1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Kroak and Standard bearer

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Aug 14, 2015.

1. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

So Kroak's Celestial deliverance spell has a range of 3 D6, making it roughly a 10 inch range. The battle standard bearer can make his Celestial conduit thing and give +1 to Kroak's castings and give the spell +8 range.

Imagine having just two Stanadard bearers and Kroak. His spell would then have a minimum range of 19 inches, an average of 26 and a maximum of 34 inches. Just wow

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    n810 likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Kroak-bomb!

I don't dabble in AoS, but I'm curious to know if Kroak is as dominant as we originally thought him to be. Anyone fielding him? How is he faring? How does he compare against other elite characters?

3. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

cyberhawk94 Active Member

Kroak is quite possibly one of the best characters in the game.

Slann and Kroak cast more spells then almost any other character in the game (even Kairos Fateweaver can only cast 2 a turn), and unlike a Slann, whose bonus spell isnt that great, Kroaks are both really good. Combine that with all of his summoning nonsense, and his refusal to die, and the fact that he is better in combat than a damn Oldblood.

Kroak, a Chameleon Skink Patrol, and Bastilodons are quickly becoming my new Daemon Prince +Chimera combo

NIGHTBRINGER, Ixt and n810 like this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's strange that he is superior to an Oldblood in combat. So can you think of any real reason of taking an Oldblood then? Kroak doesn't even detract from the total number of wounds fielded (for those balancing armies based on total wounds amongst other things).

5. Lug
    Jungle Swarm

Lug New Member

The main use I can see for an Oldblood is to bring him for his 'non-command ability' buff, allowing all saurus models within 5'' to re-roll failed wound rolls of a 1. He seems to be the only way in which saurus warriors / temple guard or other saurus characters can re-roll failed wounds.

Since he can use this ability when he is not your general he doesn't have a downside so much, unless you are playing by wound counts or limiting your armies to a limited number of heroes for balance.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'm assuming that most people are employing a comp or list leveling system (though I could be wrong). Otherwise there is no reason (outside of the sudden death rules) to field everything.

7. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

If you are using wounds counts as a balance system, then Kroak usually is counted as 10 (it would be silly to count him as 0) but even still the Oldblood is probably our worst character overall

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So would Kroak be our best character? How does he stack up to a regular Slann?

9. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

Kroak is easily our best character. Gor-rok and Chak'ax are also pretty good, but Kroak is unstoppable.

Compared to a regular Slann, he is much more offensive compared to supportive. Hes a bit more expensive (wounds wise), and lacks the Constellations chart (which is excellent once you get it to the Drake) and the shielding Command ability; but he gains an extra spell, two very offensive spells, and combat beastliness.

Bowser likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Sounds like Kroak has revived his 5th edition combat days.

11. Geko747
    Skink

Geko747 New Member

Lord Kroak is a beast, I use him now every time in my list. Get him up close with a unit of temple guard and they will destroy anything that comes at them.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Korloq Huan
    Skink

Korloq Huan Member

Yup, I've just added him to my list in my local Rise of Legends campaign and he wrecks face. Being able to cast celestial deliverance 3 times is great, and it whoops chaos. Since he could cast Arcane Bolt, Comet's, and Celestial Deliverance twice per turn he can deal anywhere of 3xD3 - 5xD3 upwards mortal wounds per turn. I did that in a game today and nearly killed a unit of 20 High elf hoeth sword masters in one turn.

Bowser likes this.
  13. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yeah, Lord kroak is a force of nature! In melee took down the vermin lord king! Chakax on stand by to absorb some wounds. Thes guys come in here thinking they can beat a dead frog!
    Lord kroak file photo: Screenshot_2015-10-07-17-21-57.png

Crowsfoot likes this.
  14. Khelandros
    Cold One

Khelandros Active Member

Can you use Lord Kroak's/Tetto'eko's abilities to re-roll the turn initiative roll?

15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

They both state any dice. So tentatively yes. But I would defer to the most important rule and allow you and your opponent to make that call together. But as it stands, yes you can.

16. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

There's a bit of humour there, I find. Because the Slann is more supportive and Kroak is more aggressive, as you say. But Kroak ironically shines better in a defensive army where he acts like Dwarf Cannons and blasts people from range to force them to attack, while the Slann is better for aggressive armies because his buffs increase horde summoning potential and help attackers hit better.

Oh and yes, you absolutely can. It's any roll until your next hero phase.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.