1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Just Starting and Future Expansion

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by benclark, Nov 9, 2016.

1. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

I used to play Warhammer and 40K along with pretty well every other GW game back in the day but left over a decade ago before emigrating 6 years ago when I left my models behind for my cousin. Now my LGS is holding a Getting Started in Age of Sigmar Tournament, where the idea is you buy a Start Collecting! box, paint it between now and February 5th and then have a tournament against all the other competitors, both games and painting competition (best unit, leader, etc.) and afterwards continue expanding armies and make Warhammer a regular feature of my LGS's events.

To that end I have decided my base army composition will be -

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
    Saurus Knights (8) armed with Celestite Lances
    Saurus Warriors (12) armed with Celestite Spears

now one of those Knights will be kitbashed with the spare parts to make a Scar-Veteran on Cold One but for the tournament we have to use the box as it comes.

After the tournament my current plan is to get a second box, because I'm sorry that value can't be beaten, a Carnosaur model with free Warriors and Knights, this will lead to the following -

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - 320pts
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur armed with Celestite War-spear - 260pts
    Troglodon* - 200pts
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One - 100pts
    Saurus Knights (15 in 3 units of 5) armed with Celestite Lances - 360pts
    Saurus Warriors (24) armed with Celestite Spears - 300pts
    Firelance Starhost - 60pts
    Total - 1600pts

* - Troglodon model coming from this conversion, will just need to obtain one of the correct 120×92mm Oval bases, not having the box on me yet I have no idea how big the parts are but I'm guessing I will probably just be using the Head and Sail as I want to keep it on it's standard legal base size as there should be fewer if any tournament legal issues that way since it will be clear what it is and not offer any benefits or drawbacks by having a different base. The second Skink model I may try to convert to a Priest but will have to see.

If I played a 1500pts tournament I would just remove 4 of the Saurus Warriors to drop that over-payment.

My second upgrade plan after all that is to get a Slaan (I may get the Lord Kroak model since you could use him as any Slaan - they're just having a bad day - but couldn't use a regular Slaan as Lord Kroak), with Saurus Guard (15 in 3 units of 5) and a Saurus Eternity Warden which would be arranged as an Eternal Starhost. That would add another 780pts (1080pts if Lord Kroak). Big beasts would follow, Engine of the Gods especially.

So after reading all that any thoughts, suggestions, comments?

tom ndege, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Welcome aboard! Bloodclaw starhost would be good for you to experiment with as well aince you are going saurus heavy. Being able to use the Command abilities of all the saurus heroes you bring. You could convert an oldblood on foot as well using a saurus body, the extra head and the chest plates left over. And I would also recommend a sunblood.

benclark likes this.
  3. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Hmm googling I found the scan of that Bloodclaw Starhost in this forum (attached it here for convenience), interesting. Seems very good. I think they screwed up though because there is no such thing as an unmounted Scar-Veteran despite being one of the options they give you for taking a Hero. Not sure why it's not an option in our army lists as it makes sense. Because you can have the same units in multiple Starhosts I could run this and the Firelance Starhost with the same guys, same then when I get the Guard for the Eternity Starhost, should I get a Sunblood too could then run the Sunclaw Starhost which is a lot of extra attacks!

Had totally forgotten that with the second Start Collecting! kit I would have the parts for an Oldblood on foot. Why do I see 3000pts+ battles becoming the norm lol

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated!

Attached Files:

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That's been corrected to be an Oldblood on foot. Some were hoping for the Astrolith bearer, but sadly not the case.

benclark likes this.
  5. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Well that's still good, one less model for me to worry about lol. I'll have to buy the actual warscroll through the App at some point. I think the Astrolith Bearer would be a little bit too good since the hit rolls are the ones you're going to fail more of at 5+ but still the Oldblood is good being able to reroll wound rolls.

Bowser likes this.
  6. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

Just a quick correction - you can't have the same unit in multiple formations. So for example, you can't have the sane unit of saurus warriors in both the bloodclaw and sunclaw starhosts at the sane time.

Best of luck with your collection!

Seraphage likes this.
  7. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Thanks for the reply! I think I misunderstood that line in the Battletome, I guess it's referring in the Seraphon case to the Starbeast Constellation where they get the benefits of both the Constellation and each of of their respective Starhosts. In this case what would be best, putting everyone in a Bloodclaw Starhost or just the warriors leaving the Knights in their FIrelance Starhost and Guard in the Eternal Starhost? The Bloodclaw Starhost would certainly save some points just running it while still giving good benefits across the board and I think is probabaly the best option but I do love the Firelance Starhost since that means each roll of 6 to wound now does 3 mortal wounds, not just 1 or 2.

Bowser likes this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Firelance all the way

9. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

3 mortal wounds? Isn't it 2 mortal wounds maximum? Or how can you get the firelances to give 3mortal wounds?

10. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

1 wound normally, then wound roll of six and Blazing Lances ability deals a second then assuming they charged Blazing Cohort from the Starhost deals a third. Gets even better if you have a Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur as any hit roll of six causes an additional attack. Theoretically you could cause six (or more assuming the six's to hit stack and trigger the ability again) wounds maximum per knight if you had the luck of the Gods on your side.

11. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

Sorry for not catching on but its not that clear to me :p

For example :
    You charged and the hitroll is succesfull and you do a woundroll and its a 6

-1normal wound the enemy can safe
    -1mortal wound from the knights lance
    -1mortal wound from the firelance starhoste
    -1mortal wound from....?

Where does the 3th come from?

The scar-vet carno ability to do go for an extra att on a hitroll of 6 is indeed interesting. Would also wonna know if that stacks :D
    (What i kinda think it does...)

Thanks for the great info btw! :D

12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

It would be 1 regular wound and 2 mortal wounds.

milman and benclark like this.
  13. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Apologies yes I was getting my wording mixed up so one wound they can save and two mortal wounds, with potential for lots more. My Firelance will initially only be three groups of five but I can see me running way more Knight's. It's too good not to.

Bowser and milman like this.
  14. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Hey Bowser just wondering if you could point me to where this got corrected? It's not in the Order FAQ and I'm just wondering as the Astrolith Bearer as he now is used to be a Scar-Veteran with Battle Standard, obviously doesn't matter since names have to match exactly, just be good to know if I'm missing an FAQ or something lol.

About to order my second Start Collecting box to get me on my way to the Bloodclaw Starhost, already purchased for $20 the 12 Saurus Warriors my friend had from his kit so will be up to a unit of 36 which is sweet. Then I'll just need a Sunblood and that will be the Starhost started in it's smallest form.

Edit - Will add in the meantime I've messaged the GW Age of Sigmar FB page as on their page I actually found answers for both Astrolith Bearer and Oldblood the most recent that I could find being for Astrolith Bearer. To me it's the only one that makes sense since it's the only Saurus Hero missing from the list.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Screenshot_2016-08-27-11-50-37.png

benclark likes this.
  16. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

That's funny, literally one week newer than this that I found. I wonder if I got the warscroll in the app if they bothered updating it to either answer? If they haven't replied by the time I get home from work I'll attach both our images and see. I'm sure none of us would mind using an Astrolith in the formation lol

Attached Files:

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  17. Solabar
    Skink

Solabar Member

Hmm the way I read those two responses they aren't mutually exclusive. They are answering specific questions. Can we use an oldblood instead, yes. Can we use a standard bearer instead, yes.

Bowser and benclark like this.
  18. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

Agreed. They are both specific questions with no room for alternative answers. And of course to my knowledge the rules team never clarifies anything like this. I'm going to send both images in to the team with my message that they already have because even my question only has a couple of options now I read it back. If both answers are correct Astrolith all the way in this Starhost.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  19. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

It has not been updated in the app.

20. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I'll read that as Oldblood on foot. Everything else doesn't make much sense for me.

Bowser likes this.