1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Konquata - Albion : Forge of the Old Ones

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Mr Phat, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Just tripped over this fluff.

Lizardmen appearantly changed the climate and started building a temple-city, "Konquata", on the northern Island "Albion", to secure something called "The Forge of The old ones".

The island is inhabited by the "Fimir", which is a semi-lizardish cyclops-race.

Does anyone know the story / where to find it?
    And does it contain any leads or implications about new units NOT from lustria? or maybe new
    technology recovered from the forge?

just throwing it out there, dont have anything but a half-believed notion to back it up.

Warden likes this.
  2. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

So the map of the warhammer world is basically just a map of the modern world.

Lustria = brazil, empire = germany, chaos waste = siberia, bretonnia = brittany (france), nippon = japan, and the list goes on and on. Albion is the equivalent to great britain and is filled with giants, fimir, and druids who worship at stone henge.

The reason the lizardment built a temple city there was to give us a reason to take part in the 2012 campaign called "shadows over albion"

External link to wiki page on the topic - http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Albion

3. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Albion was the background for the global campaign 'Dark Shadows' a few years back. Maybe 2003?

The Lizardmen colonisation was based on the results of the campaign, where Lizardmen did really well and were declared 'winners' (alongside I think Empire, Orcs and one of the Elves - Dark Elves, maybe). IIRC they got a bunch of WD special items out of it that were obviously 40k items, and it possibly foreshadowed the emergence of the Engine in the Lustria campaign book a little later, as well as the theme behind some later book items.

But that's all we will get out of it. The Dark Shadows campaign has been airbrushed from Fantasy history, much like Storm of Chaos is at the moment.

hardyworld likes this.
  4. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I see. how dissapointing.

Any leads in similar and newer campaigns?

5. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

I always thought of Bretonnian = Britain. Empire = France.

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Brettonians are located in the spot where France is and their culture is 80/20 British and French. The British Isles roughly correspond to Ulthuan

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  7. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

8. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

No and never, is my understanding. The Storm of Chaos campaign was regarded as a monumental flop by GW, and the concept of global campaigns was quickly abandoned after that. We haven't had one since, and that was, what, 10 years ago?

9. Silverbolt
    Temple Guard

Silverbolt Active Member

I remember Storm of Chaos fondly. It was really big at the rogue trader store I played at in Florida. So many Chaos Lords fell to poisoned darts that campaign. Never did play any Skaven though...

hardyworld likes this.
  10. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Albion, even beyond being "Britain", is a parody of the island of Avalon, the magical island protected by impenetrable mists in Arthurian and other British legend. In the global campaign, it was an island of great mystical importance, and all the races of the world raced to reach it when its protective mists began to dissipate.

11. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

by that map, shouldn't lustria be more central america for the mayan/aztec deal?

12. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

Well, Albion is actually just an old name for Britain. They made it pretty obvious what they were going for using an old name for britain and having druids who worship stones that look oddly like stonehenge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion

Bingo, that is what i was looking for!

13. rexti
    Skink

rexti New Member

Storm of chaos was fantastic, until they completely flopped the ending. Having Grimgor beat chaos, bring archaon to his knees and just leave him alive was out of character. Valten was great and built up well, but then he got taken out in seconds and murdered by a skaven, making the entire story arch of the empire feel pointless, and worst of all in my opinion was how they lied about the events of the campaign and outright insulted things like Bohsenfels which had become icons during the campaign as it was effectively the Lenningrad of the campaign for order and a location which singlehandedly kept an entire faction going throughout the campaign, and then Gav Thorpe decided to take a dump all over it. Actually, this made me so pissed it was a main factor towards making me give up the hobby entirely (at 15 you are not always reasonable).

The campaign itself was good, but the storytelling and ending was atrocious. I kinda miss big summer events though.

14. serbianwolf
    Cold One

serbianwolf Active Member

Ulthuan is atlantis, not Britain, and empire is the classic holly roman (german) empire.

15. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

I second that. Kinda easy to tell if you're a history geek like myself.

16. lizardmen98
    Saurus

lizardmen98 Member

Albion is the literal old word for Britain/England.
    Even being English (but born in Poland) I think it's typical games workshop set a tourney in ancient Britain.

17. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

I know this is 6 years old but I'm pretty sure the Forge of the Old ones was were the mortal races were first designed and made.