1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I is honourable!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by strewart, Nov 20, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well, today marked the completion of the last piece of work I had to do for my Honours year. I printed and bound my thesis and handed that up on wednesday at a cool 60 pages, and printed and laminated my poster today which is due on monday. Big relief! All I have left is a viva panel (like an interview) on thursday next week and I am 100% done, but for now... Since all my work is finished, party time!

Its been a looong difficult and stressful year. You wouldn't be able to tell based on how much I posted here would you. :p This place has certainly given me a few laughs and helped cheer me up at times during the year, so thanks guys. Looking forward to a long and relaxing summer.

2. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Hey, and a big congrats from all of us here Im sure!

Now with the whole "Edjamacashun" thing sorted you'll have time for the important stuff... ie. furthering the old ones plans for global domination and interstellar harmony! lol

again, well done! hopefully it'll all pay off for you!

3. strewart
    OldBlood

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to an action packed summer that I will hopefully hardly remember. :p

Edumacation may not be completely over though... I have applied to do a PhD, mostly becuase I don't want a real job and I will finally get paid to study. Should find out mid-december if I get it. Then I will be posting in here in 3 years as a doctor, which will be an awesome pickup line. :) Much better than my current one haha.

4. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Ya, I can see "Hey there, wanna play with the doctor?" working a bit better than "Hey there, I'm a champion."

Hehe... Good luck with your PhD-thingy. :D

Cheers!

5. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

nice one Steve, and thanks for all you do for the site :)

6. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Congrats, man!

7. Uncle Grog
    Skink

Uncle Grog New Member

Congratulations and good luck on your future endeavors, I am sure you will do well.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Heh heh, nah my current one is more like 'Wow... Did you just fall from heaven? ....... Coz it looks like you landed on your face!' The doctor line might be a bit more effective though. :p

Cheers guys. I had almost forgotten what a hangover felt like. Good to have a weekend again. :)

9. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

lol... you have summer when it's winter here... :D

10. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Yep, christmas in 30+ degree heat, gotta love being an Aussie! lol

If you don't mind me asking, where are you based Strewart? Im near Brisbane!

11. strewart
    OldBlood

I am in Adelaide.

I might be considering applying at a Brisbane uni for my PhD, but I'm not sure yet. Will think about it when I get my results, this friday.. Looking forward to seeing how I go.

12. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

Lucky for you. However, I like snow, and will therefore forever remain in the icy land of canada :p (atleast....5 months of the year is cold and like 2 are icy where I live :p)

13. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow, viva on thursday went great and I didn't leave the city until stumbling home at 4am thursday night, friday night went much the same way had just got over the hangover when I started drinking again, now its saturday afternoon and I have a couple of hours to recover before starting again. 2 months of this! Sweet.

I got my results, Class 2A. The equivelant of a distinction. Yeah thats basically what I was expecting, class 1 would have been nice but my topics at the start of the year dragged me down. I'm happy with it.

Edit: Oh yeah, unfortunately most of you will not know who this is but I'm pretty excited about it. On thursday night I met Michael O'Loughlin! He is a star of AFL football who played for the Sydney Swans for the last 10-15 years. I got a photo with him! :D (My hair is pretty crazy by 3am after 100 bucks worth of beer, cocktails, shots and spirit mixers :p)

27-11-09_0334.jpg

14. The Lybithian
    Chameleon Skink

The Lybithian New Member

30+ degree heat is winter for me! I'm a Yank and in Arizona. 120+ degree summers plz.

15. strewart
    OldBlood

You are, of course, talking about fahrenheit. Here in Australia we have developed to the more modern and widely recognised celcius system, of course our summers reach around 120F as well and we have heat waves in that range for weeks at a time with bushfires everywhere.

16. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

Ya. I dont know why farenheit is still used, canada uses celsius and the metric system, but america seems to defy them....

17. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

Fahrenheit for the WIN! Celsius degrees are too far apart!!! :meh:

18. speedygeko
    Cold One

speedygeko New Member

celcius is best did you know that the point that the meet is -40 :artist:

geko

19. strewart
    OldBlood

I think I shall update this thread.

After receiving 3 PhD scholarship offers, I settled on sticking with the uni I did my undergrad at. I am now sitting in my office (same one as last year) at a new desk, a new computer will be arriving later this week which is good since the current one is crap.

I am doing a PhD in explosives! Mining explosives, trying to improve their efficiency with nanomaterials. I will get to do explosive testing, which is cool. It has really good industry links for future career and such, which is cool. One of the companies we are working with has developed a new way to produce carbon nanotubes, they want to set up facilities at the uni. I will basically be setting it up and running it, which is very cool. I have my first business trip in 2 weeks, hopefully the first of many. Oh and I no longer have to pay any uni fees, the faculty funds it, and I'm getting a tax free income! Now all I need to do is get my gf to agree to me having a few pet lesbians in my office to do my bidding and life will be truly perfect. :p

20. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Sounds like everything has sorted itself out now strewart, good on ya dude!