1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Kblock's Battle Reports

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Kblock, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

Battle Report 1 - Lizardmen vs. Dark Elves - 2200 pts.

A few weeks ago I played my first battle with my Lizardmen army. 2200 pts. against Dark Elves. Dark Elf list is an estimate of what he had but should be close.

I am new to WHFB and my opponent stopped playing at 6th Ed., and is just starting up again with 8th Ed.

Lizardmen:

Lords:
    Slann: General
    Lore of Light
    Harmonic Convergence
    Channeling Staff
    Iron curse Icon

Heroes:
    Scar Vet on foot
    Light Armour
    Sword of Striking
    Enchanted Shield
    Luckstone

Scar Vet on Cold One BSB
    Light Armour
    Handweapon
    Dawnstone

Skink Priest Lvl 1
    Lore of Heavens
    Dispel Scroll
    Dragonbane Gem

Core:
    20X Saurus HW and Shield (Saurus 1 in report)
    Musician
    Standard Bearer

18X Saurus Spear with Shield (Scar Vet Here)(Saurus 2 in report)
    Musician
    Standard Bearer

10X Skin Skirmisher Blowpipe (Skink Priest here)

10X Skink Skirmisher Blowpipe

Special:
    20X Temple Guard Halberd with Shield (Slann here)
    Revered Guardian
    Standard Bearer - Standard of Discipline

5X Cold One Riders with Spears (Scar Vet cowboy here)
    Musician
    Standard Bearer

Jungle Swarm (2 swarms in unit)

Rare:
    Ancient Stegadon
    EOTG
    Sharpened Horns

Dark Elves:

Lords:
    Sorceress Lvl 4 on Cold one
    Dark Magic

Heroes:
    Death Hag BSB
    Cauldron of Blood

Core:
    20x Black Ark Corsairs
    2 HW
    Standard Bearer

20x Black Ark Corsairs
    2HW
    Standard Bearer

50-60 Witch Elves (Cauldron of Blood here)

5X Dark Riders with Crossbows

5X Dark Riders with Crossbows

Special:
    5X cold One Knights (Sorceress here)

Rare:
    War Hydra with two handlers

The battlefield was set so that on my deployment area there was a hill on the left side and a forest on the right side. The Dark Elf deployment (from my perspective) had a hill and forest on the left side and a hill on the right side. In the center of the field was a large ruin that caused fear in any unit within 3 inches of the ruins.

Lizardmen Deployment:

- Left side was a Skink unit on the hill and my Ancient Steg.
    - Center/right was Saurus 1 unit, Jungle Swarm, and Temple Guard/Slann.
    - Right side was Saurus 2 unit, Cold One, and the second Skink unit with Priest in the forest.

Dark Elf Deployment: (From my prespective)

- Left side was two units of Dark Riders.
    - Center/Right was the War Hydra , one unit of Corsairs, and Witch Elves/Cauldron.
    - Right side was the second Corsair unit and Cold One Knights/Sorceress.

Turn 1:

- Before anything else happened, the Dark Riders had a vanguard move up the left side of the field.
    - Dark Elves won the roll for who goes first.

Dark Elves:

- All Dark Elf units moved forward.
    - Dark Riders moved forward to shooting range and shot at Skinks and Steg, killing 2 Skinks. The Skinks passed their Leadership test.
    - Winds of magic were OK but the Slann dispelled the first spell cast and then the Sorceress failed to cast the next.

Lizardmen:

- The Temple Guard, both Saurus units, and the Jungle Swarm moved only 2 inches to maneuver them around the ruins and prepare for charges.
    - Skink unit with Priest moved out of the woods to spell range.
    - Cold Ones moved in behind the Skinks.
    - Skink Unit on left stayed on the hill and the Ancient Steg moved to face the Dark Riders.
    - Winds of Magic were weak and the Slann used the Skink Priest as an arcane vassal to cast Shem’s at the Cold One Knights causing 2 wounds.
    - The EOTG bound spell affected both units of Dark Riders and one fled off the edge of the board.
    - Skinks shooting at the other Dark Riders killed another (unit was down to 2) but they passed their panic test and held.

Turn 2:

Dark Elves:

- The Hydra charged and with a great roll got to my Saurus 1 unit. The Saurus passed the fear test. (Not sure why he did not use the breath weapon), The combat ended with the Saurus causing some wounds and winning the CR. Two Saurus were killed. The hydra failed his leadership test and fled. The Saurus did not catch the Hydra.
    - The Dark Riders charged the Skinks on the hill and the Skinks tried to flee. They were run down. (This was a tactical error on my part. I should have done a stand and shoot with only 2 Dark Riders coming. I might have killed them with the poison darts).
    - The two Corsair units, and the Witch Elves moved forward.
    - The Cold Ones failed the charge on my Skinks with Priest.
    - Winds of Magic allowed a spell to be cast on my Skinks/Priest which prevented any further actions by them this turn.

Lizardmen:

- The ancient Steg moved to face Dark Riders.
    - Saurus 1 Unit, chasing the Hydra, charged a unit of Corsairs and won the battle. The Corsairs fled and were run down as the Saurus overran into the hydra. (This was fortunate because it put them out of the charge arc of the Witch Elves.)
    - The Temple Guard Moved forward and the Jungle Swarm moved between Temple Guard and Witch Elves.
    - Saurus 2 unit maneuvered to take a charge the next turn.
    - Winds of Magic were weak and the Slann cast Net of Amyntok with irresistible force on the Witch Elves and rolled a 7 on the Miscast table. He destroyed 7 of the Temple Guard. The other spells were dispelled.

Turn 3:

Dark Elves:

- The Hydra turned to face the Saurus 1 unit and was killed during the combat. (The Saurus passed their Fear test).
    - The Witch Elves charged and were intercepted by the Jungle Swarm. The Swarm killed 3 witch Elves but were destroyed. The Witch Elves overran into the Temple Guard due to Frenzy.
    - The Corsair unit charged my Saurus 2 unit and lost the combat. The Corsairs failed a Leadership test and fled, and were run down by the Saurus.
    - The Cold One riders charged the Skink unit with the Priest. The Skinks fled through my Cold Ones (who did not panic), and the Dark Elf Cold Ones ended their charge at my Cold Ones. CR was static.
    - The Dark Riders moved along the table edge toward the Temple Guard.
    - Winds of Magic were OK. The Sorceress cast a spell that killed one Cold One and two Skinks. The next spell was dispelled by the Slann.

Lizardmen:

- The Skink unit with Priest rallied.
    - Saurus 1 unit moved toward the Witch Elf flank.
    - Saurus 2 unit charged the flank of the Dark Elf Cold Ones and passed their Fear test. The Cold One Vs. Cold One combat killed another of my riders and two of the Dark Elf Riders. The Saurus 2 unit killed another Dark Elf rider and the Sorceress failed her Leadership test and fled off the board. Saurus 2 unit pursued off the table edge, but the remaining Cold Ones both passed their test to Restrain Pursuit because of the Skink Priest nearby.
    - The Temple Guard fought the Witch Elves and killed a few, but the Witch Elves killed most of the Temple Guard (Cauldron of Blood and Horde formation gave them something like 40 attacks.) Because of the Sacred Guardian rule, the remaining Temple Guard were Stubborn and held their ground.
    - Ancient Steg moved toward the Dark Riders.
    - Winds of Magic were OK and the Slann cast Shem’s at the Witch Elves through the Skink Priest, killing a few.
    - With an excellent dice roll for range the EOTG spell managed to kill the last two Dark Riders.

Turn 4:

Dark Elves:

- The Dark Elves were down to just the Witch Elves/Cauldron with no spell caster. The Witch Elves killed the rest of the Temple Guard, but not the Slann. The Slann failed leadership and fled. The Witch Elves pursued but amazingly, did not catch the Slann.

Lizardmen:

- The Slann rallied.
    - Saurus 1 unit tried to charge the flank of the Witch Elves but failed the charge.
    - Saurus 2 unit moved back onto the board.
    - The Cold Ones charged the opposite flank of the Witch Elves. For an unknown reason, the Death Hag challenged my Scar Vet on the cold One, who accepted the challenge and sliced the Hag to pieces. The CR with the remaining Cold Ones was static as I lost another Cold One and some Witch Elves were killed.
    - Ancient Steg moved toward the battle.
    - Winds of Magic were weak, and the Skink Priest failed to cast Iceshard Blizzard.

Turn 5:

Dark Elves:

- The Witch Elves were still in combat with the Cold One and Scar Vet on Cold One so they could not move. A few Witch Elves were killed in combat, but they passed the Leadership test and held (the ranks and Cauldron saved them).

Lizardmen:

- Saurus 1 unit charged the flank of the Witch Elves.
    - Saurus 2 unit charged the rear of the Witch Elves.
    - Cold Ones continued combat.
    - Ancient Steg moved closer to battle.
    - Skinks stayed put in the forest.
    - Winds of Magic were strong. The Slann cast the large versions of both Speed of Light and Birona’s Time Warp with no miscast.

At this point, knowing that he was going to face 42 Saurus and 10 Scar Vet attacks at WS10 with ASF, the Dark Elf player conceded the battle. The Dark Elf Sorceress returned to Naggarond in disgrace!

Analysis:

The game went well for me due to some good rolls at opportune times and due to some tactical errors from my opponent. It was the first time using my army and the combination of my two Saurus units with the Temple Guard in the center worked well with the Lore of Light, especially at the end game.

I did make a tactical error with my Skink unit by trying to flee the Dark Riders on Turn 2, but that is a good learning experience that did not cost me the game. I also did not have my Jungle Swarm far enough away from my Temple Guard unit to prevent the Witch Elves Frenzy from getting them the charge. That is again a learning experience that will help in future games.

The tactical error that really changed the game was my opponent deciding to challenge my Scar Vet cowboy with his Death Hag. Some good rolls with the two remaining Cold Ones in the unit combined with the failed challenge allowed the Scar Vet and two Cold One Riders keep the Witch Elf unit stationary for 2 full turns. That allowed my Saurus units to get into position for the flank and rear charges, and also allowed my Slann to rally and cast the winning spell combination.

Unit performance:

- Jungle Swarm – It worked Ok to redirect, but not well enough. I may or may not use them again.
    - Skinks – Did their job by taking out the some Dark Riders and redirecting the Dark Elf Cold Ones, both for a charge and drawing some magic from the Sorceress. Good job little guys.
    - Ancient Steg – No charges this game, but the EOTG took out a Dark Rider unit and kept that unit from affecting the rest of the game.
    - Temple Guard – A big disappointment. They did survive 2 rounds of combat with the Witch Elves, and a miscast by the Slann, but they were destroyed to a lizard. Granted, they were facing the front of a 50-60 strong Witch Elf unit with a Cauldron of Blood, but it was still disappointing to have them destroyed. I will give them another chance.
    - Slann – The magic worked OK. The Winds of Magic were not kind every turn, but most enemy spells were dispelled, and the casting of the last turn spells were the final nail in the coffin for the Dark Elves. I love my big frog!
    - Cold One Riders – They did OK. They helped destroy the Dark Elf cold Ones and chase the Sorceress off the battlefield. Then they got a flank charge on the Witch Elves and held them in place for 2 rounds of combat.
    - Scar Vets – Love these guys. Once they get into combat, they rock and add a nice punch to my Saurus and Cold One units.
    - Saurus – The stars of the battle! I only lost 5 out of 38 Saurus the entire battle. Saurus 1 took out the War Hydra, a unit of Black Ark Corsairs, and got a flank charge on the Witch Elves. Saurus 2 took out a unit of Black Ark Corsairs and helped kill the Dark Elf Cold Ones and chased the Sorceress off the field of battle. Then they got the rear charge on the Witch Elf Unit.

2. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Nice battle report. That was a hell of a witch elf list (similar to whats floating around my neighbourhood) so I thought you were toast.

Glad it worked out

3. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

This is a duplicate thread. Will one of the Mods please remove it? I checked the FAQ but could not find a way to delete a topic.

Thanks!