1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Joshua's Paint Blog - Back from the dead!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Joshua Horchler, May 8, 2018.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

They look really natural, I like the jaw and crest it helps frame the model.

LizardWizard and Joshua Horchler like this.
  2. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

Your Skinks look fantastic! Not many people put that much time into Skinks! Bravo!

LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

I'm almost finished with 20 out of 120.... I'm going to start speeding things up and use some more dry brushing. I would go crazy painting 100 more this way haha.

I think if I get a colored spray, do some dry/over brushing and do less highlighting of the scales it will speed up a ton.

4. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Well, while it WILL speed things up, in the end, it really needs to make you happy. If it's going to bug you every time that you look at them and then the ones you have here, about the difference, then I'd say take a little longer with them and do this same quality. Just think how awesome 120 of those little Skinkers would look on a table top!

I have a ton of these littles to do as well. I just may try your quality method and get them done right as well!

If you're looking for a colored Primer, I'd definitely go Army Painter. AP's primer has a smoother coating (in my experience) than GW's primers. It also has a better spray that covers the model much better.

And as for the difference between your regular Skinkers and the Skinkaquins, I like that they aren't exactly the same! I view it as a designation of rank. Even in the military, not ALL of the soldiers wear the exact same uniforms! Lol!

5. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Yeah you are right about the quality part. Maybe I will just find a way to cut a few corners on my current method and find a happy medium. Thanks for the opinion on the AP primer. Before I dish out the cash I wanted to hear from someone who used them.

My only concern is how difficult it is to prime during the summer. I have tried priming on a humid day and it was disastrous.... I live on the east coast and right now the weather is terrible for priming... It's really annoying.

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  6. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Hmmm. I live in Mississippi, where the humidity can get quite nasty, and I've never had a problem with it. But then, I have a covered carport with a work table to spray on, so it also depends on your set up. I wouldn't leave them to bake in the sun though. Let them dry in a covered location.

7. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Hmm, that's odd. Maybe it is my one spray can and not the weather? It came out and splattered the model in little "clumps of paint" I thought it was the weather.

Lizerd likes this.
  8. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

It is a brand new White primer from AP... I shook it for 5 minutes before using it. I will have to test it out more.

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  9. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

It could be the distance you are spraying at. If you get too far away from the model, the paint can literally start to dry in the air (it's that fine) before it hits the model and give that splattered appearance. On the flip side, if you get too close, it can glob up on the model. I'd recommend trying out varying distances, when spraying.

10. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I do have an irrational fear of over priming and filling in the small details, so that could be it. I will have to test out different lengths. Maybe I need to get a little closer with AP primers than my generic stuff.

LizardWizard likes this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

That sound like the nozzle is not allowing the paint out in a constant fan, we use aerosols at work for touching up site work and we had a period where the nozzles were faulty, If you have another spray can try swapping the nozzle over.

12. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Thank you all! I will try both of these things and see how it goes.

13. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

Oh man, I love those Skinks!!! Sallies look awesome too!

Joshua Horchler and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I'm back! After a short break from the hobby I have returned. Life has keep me busy, new job, first house and I just celebrated my 1st year anniversary. Life has been good! I hope all is well with you!

I've come back to the hobby and I have a new toy :) :) :) I finally, after years of consideration, bought myself an airbrush and I've been playing. Take a look at my practice and just some of my random painting!! CC please. It's good to be back!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    LizardWizard, Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.
  15. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

This is the first thing I've ever airbrushed 20190101_143006.jpg 20190408_215956.jpg 20190101_143103.jpg

Lizerd, LizardWizard, Aginor and 3 others like this.
  16. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I then just kept painting random models I had laying around to practice. The humans are from Wissenland. They are sort of my long term project and this little group was a test group. Their one arm isnt painted beacuse they will be holding a red and black shield.

20190408_214637.jpg

20190408_214443.jpg 20190408_215619.jpg 20190408_215646.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  17. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

And then I started to get better!! I really enjoy using the airbrush and learning new things everytime I turn it on. It's amazing what you can do with a few layers and a wash!

20190408_215757.jpg 20190408_214015.jpg 20190408_215728.jpg 20190408_215709.jpg

Lizerd, LizardWizard, Aginor and 3 others like this.
  18. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

And finally what people care about, I started to finish painting my Seraphon army, using my airbrush to lay down some base colors: I'm quite proud of my progress and what I was able to do on the Skinks. They are so small they really tested my limits!

20190408_215834.jpg 20190408_215816.jpg

20190408_215853.jpg

Lizerd, Aginor, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  19. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I've also entered into the realm of conversion for the first time. Nothing fancy, but they will do! Looking forward to going in with some washes and detail work!

20190408_213752.jpg 20190408_213801.jpg 20190408_213810.jpg

20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Glad your back and really happy that you have taken the plunge with the airbrush, it speeds the hobby up no end.

What airbrush did you get?