you liz?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by kables, Jun 29, 2010.

1. kables
    Saurus

kables New Member

So how do you guys transport your army?

Now before you say "Hey don’t you play like 3 other army's?"
    I do

My 40K chaos have battle foam it moves very good and because its chaos i do not need a HUGE container

My 40k Blood Angles "Like my Chaos" take barley any room and the foam i purchased is grand

My 40k Tau i purchased the GW foam and its MEH. The Fire warriors guns are all poking out and the drones are all exploding in every direction. None of the Crisis suits fit unless i cut out extra holes.

OK fantasy so i got this item for my LIZ.
    http://battlefoam.com/catalog.php?item=105&catid=8&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D8

Yes i know it says vamp count but i the time i purchased it it said LIZ, tomb kings, Vamp.

As you can tell it looks like skinks can fit in the top 1inch by 1 inch but skinks are 1 inch by 1 1/2 if not 2 inches "Skinks need the room because they are awesome"

The regular troop slots in the middle only allow about 10 Saurus or TG's due to our spikes and HUGE Fing weapons.

i was just curious on how any of you Gentlemen / Ladies protect the SLAAN and his Pool.

FYI i have now started to just put all my skinks in a plastic bag. It seems they don’t like the foam and the battle damage from it is about the same as a plastic zip lock bag anyways.

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I have tried the plastic bag method. I did not like where the battle damage was heading using those. I am currently trying a hard plastic box that has tiers on it. I have put sheet magnets on the bottom of the box as well as the skinks. I am hoping that this will keep the battle damage to a minimum and allow for safe transport. It seems to be working so far. I have only tested it with the skinks so far.

Someone that plays at the hobby store I go to uses glad ware (the cheap tupperware ripoffs) that sandwich meat comes in. This seems to work well also.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

4. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

I have a very white trash army transport system. I juse a budweiser case ad fill it with a craft box lined with foam as well as various boxes that use plastic Wal-Mart sacks as padding. I have one GW case, but it doens't work as wel.

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That is an awesome transporting method. I would love to see a picture of that. So, if you have a slann in there, does that make it a budweiser frog?

6. bradsul
    Skink

bradsul New Member

I use the standard GW foam trays for infantry of most types (they seem to work just fine for my TK, Dwarfs and Lizzies). For larger models (stegadon, carnosaur, etc) I make custom cases out of upholstery foam. It's dirt cheap and simple to work with and the density is sufficient for stacking.

7. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

I will try and snap a pic.

8. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

Bubble wrap and plastic containers. There is some breakage during transport, but usually just minimal.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Here is an old thread on the same topic, it has what I use.

10. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

I magnetize everything and carry the figures already stuck to their movement trays. Then I carry the movement trays in plastic Christmas ornament boxes. Skirmishers are also magnetized for transport.

This makes it quick and easy to set up and play (I hate waiting half and hour to get all my figures on the table). I've also found that Lizardmen have a lot of pointy bits that get caught in foam.

11. boreas
    Saurus

boreas New Member

I've found that plastic egg containers are rather good to transport Fantasy stuff. The real best, though, is magnetizing you base as previously noted (gale Force 9 has cool stuff). After that, you can use any toolbox or battalion boxes at the bottom of which you glue cheap metal plates. You'll find those in the "electrical" department of hardware stores like Home Depot.

Phil

12. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Pretty much still the same for me too, although I did put all my foam in an ordinary travelling bag. It's more convenient, has straps that's purrfect for putting things like books and my carrying plate-thing beneath. It also has wheels. o_O

Cheers!

13. LuitpoldFrohlich
    Jungle Swarm

LuitpoldFrohlich New Member

I do the reverse: Metal bases from http://www.wargameaccessories.com/ with magnetic sheets on movement trays and a tackle boxor tool box.

I've been warned that magnets lose their strength over time. Replacing a few movement tray and carrying case magnets is a lot less work intensive than replacing dozens attached to minis. It eliminates the chance of damaging the figs as well.

Also, the weight of the metal bases helps keep top heavy models like my standard bearers upright.

14. boreas
    Saurus

boreas New Member

Oooooohhhh! I love those!!! I'll try them!

Phil

15. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Sheet magnets can tend to lose their strength over time, that is why most people will use rare earth magnets instead.

16. LuitpoldFrohlich
    Jungle Swarm

LuitpoldFrohlich New Member

Rare earth magnets will work, as well. I also play Warmaster, though, and the rare earth magnets don't cut it there - too thick. For WM, I have swapped out the GW-issue plastic 40mm x 20mm bases for metal ones, so I've already got my cases set up with magnetic sheets.

Either way, magnetizing the minis or the case seems the most secure way to transport one's troops.

17. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member