1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is contrast paint unnecessary?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by samheim, Jan 31, 2020.

1. samheim
    Ripperdactil

samheim Well-Known Member

I woke up today and really wanted to try using contrast paint. I really liked the idea of being able to paint so fast.

The problem was I didn't have a spare £100 lying around to buy the primer and get a selection of colours.

So I looked around and found this technique of painting with glazes instead.

I actually only use my airbrush to paint on the zenithul highlights.

I use a brush to paint on the glazes from my existing paints.

I have to say I got some really amazing results, I was really impressed with. Using the ultra thin paint to paint over the highlighted model worked astoundingly well.

I was trying to use the old fashioned GW system before, where you base coat + wash + highlight.

What I found out, is that, that way has a lot of steps and seems to take forever. Also the paint job kind of looks to thick and covered with paint.

If you want to try something similar to Contrast paint, but don't have money to burn, try giving this glazing method a go.

When I compare the gunked up paint job vs the super sharp looking glaze job,

Put it this way, its so good, all my stormcast eternals have been cast into a purple lake of mentholated spirits.

Carnikang likes this.
  2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Cool. Whatever style that works for you is good. There's not just one way to paint.

Plus, this topic should probably be posted in the painting section.

LizardWizard and Carnikang like this.
  3. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

Can't use an airbrush sadly because of a skin condition, so I am stuck with regular painting. Contrast paints are amazing, especially for organic forms. Currently I am giving GW flak for a lot of things, but credit where credit is due, Contrast is great.

On a sidenote, if your painted model looks thickly painted using the traditional method, you did not water down your paints enough. Even though Duncan doesn't work at GW anymore, always remember: TWO THIN COATS (TM).

4. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

don't buy a selection of colors to start. build it up slower. for now, decide the base color of the models you want to paint, and only buy the primer and that base. then use traditional method to highlight and accent afterwards.

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

QFT.
    If you like a style and it works, more power to you!
    On topic, I also remember a video along the lines of "you shouldn't be ashamed of your painting" which was very nice, but i dont recall it.

you're right.
    annnnd… it shall be done.

6. samheim
    Ripperdactil

That's true I was applying my paint to thick. Not always, but on some miniatures I was. The worst one's were my stormcast.

I think its because I used spray can primer, then a large brush to base them gold. I changed my mind later and airbrushed them blue.

It all added up. With the glazing technique it really made me realise how thin the paints need to be. I was thinning before, but just not enough.

Also the glazing does not require you use an airbrush. I don't use airbrush. Only for priming, but you can prime by hand as well.

Contrast paints are obviously good. Because they take a technique that the pro painters were using for a long time, and simplify it so everyone can use it.

They supply the right colour primer, and they work out the colours that look the best over them, then make the paint so it rolls into the right places.

The glazing technique is very similar. But imo a lot more powerful!

You prime your model, then you apply a glaze. You can then paint the raised areas white, and glaze them again, and darken the glaze for the recesses.

Its very fast to do, and the results are, imo amazing. Compared to how much time and effort I had to put in before, for ultimately disappointing results.

That said, if I was starting off painting again, I would definitely think its better to start the contrast way. If for no other reason, when you get better and want to repaint your models again, you can just prime over them and start again, if you went the contrast route.

If you went for the regulard method, you would have to strip them, unless you were one of the 1 in 10,000 people who did actually thin their paints to the right consistency to start with

7. samheim
    Ripperdactil

IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0075.JPG

This is how I painted my Stormcast before. Like I said they had a few layers of paint on them. I admit I was going in way to thick.
    Another thing was it took ages and ages to do each one. The cloaks took ages. Had to keep highlighting them and washing them.

They look crap as well. To be fair if someone said, these look like they were painted by someone wielding a brush, inbetween his ass cheeks. I would have to say, that would be a fair criticism.

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

The new glazing technique I learned yesterday!

Super easy, zero hard work. Very fun to paint them. Obviously not finished yet, but this time it's going to be so easy to batch paint them altogether.

The Nighthaunt, I didn't even strip the paint from. I just sprayed over him with an army painter ash gray and started again. I didn't feel like I really needed to strip the paint, because the robes can take a lot of paint with out it showing up to much. And the Airbrush layer and glazes are super thin anyway.

The stormcast I have to strip. I don't like striping, but it was worth it this time.

I don't know about getting models golden demon ready, but if you want to paint a lot of minitures really fast, that look pretty good, this is a good way imo.

Would not go back to regular way of painting.

8. brainxigor
    Chameleon Skink

brainxigor Well-Known Member

I would not say that Contrast Paints are unnecessary, in my opinion no paint really is unnecessary. They are all a different tool to use in your painting process if you want to.

Personally I work with a lot of glazing, like in the Hobby Cheating videos and I enjoy that painting process a lot.
    For that kind of technique thinned down Contrast Paints are really great, they are kind of a super wash / glaze.
    If you combine that with good underpainting, from an Airbrush for example, you have most of your work done for you by the paints.

They are not a replacement for proper painting techniques, if you want to learn how to paint like the "pros" that is, but they are a nice tool you can add to your toolbox.

But the thing that Contrast Paints do, which is imho the most important thing, they give an easy entry into the painting part of the hobby. Even total newbies can get really great results, minis you can be proud of and in the end it keeps them painting!

LizardWizard and samheim like this.
  9. PadawanNinja
    Saurus

PadawanNinja Active Member

Instead of spending that much cash for paints, have you looked at this?

Curious what the peanut gallery has to say about this idea. Thinking of trying it out on my burgeoning army.

LizardWizard and samheim like this.
  10. samheim
    Ripperdactil

I don't think its a simple as that. I think the commercial paints like contrast or washes, have a lot that go into them to make them really nice to work with.

That said, I would never buy them! it takes all the fun out of painting.

I buy matte medium and mix up all my own washes and put them into empty pots, I then try to remember how I mixed them.

But for me its not super important if everything is exactly perfect.

The main reason to buy pre made paints, is you can then buy that colour over and over again and it will always be the same.

Mixing paint is hit and miss, but for someone who is still an up and coming painter like myself, its essential to learn how to mix colours and also it saves a lot of money, not having to buy 300 paints.

If your painting at a super high level, then it becomes important to have the exact colours etc, but if your just trying to get to a table top standard, its probably not a big deal.

I think the main reason, why so many people really like contrast paint, is that it gets people use to working with very thin paints. A lot of people who hobby don't really like painting that much, and probably a lot of them go straight from the pot. Or they are unsure how to thin the paints properly.

I was one of those people.

To someone with no knowledge contrast paint will give them some results they would have no idea to get otherwise.

To someone who knows how to paint really well, they can just use a dozen or so paints, and mix them together or with water or additives to achieve amazing results.

That said, a pro painter would not paint like that probably and make their life easy, by choosing the right tool for the job.

And contrast paints are a nice additional tool to combine with all the other techniques as well.

The main reason I am not all for them is the cost. £5 a pot, and then £3 for a normal citadel paint. And the pots are crap and tiny. I am in the process of moving all over to Army Painter. Cheap + lots of paint, as long as you shake them well.

Also for ultimate speed consider buying a cheap airbrush kit. They only cost £30. And they are very fast, and open up a whole load of new techniques.

If you buy the primer and say 5 contrast paints, you could instead buy an air brush some regular paints and some thinner. Also the airbrush when done right, you use very little paint compared to brush.

And I hear the contrast paints get used up very quickly. Don't know how true that is though.

11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I find I am always mixing paints. Having a few standard base colors helps a lot, but I also tend to put, black, white, blue, red, yellow and a nice umber or sienna on my palette and mix from there. That way i can tint, shade, and tone any color I want for highlights, shadows, ect.

I am by no means a master painter, but learning the basics of color theory goes a long way. And you don't need to own 200+ paints to get good results.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Carnikang like this.