1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Witcher Netflix show good for people who never played Witcher?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I don't like to have more than one streaming service at a time, and I have watched everything I was interested in Disney+ and I cancelled my account which expires in three days. I am weighing whether I want to go to Hulu or Netflix.

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

A friend of mine watched the Witcher (and has played the games) and says that the show is most likely better if you don't know the books or games.

3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I have played The Wtcher 1 and 2 and read a couple books. I really enjoyed the show.

That being said, I never expect the mini-series or movies to match the original content. I always go into them viewing the origin content as the inspiration. If I am being honest, I have no interested in just seeing the same story told threw a new medium anyways. I want it to feel the same, but diverge. The motifs, aesthetics, and world feel right.

4. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

If you haven't played the games the show might be even better for you since you won't be annoyed by some of the character's appearance. Moreover the series starts in the same moment as the books (games take place after the books) hence you won't miss anything. Only issue is that if you didn't read the books the plot might be slightly hard to follow as the creators of the series decided to launch 3 different timelines at the same time, used exactly the same actors with no characterization change and literally no post processing difference like HBO did with GoT. I swear I had to refresh the plot from the books/wikis a few times during watching the series, because something didn't fit.

Ultimate tip about Netflix. Its easy to cancel so you can just buy a month, cancel immediately, watch the Witcher and forget about the service.

5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

My wife who hasn't read the books or played the games had no trouble following the multiple timeline threads.Maybe it is just because my wife and I both read voraciously.

6. Lium
    Saurus

Lium Active Member

I've never played the games or read the books, though I've watched some videos of Witcher 3. The series is pretty damn good but only when Geralt and Jaskier are on screen, otherwise it's often mediocre to poor at best. I ended up skipping a fair amount of the other plotlines out of boredom.

7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Haven't watched it, but I did see this:

[​IMG]

LizardWizard likes this.