1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Iggy Koopa's finishing touches... (Updated 1/10).

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Iggy Koopa, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Ok,

So I finally got back to painting and converting and after coming up with a new list, I realized I needed to make some chameleon skinks. So today, I got to cutting up some spare skinks and made them into chameleon skinks and finished converting my OB on Carnosaur. I put the Chakax head onto my OB and added some back banners as well as some vines made out of green stuff that is along the base and the trunk of the tree (pics below). I also got the green stuff portion of the Chameleon skinks done so I thought I'd post what I have so far (since I'm at a breaking point) and then take some pics when I have them completed (which should be today, sans bases). So I'll hopefully have daily updates on my painting blog here since I'm just finishing up my LM army. I need to add a few salamanders and then it's just touching up and picking out details so stay tuned. I'll post every chance that I get. For now, as promised, here's what I got completed this morning... More to come!

Attached Files:

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Re: Iggy Koopa's finishing touches...

Carnie is looking pretty good Iggy. :D

3. Daneish
    Cold One

Daneish New Member

I really like the carny, esp the base, makes it look awesome

4. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

Love the basing on the carny as well as your painting and your conversions on the skinks the only suggestion would be to have eye balls
    that way you can paint the eyes pointing in different directions giving the full camillon feeling I am going to steal your reeds so would you be so kind as to tell me how they were done.
    redeyefrog

5. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

@ all: Thanks for the compliments on the carnosaur. I like the way the model turned out overall, he's one of my favorites in the army.

@ redeyefrog: I just used paper clips and modeled green stuff around them. It's a quick fix and is very simple. Let me know if you need more than that.

Iggy Koopa

6. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

So I finally got some time to finish up my first unit of chameleon skinks.... I have the rest of the week off until next Tuesday so I plan on getting some painting done. The Carnosaur is about done as well, just need some finishing touches and I'll post the changes on that one as well. After that, I'm going to be touching up some of my saurus warriors and making some changes to the slann. But for now, here's the finished unit of chameleon skinks complete with the movement tray. I added two slabs to fill in the empty spots to represent the 1" that's supposed to be between skirmishers. They can be removed for when the unit gets into combat (at which point the plan will have gone wrong...) Also, I added just a bit of the water effect on the movement tray to blend into the overall theme of my army. (In case you haven't seen my full army every base has water on it.) I liked the cheap way of making slab bases (thanks redeyefrog!) and figured the chameleons would be on it since it wouldn't make sense for the chameleons to be submerged in water... Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

7. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Re: Iggy Koopa's finishing touches... (Updated 12/27).

Woke up this morning and started working on my BSB... finished up the banner portion, now to work on the Scar-Vet... More pics coming soon... Enjoy!

Attached Files:

8. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Man, I gotta say, real nice work on both the chameleons and the BSB!!!! The only thing I slightly dislike about the chameleons is their eyes. They are too dark for my taste. Maybe make the pupil another color?

9. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

@SeBm: I gotta agree... I really don't like the way the conversion came out. I was going for a different effect when I set out to do it but alas, it didn't come out the way I had intended. I'll try doing something different with the eyes to make it look a little bit different. Thanks for the feedback.

Iggy

10. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Finished the BSB earlier today, here's some pics of him as well as him with a finished unit of Saurus Warriors. On to some touch ups to another Saurus warrior unit and then my slann mage priest. Enjoy!

394311176.jpg

394311177.jpg

394311178.jpg

394311179.jpg

With the unit of Saurus Warriors:

Attached Files:

11. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Re: Iggy Koopa's finishing touches... (Updated 12/29).

Wow he looks brilliant, amazing looking unit mate!

12. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

That's one really cool looking Saurus Warriors unit!!! I must say I'm really impressed with the BSB and the unit as a whole. Those paw-print on the musician's instrument are just so nice!!! If you have more stuff painted, hit us up with more pictures!

13. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

Brilliant work Iggy including your base filler you definetly have a unit to be proud of Kudos
    Redeyefrog

14. Kaax Taat
    Saurus

Kaax Taat New Member

I really like your work. The color choices are awesome.

I have a couple of questions regarding your Skink/Chameleon conversions.
    1. Did you choose skinks with their crests tucked or did you just cut/file them down?
    2. Have you done anymore work on them? I would enjoy seeing updated photos as you continue.
    3. Any thing you would change next time?

Thanks,
    Kaax Taat

15. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Sorry, this is gonna be a repost from the "Unit Fillers" thread that is open in the Painting & Converting section of this forum. I posted some recent updates on my unit filler that I created for one of my units of spear Saurus. Below are the pics of it. I think it turned out well and plan to do another for my HW Saurus unit. More to come.

394432726.jpg

394432727.jpg

394432732.jpg

394432733.jpg

394432736.jpg

394432737.jpg

16. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Hey Kaax Taat,

1. I shaved off the crest that each of the skinks have and then just filed it down until it was smooth.
    2. I haven't done any more work on these guys but I do plan on adding another unit, so I'll post pics when they are complete.
    3. I am pleased with the results of these simple yet effective conversions. I don't think there's anything I would change.

I have a blog that follows my painting on another site so I'm having to double post each time I do something. That's the reason I'm posting my unit filler again. Keep checking back!
    As for the other stuff:

@redeyefrog: Thanks for the compliment! I also "borrowed" your idea about painting the underbelly of the Saurus. I really like that idea and makes the models stand out more. I will do the same to my unit of Spear Saurus.

17. Reiks
    Skink

Reiks New Member

Really good work, I love the look of the finished unit! And the filler is ace as well, very dynamic looking. Your painting style is very nice, very crisp. I'll be watching this one!

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Great looking unit of Saurus Iggy. :D

19. Total AnOrky
    Skink

Total AnOrky New Member

I really like this scheme. Please post up more updates.