1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Kroxigors and great reach

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by silje, Apr 4, 2011.

1. silje
    Skink

silje New Member

Hey all,

question:

Can enemies in CC. with a unit of skinks and kroxigors try to hit the kroxigors even though they stand in the second row in the mixed unit?

And oh yea, came up with another question, can kroxigors stomp from their second rank?

My guess would be no, since they are not in base contact with the kroxigors.
    Thnx for upcoming awnsers.

//Silje

2. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

in combat they cant be picked out(great reach is now ignored)

they get no stomp(need to be in base to do it)

3. silje
    Skink

silje New Member

Well then, seriously, what is the point on having krox in a skink unit?
    Skinks aren't that cheap, neither are krox. And they all suck...haha.

4. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

Skrox suck? all due respect but that sounds like someone who either hasn't tried them or doesn't know how to use them.

Skrox IMHO are great units.

Skinks are cheap???!!!! 5 points each sounds cheap to me. krox ok are point heavy, but you get what you pay for, 3 krox and 28 skinks is less than 30 saurus, and:

gives you 10 wide by four deep= horde
    krox cannot be hurt until enough skinks die that they have to join the front rank, thats 20 skinks must die before krox can be hit. during which they are dealing out 3 str 6 attacks each from the second rank. once in the front they then get stompp also and cause fear anyway.

Yours Aye

Mixer

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Mixer. I have better results with my Skrox than I usually have with my Saurus. My regular opponents (Skaven, Brettonia, HE) actually do not like to deal with my units of skrox. In my last game against skaven, my opponent commented that the skrox out performed my TG unit.

6. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

mixed krox can still attack over skinks using the supporting attacks rule(but they get 3 attacks) also if you horde your skinks they get to attack in 2 ranks of krox(plus 1 skink), so you get all these S6 attack that cant be picked out in combat, so ya, they get good.

the thing you have to watch out for is the lightly armored skinks tend to get creamed in combat res, so take something like lore of metal(glittering robe) or lore of life(+2/4T etc) to buff them.

Iv'e had similar experiences to the above, with my skinks performing well against slower less armored opponents(skaven etc) but in my game vs DE they got smashed in 1 round(something like -15 combat res) dont take them vs hordes.

my question is that, does a mixed unit use the KROX Ld7 or the skinks Ld6 for tests?

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

It uses the Krox's ld 7. Highest in the unit.

On that note, a highlight against Brettonia last Friday. My horde unit of skrox (2 were on the field) was down to 3 kroxigor (lost 1) and only 1 skink. I needed double 1s on my ld check. I rolled 3 1s. It was amazing.

8. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

Yea Ld 7 but i usually take a cheap cheif in the unit so Ld 8.

Yours Aye

Mixer

9. silje
    Skink

silje New Member

Well, you all have good points of using them. But that depends, for me and my mates we play ETC draft 5 wich is 2400 pts games. And if you want a horde unit of skinks+krox it takes about 400 pts minimum. And that is a lot of points that will give away almost free combat resolution points when then attack the skinks.

And maby why I have a negative point of view is that I compare krox with trolls and skinks with goblins. Goblins are cheaper, so are trolls, and trolls have regeneration rule and are 10 pts cheaper.
    Though, I haven't used skrox in a game, but im open for suggestions. Maby you can get me some nice tips on how to use them?

Teach me old ones.

10. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Actually the errata removes great reach, so they cannot be targeted in cc until all the skinks are gone from base contact, and they receive the 3 attacks from the second rank as they are monstrous infantry.

Also I have considered fielding the entire front rank of a unit like this with skink chiefs as they are s4 t4, could make a tough unit especially with the frenzy banner.

11. silje
    Skink

silje New Member

Thnx for the tactical tips.
    But really, fielding a kind of weak unit with the entire first rank with skink heroes? that unit would cost really really mutch.

If i field a unit of skrox, what do you recomend to have unit in width? how many skinks in the first row?

12. Arli
    Skink Priest

I took two units of 35 skinks and 3 kroxigors today against Beastmen. 2250 pt game with an etheral slann, scar vet, and skink chief on terradon (with staff of the lost sun- total waste on the chief and scar vet). The objective of the battle was to defend 5 camp tokens. I placed them and deployed my army in order to make his army have to get through my lines to attack the camp tokens.

Long story short, the skrox units utterly destroyed two charriots, two units of gors (I think), and a unit of chaos hounds (or whatever those things were).

Wonderful day had by the Lizardmen army.

13. silje
    Skink

silje New Member

Cool, thanks for the update! Allways nice to read about Liz games.

So the skrox unit worked out well? did you have a horde unit? or just enough skinks to surround the krox?

14. Arli
    Skink Priest

I ended up using a unit 8 skinks wide. That way I hade protection around the kroxigors. It worked really well. I could have changed it into a horde formation, but it was not needed as there were no other hordes on the field.

15. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

You can't have two ranks of krox as skrox rule says the krox have to go in 2nd rank with no option for placing in ranks further back.

16. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

you're right it does say they're always placed in the second rank, but it doesn't say they're only placed there, and there are circumstances where they're place in the front rank(not enough skinks) I suppose well have to extrapolate, i mean, what happens when you run out of space in the second rank to put a kroxigor? There's no upper limit on the amount of krox you can have, and theres no rule saying you have to widen the squad to fit more either. So I guess you'll have to fill the whole second rank with krox before starting a third(this changes my deployment, thanks for pointing it out).

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well I wouldn't matter anyway since Kroxigor take up the second and third ranks in the skink unit,
    with your second row of kroxigors taking up the fourth and fith ranks...

18. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

except while the krox count as 2 ranks for rank bonus purposes they don't work that way for supporting attacks purposes. Otherwise no cavalry in the game would ever get supporting attacks, yet they do.

19. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Thats because mixed units work diferently that regular units...
    are you insuniating that I was trying to say that one rank of calvery
    counted as 2 ranks...? Because that was nothing at all like i was saying.

20. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

Thats what I was understanding you as meaning when you said that a kroxigore took up 2 ranks. My bad if thats not what you meant.

When counting supporting attacks a good rule of thumb is to just count models going back from the front(when dealing with mixed squads), of course its not usually the case as most squads are the same sized models, and thus saying your fighting in three ranks actually means your fighting in three ranks, not say 4 or 6, as the case may be with larger bases mixed in.