1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I painted a skink

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, Apr 8, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well, I am messing around with a few schemes and seeing what happens. This skink actually took a fair bit of work considering it will be 1 of 30-40 and I won't care if it dies. I am working on another one that uses a faster process, but it isn't finished yet ironically enough. And I have ordered some washes to give them a try. But here is my first test model. Same kind of scheme will extend to saurus and temple guard. What do you think?

trialskink.jpg

PS, you are looking at the skin of the skink only. The weapons and mouth aren't done yet, though the eyes are. This is the first model where I put extended detail into the eye, and admitedly missed with the right eye a little bit but it is close enough for a skink.

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

He looks good, though he's very shiney

3. LizardPadre
    Skink

LizardPadre New Member

He does look very good. And as he's aquatic, which he is of course (so why I said that I don't know) then shiny is good too. If a skink can't look a bit soggy then I don't know who can!

4. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Hey that is really good. I'm digging the painting, although I'm not a fan of the colours (I always like there to be some green on my lizards! :p)

But colour is just a personal thing so it's neither here nor there, but the painting looks great I think

5. kkboy
    Skink

kkboy Member

Totally love the scales, well done!

6. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

That looks really good! If you're worried about the shininess, then some matte finish will be your friend. Even if it's really shiny now, it'll dull the gloss down quite a bit. Then once it's dry you can use the gloss varnish on the eyes and mouth to make them look shiny. Some people also use gloss varnish on metal, but I think it makes it look less like metal and more like metallic plastic, so a semi-gloss spray varnish is best for that. Keep up the good work!

7. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

i like the colour scheme, very sharp contrast. very nicely painted by the way.
    a full unit will look awesome when finished.

are you gonna do the same scheme for your saurus, or are they gonna be a different colour combo?

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Hmm I'm not too worried about the shininess, since as mentioned he is aquatic, beyond that (real) lizards often tend to have shiny skin. I think a bit of it is the bright light I had on him too, the scales don't realy have any ink on them and the blue areas got a bit of ice blue after the ink.

Cheers for the comments so far. :D

9. iamtired14
    Skink

iamtired14 New Member

ILL!!!!! thats way better than mine...

10. Benman
    Skink

Benman New Member

It looks good but to really get the 'finished' look you should finish the base and especially the base edges. Base edges tend to really finish your model. Take a good color and it looks great, take the wrong color and it totally takes down the colorscheme. The best effect is when you take a different color for the base edges than the main color of the base itself.
    But nothing said about the colors, i like'm because i like some bright colors on lizzies. :meh:

Examples:
    sob057.jpg
    sisters_011a.jpg

11. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Didn't think you liked blue lizard strewart ;)
    Anyway, nice job on thouse scales blending in. Is it 4 layers?

12. strewart
    OldBlood

I do not like GW ones, but these have orange to make them different. :p I am actually experimenting with 'volcanic' ones, same style orange scales but black bodies. Having trouble highlighting the black though, so I will probably stick with blue. Will post pics when I have some.

The scales are actually 5 layers; scab red, blood red, mechrite (?) orange, half orange/yellow and finally straight yellow, plus a layer of ink/wash half way through to deepen the gaps between the scales. He actually looks better in real life than in the pic, usually mine turn out the other way around with photography looking better.

13. strewart
    OldBlood

As I suggested, here are a couple of trial black skinks. The one on the left is actually highlighted with scab red just as an experiment, but it didn't turn out that good. I haven't done much with his scales either, just a bit of wash. What do you think?

blackskinks.jpg