1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate imaginary numbers.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deathfrisbee2000, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

I'm sitting in math, and my professor is talking about i. My head is .2 seconds away from exploding...

--DF2K

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah... I've been through that stuff. The basic stuff gets easy, but beyond that.. Well, it is one of the main reasons I am a chemist now not a physicist. :D

Wait until you get to imaginary matrices, manipulating Schrodinger's equation, and (if you take that path) quantum physics.
    :mad:
    /insert your head on the left.

3. Little Wolf
    Saurus

Little Wolf New Member

But they're so useful :)

4. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

As a middle-school teacher of Social Studies that I plan to be, I doubt I'll need that annoying little i. I understand how it works and can deal with it fine, my head just feels it'll explode if I think about it too often.

My teacher told us it was actually used though, for things like rocket-fuel. So if anyone tries to tell me this stuff "isn't rocket-science," I get to beat them up for lying.

--DF2K

5. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Imaginary numbers (or complex numbers) have a rather unfortunate name. They're no more imaginary than the numbers you've been dealing with before, in that, they're simply a mental abstraction created to solve certain problems (there is no physical entity that "is" the number one, for example - unless you live on Sesame street). For example, negative numbers arose from a need to solve the equation

x + 1 = 0

Complex numbers arise from the desire to give a meaningful solution to

x^2 + 1 = 0

You can think of them as ordered pairs of real numbers, or points on a plain, with their own set of arithmetic, if it makes you feel any better. They can get a bit hairy, but then so can analysis of the reals. Just stick with it and you'll be fine.

6. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

2 of my closest friends study Physics...
    put those 2 together, and you get all these kinds of ...well..numbers!

I'm just a simple Law student, coming here to find some rest from all those physics.
    And now, behold! Even you guys start! :p
    Great...now I have nowwhere else to go. Bah!

;)

The Hunted

7. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

I like basic variables. x, y, a are my friends. Maybe because I'm an English minor so I prefer letters to numbers.

--DF2K

8. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

On the subject of math, here is an image that explains exactly how much sense mathematics makes to me.
    Link

On a more serious level. I haven't really gotten to the level where you use imaginary numbers yet. I probably will soon enough though, that level of math is obligatory to take for my line of education if I'm right so, ye. Soon enough I can share your pain! :D

Cheers!

9. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Great image :p

That's as clear as it gets!

On a more serious note, what do you study (If I may ask o_O, unless you would want to remain absolutely anonymous ;))

The Hunted

10. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

I'm studying Elementary Education with a minor in History. I'm planning on going in as a Social Studies teacher. Preferably in a middle school (grades 6-8 for those not familiar with the system), but if I can't get a job there, then an elementary school (K-5), as they really want male teachers in that field.

Right now, I'm taking 12 credits in night classes and working full time as a teaching aide in the Special Ed department at a local high school (9-12). Talk about stress, but the job definitely will help me with my chosen field.

--DF2K

11. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Hm, not too shabby ;)

I can understand that that is quite stressfull indeed, but you seem to have set your target and work towards it. So you always have that light at the end of the tunnel :). Looking good!

The Hunted

12. Aprilsaurus
    Skink

Aprilsaurus New Member

I wanted to teach high school math, but then I realized that all of my students would hate me. SO, I switched to biology education. Yay Science! As for imaginary numbers, cram for the exams then forget it. I never saw 'i' again. Hopefully, you won't either.

13. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

No, but I dread waking up in the middle of the night screaming. Luckily we've moved on and it doesn't make my ears bleed anymore.

--DF2K