1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kroxigor

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by To-neh of LaTigra, May 7, 2009.

1. To-neh of LaTigra
    Saurus

To-neh of LaTigra New Member

Has anyone else noticed that the new Kroxigor models are almost twice the size of the old ones?

I converted another Krox to match the size of the new ones and it's twice as big as my other Krox that were converted to match the size of the last edition models.

http://glennsgwmodels.blogspot.com/2009/05/kroxigor.html

Does anyone know what the rule is for using larger bases for models. I know in 40k you can always put a model on a larger base, but never smaller. I was thinking of using this new Krox as an Oldblood since I can't find a use for a 3rd Krox (I use 2 in skink units).

I was just wondering if it'd be legal to use an Oldblood on a 40mm base instead of a 25mm. If you think about it, an Oldblood SHOULD be larger than a Kroxigor anyway. Same scaly skin & number of wounds, but higher T, S, I, Atx & WS

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow your krox conversion looks great! My only criticism is that the weapon looks a touch small, like he would snap the weapon before making good use of it.

I think there is mention of base size near the start of the book, and you might be able to go one way but not the other like in 40k, but I also suspect it says they must be on the sized base they came on. That kind of model as an old blood would look a bit out of place yet still very cool, just remember on a 40mm base you would have a hard time fitting it into a saurus unit.

3. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

An Oldblood is still a saurus though, so it would be strange if he was just a lot bigger.

To answer your question, fantasy is absolutely rigid when it comes to base sizes, as that is how line of sight, combat, movement... pretty much everything is determined by measuring from your base. To be totally legal, all measurements should be done from the edge of the base itself, and not include any of the "fluff" aspects of your model (movement trays, fancy basing extensions, etc.)

4. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

That Kroxigor looks awesome, as for the base size, they'd have to be the same as the Saurus base even if you wanna use a Krox as a saurus. Though your krox makes me wish we could have Kroxigor heroes.

5. To-neh of LaTigra
    Saurus

yeah, out of all the special characters they included in the new book, they couldn't make Naki the Wanderer? What's up with that?

6. SlipKnoT
    Skink

SlipKnoT New Member

Its Games Workshop...their yob is to mess things up. Btw that Kroxigor looks fantastic.
    off topic: those new kroxigors, they coming im plastic box with 3 of them or what?

7. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

The new kroxigors are a much needed improvement on the previous version. The previous kroxs did not do the description of a krox justice at all! They were rather small and sluggish looking in my opinion. The new models reflect what a krox should be! Has anyone noticed that the new models resemble greatly the old kroxigor models?

Only pity with kroxs is that they are only strength 4 now :(

So here is a question I put to the Old Ones: Why spawn kroxigors to build your temples when the saurus are just as strong??

I think GW messed up a little here. I see that they wanted them to be in line with other 3 wound models like ogres but it goes completely against the purpose of the krox. I think it would have been better if the krox was str 6 and armed with a hand weapon. In this way the strength would ultimately be the same but it would reflect the krox's superiority as regards strength when compared to a normal saurus. Hell even a skink chief has a strength of 4!!

Old Ones please take note!

Aranigej

8. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

Awesome conversion... and great paint job as well... although i do agree the strewart, the weapons do look a bit small compared to the games workshop ones.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Alas no. There were some sitings of plastic ones waay before release, but they obviously were just a work up or prototype, we are stuck with metal krox. A plastic box would be pretty cool though.

And yeah, I would be happy with s6 krox with no weapons. It is a great points, why spawn krox to build when saurus are just as strong. :p Maybe it is because krox have more attacks so they can work the bricks quicker? :rolleyes:

10. To-neh of LaTigra
    Saurus

Str 5 with halberds would represent the model better. I also think they should be T5 given the a Scar-vet is smaller, but still tougher.

11. Scarloc
    Chameleon Skink

Scarloc New Member

How about Str 6 with just hand weapons?

12. To-neh of LaTigra
    Saurus

because the weapons the models have are clearly not hand weapons

13. Scarloc
    Chameleon Skink

Scarloc New Member

Yes but they had the chance to model it any way they liked. Actually a naga like crox with 4 arms would rock.

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Nw models meant they could do what they liked, and who cares if it is a huge weapon. An elf great weapon in the hands of an ogre looks like a dagger, it is all relative. I would be happy usingh massive weapons as hand weapons.

15. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Definitely agree with strewart on this. The great weapon issue is all relative to the model wielding it. In the case of the krox, it would have made more sense, character wise, to have the model armed with hand weapons and with a basic strength of 6.

I also like the idea of To-neh of LaTigra. In this way the krox would remain at strength 5 but instead of the GW we all love(d) they would be equiped with a halberd.